cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AIO pump: where do you connect it?

Dan87
Level 8
Hi guys. I was wondering where did you connect your AIO pump. I have an h100i v2 and at the beginning I have connected it to the CPU header, then I switched to the pump header and I have connected an exhaust fan to the CPU header.

I have noticed that by switching to the pump header the AIO is extremely louder than it was when It was connected to the CPU header. I believe the reason is because now the pump constantly running at 100%. I was wondering if also the AIO fans are now running at 100% though which might be the reason why the AIO is so loud.

Any suggestion?

Thank you!
22 REPLIES 22

DerekAz wrote:
Absolutely sure. The instructions in every Corsair AIO I have owned are very clear to use the CPU_FAN header for the pump connection, it's a PC safety/protection issue. I would assume most other AIO manufacturers do also. I've been connecting the AIO pump there without issue for years, they aren't high amp. That 'w.pump' header is designed for separate hand made water cooling systems/loops.

but on my Asus Rog Strix "E" z690 DDR5 wifi gaming mobo. there is a specific header that says "AIO_PUMP", i tend to think I will not use that because it will probably run the fan at the highest RPM. I think i should just connect it to the CPU_FAN header and be done with it, but dang, how could ASUS make it any more confusing.

• What you're talking about is different. That is for if you have an actual liquid custom loop which requires much more power to run the pump. What were referring to in this thread is a closed loop system

M4D5TYL3Z wrote:
Obviously you havent come to the cross roads where the Motherboard AIO instructions tells you one thing and then the AIO manufacturer tells you another way of setting it up.
I am still tryna work out if AI suite 3 fan control is clashing with iCUE and ontop of that is using AI suite better for my video card OC and for control or is the actual ASUStweak 2 software better which comes with the card... ahhh the fun and joy of it all

If you got a Rog machine with one powerful 3pin Chasis fan attached on the radiator as an exhaust out...that once made beautiful UFO flying sound Zzsshhhhh Zsshhhh...silent but powerful enough during gaming... Well, that sound will never come back if you tried all ur cpu fan/ chasis fan -- and switching them with each other, Consider those magic numbers/settings gone! AI suite doesn't work well either, thanks to Microsoft for taking complete control over the Kernel... and Asus' lousy support/effort to keep the product alive.*

What will help you though is, get 4-pin fan... Install it on Chasis_1 (on the radiator), And Rad's pin(usually a 3-pin) on the CPU_Fan. Bios settings Auto for every where you find it. Save. Clean windows installation. And voila!
Never ever touch the kernel settings again! *

Menthol
Level 14
I recommend not using software to control your AIO, the following settings have worked for me without added software
Connect the pump power to to a SATA power connector, connect the pump control to the AIO header and let it run at 100% (the pump on 100% is very quit).
Connect the 2 radiator fans to CPU and CPU_opt fan headers on motherboard.
Control the fans in the bios, set to turbo if overclocking the CPU, silent for a more quit system, or standard

Menthol wrote:
I recommend not using software to control your AIO, the following settings have worked for me without added software
Connect the pump power to to a SATA power connector, connect the pump control to the AIO header and let it run at 100% (the pump on 100% is very quit).
Control the fans in the bios, set to turbo if overclocking the CPU, silent for a more quit system, or standard

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your advises. For someone new in PC building this is a real help.

I will try Menthol's suggestion and I'll let you know how it worked for me.

Dan87 wrote:
Thanks everyone, I appreciate your advises. For someone new in PC building this is a real help.

I will try Menthol's suggestion and I'll let you know how it worked for me.

So, I wasn't able to connect both fans to the CPU headers as the bottom one couldn't reach it (I have the AIO in the front). However, I have connected the top one to the CPU_opt and the bottom one to the chassis. I was able to control the fans from the bios and set them to standard. I have noticed that my BIOS recognise doesn't recognise my rear fan even though it works just fine.

Do not hesitate to give me more advises if you have some, as previously mentioned I truly appreciated them. Thanks for your support!

Menthol wrote:

Btw. if i use a splitter for the 2 fans will be ok )they come with the AIO? there is any benefit having your option.
Learn, Play Enjoy!

Itzycharles wrote:
Btw. if i use a splitter for the 2 fans will be ok )they come with the AIO? there is any benefit having your option.

Yes, the AIO has a splitter but to be honest I haven't tried if I could control the fans from the BIOS by having them plugged in the splitter... I guess I could, so I'll give it a try tomorrow. Thanks for the input.

Dan87 wrote:
Yes, the AIO has a splitter but to be honest I haven't tried if I could control the fans from the BIOS by having them plugged in the splitter... I guess I could, so I'll give it a try tomorrow. Thanks for the input.

I can try tomorrow and check if there is a difference. I get a asetek unit. I try to get one with a new gen pump to test i am ok so far since broke so i have to get one fast here.
Learn, Play Enjoy!

Hi, my Sim Racing PC THOR just went through another major upgrade. I pulled my Sabertooth X79, 4820K and 32 GB of DDR3 due to random black screens. The new parts are an Asus ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming motherboard, a i7 8700K and 16 GB of 3000 MHz DDR4. My system uses two cooling loops, the CPU cooler is a Corsair H115i Pro ROG with the Radiator mounted up in the top section of the case with four fans that pull cool air from outside. The case was modified by adding 1 1/2 inches to the height of the top section. By moving the Radiator up 1 1/2 inches I was able to install a cooper water block on the Mosfit's of the X79, it also had a cooper South Bridge water block that was part of the GPU water loop. The Strix Z390-E board has only been out a short time some, and there are no motherboard water blocks yet. Not that its needed now. So, about the fan headers. I truly love the software this board has for fan control. But there are so many different header types I'm at a loss. My PC uses 16 fans. OK, that might sound like over kill but its not. 8 fans are in the Case and 8 fans are outside the case. 4 x 140mm fans on the CPU Radiator. two 200mm fans, one on the side and one in the lower front to the case. plus two 120mm fans, one upper back and one upper front of case. Not sure of the best way to hook up the H115I. Now for the GPU custom loop. It starts outside on top of my Rig just above and at the back of the PC with a NIOChanger Pump/ 200ml Res Combo. Soft tubing goes across to a 700ml Res mounted on the back on the PC. Coming out the bottom the tubing changes to Cooper that is chrome plated. it goes into the case to a Full EK GPU water block. without the other two water blocks the tubing heads at a 45* to the front and exits just under the DVD drive. it turns back under my Rig changing to soft tubing it goes to a Cooper 480 Radiator, for there more cooper tubing goes back to the pump. The loop uses 40 oz of water and the Radiator has four hi static presser fans pushing air and four hi flow fans pulling air. The are all hooked to a NZXT GRID +V2 controller. It's an incredible system, Max temps in ultra are CPU 38C, GPU 48C And its a beautiful almost custom PC. If I understood these headers and all my fans and pumps where controlled through the boards software, That would be the cherry on top. I've attached some photos, any help would be great.