cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guest Network Problems on GT-AX11000 AiMesh Network

ceglia
Level 9
Hi,

New to the forums. I have an AiMesh network composed of two GT-AX11000 routers connected to one another via ethernet. I have various devices connected to the 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz and 5Ghz-1 bands and they are able to connect to the main router or the mesh node without any problems. So far, so good.

I recently set up a Guest Network using the 2.4Ghz band. All devices can connect to the Guest Network via the main router, but they cannot connect to the Guest Network via the mesh node.

Both GT-AX11000's are running the same latest firmware that is supposed to add support for the Guest Network across all mesh nodes. I enabled the "All" nodes option on Guest Network to ensure devices could connect to any node on the mesh network, but I can't get any device on the Guest Network to connect to the mesh node, even if they're sitting on top of the node and the main router is on an entirely different floor of the house.

I have exchanged various emails with tech support, but so far, they haven't been of any help. Anyone know what the issue might be? Details of my network are set out below....

Main Router: GT-AX11000 firmware 3.0.0.4.386_49599
AiMesh Node: GT-AX11000 firmware 3.0.0.4.386_49599
Guest Network Band: 2.4Ghz, "All" Mesh Nodes enabled
AiMesh Node connects to the Main Router with Cat6 Ethernet via a 2.5Gbit Network Switch (using 2.5Gbit ports on both routers)
Non-Guest Networks work perfectly across all nodes (2.4Ghz, 5Ghz, 5Ghz-1)
Tried removing the switch and connecting the two routers directly, just in case that would make a difference.... it doesn't.

Thanks!
30 REPLIES 30

Thank you for sharing that.

This morning I’m looking at a node that has lost it’s uplink, which for me to reach is in the back of a very full storage room.  But my two TP-Link range extenders never give any such trouble…

Racekonijn
Level 7
For anyone expierence guest network problems by using Asus Router (GT-AX11000) and asus AI Mesh node (in my case also GT-AX11000), try this:

- connect your router and node directy by cable or using WIFI backhaul, see if everything works well ==> then it's no firmware issue
- when the problem exists only when using a switch between router and node, the problem is on the switch. Most likely it will be a managed switch, (unmanaged switches seems allright).
The reason for this is ASUS is using VLAN ID tags to use guest networking between router and node.
For this to work, you need to configure your used ports (on the managed switch) to operate in "Tagged/trunked" mode, so VLAN ID packages are also send (instead of dropped)

In my case i'll added VLANs 501, 502, and 503 and tagged both ports (the port facing each Asus device).
Leaved VLAN 1 untagged on those same ports and leave PVID as the default VLAN 1.
Now my guestnetwork is available on router and node (when configured so) and works well with firmware 3.0.0.4.386.46065 or 3.0.0.4.386.49599!

Also make sure when flasing a new firmare, you reset your device by this procedure:
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039078/
Just upgrade without a reset causes many troubles in my experience.

@Racekonijn wrote:

- when the problem exists only when using a switch between router and node, the problem is on the switch. Most likely it will be a managed switch, (unmanaged switches seems allright).

i am actually using an unmanaged switch.  but i suspect your solution would work in my case as well, if i ever decide to set up AI Mesh in the future.  for now, i'm sticking with my AP setup, which is working fine.

actually thinking back.... i did try bypassing my switch to rule it out as part of the problem.  and it made no difference.  still couldn't connect devices to the AI Mesh Node router on the guest network.

Funny because the whole reason I bought an additional ASUS router was to set up AIMesh.... with an access point setup I would constantly experience issues with my devices staying connected to the more distant router for too long. Using the same SSIDs and passwords did not help with this issue. I'm very surprised it's working so well for you. There must be something unique to your house that is allowing it to work. Like perhaps you have a good enough connection to the more distant router that it isn't generally switching between the two. It would be interesting to test that.

@jpenns wrote:

There must be something unique to your house that is allowing it to work. Like perhaps you have a good enough connection to the more distant router that it isn't generally switching between the two. It would be interesting to test that.

I did test it, last year when I initially set everything up.  I noticed no connectivity differences between AiMesh and using an AP.  Both worked well.  And my phone switches all the time with no issues.  I live in a relatively large 2-story house, with a router on each floor, so it's always pretty obvious which router has the stronger signal, and my devices switch accordingly.

I sort of experienced what you're describing at my previous place, which was a smaller 2 bedroom apartment on a single floor.  I was using two older routers, the second of which was in bridge mode (which i think might be slightly different from an AP, not sure).  In that apartment, there were areas of the house where the further of the two routers was still close enough to send out a relatively strong signal, and in those instances, my phone or laptop would stay connected to that more distant router even though technically a stronger signal was available.

i believe there is a setting that can help in those instances, although i've never really had to mess with it and from what I'm reading online it doesn't always work.  Wireless > Professional > Roaming Assistant.  it automatically disconnects clients if the signal strength drops below a certain setting, and in theory that client would then connect to a different AP/router.

djacir
Level 8

So the only solution found so far for this issue is to not use the Ai Mesh network? The solution would be to use all routers as APs? Sad..

3.0.0.4.388.23285 is firmware released a few days ago.  The GT-AX11000 still has this problem?  For what model nodes?

Thats good news, my ax11000 firmware was outdated. I have just updated and at least in the living room where I have a GT-AC5300 everything seems fine now. I will soon be testing with the RT-AC86U and 88U that are located in different rooms. And if I still have any issues I'll report it here. Thank you for the help.

So with the new firmware update the guest network now works with the GT-AC5300 but it does not works with the other 2 routers (RT-AC88U and RT-AC86U)