cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS 0901 and mouse

RickROG
Level 11
A minor annoyance because can still use keyboard. Every so often I loose the mouse pointer in BIOS setup and effectively the mouse function-does not function well, colored bars over the setting tell me where the mouse is at that moment, left click more colored bars, left click and cannot navigate drop down menus. Must use keyboard to navigate.
Sometimes when this happens in the BIOS dialogue "save settings and reset" when OK is hit-keyboard or mouse-the dialogue box just goes opaque and the setup hangs. I have to force a reboot using the case reset button or if that does not work force a shutdown. The system restarts OK and any settings changed in that session immediately before the "hang" are saved.
"If you say you can't, then, you probably can't"
14 REPLIES 14

GoNz0-
Level 10
BIOS 901 has more bugs than 802 so you would be better rolling back, amazed the PC isn't turning itself on yet?

GoNz0- wrote:
BIOS 901 has more bugs than 802 so you would be better rolling back, amazed the PC isn't turning itself on yet?

It turned itself on only once quite awhile ago, so, because it never happened again I just ignored it. My system is running really good right now; not tweaked very much, but, I figure leave well enough alone for right now and wait a little longer. I would imagine there will be a BIOS update in the works to be published sooner rather than later. 🙂

Chino wrote:
My guess would be incompatibility with your mouse

This mouse is just too old do you think? If I bought a newer Logitech mouse do you have any recommendations mayhaps? I don't like fancy, just accurate and wired. :)...not a fan of wireless mice.

If this is the root cause, then in my post https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?56106-USB-Issues&p=465221#post465221 might that also have something to do with my "A little Update here:" I added yesterday (third post in the thread)
Also, this morning my system hung coming out of sleep-qcode 6F-and I had to force a shutdown, disconnect the power supply afterwhich ye old "Overclocking failed..." message appeared and so on. Entered BIOS, all my custom settings-40 multiplier, CPU=1.152V, initial voltage >1.8V, mem=2133mz-intact, F10 and Bob's your uncle. The system is running just FINE-Perfect actually. completed two reboots and one cold boot since without issue.
You know what, I am just going to go ahead and buy another mouse because the more I think about it; the random nature of all these minor errors, so easily remedied-if only temporarily etc.-leads me to believe you may be on to something here.
I'll get it today and see how it all goes over the next week or so.

Thanks Chino 🙂

Chino
Level 15
If you don't mind losing USB 3.0, you can disable xHCI in the BIOS which should bring everything back to Legacy. Now I can't speak for all Logitech mice. I own the G402 Hyperion Fury so I can confirm that one works. LOL

If you don't mind losing USB 3.0, you can disable xHCI in the BIOS which should bring everything back to Legacy.

No, no heavens no....burn me alive, take my first born.... ROLOL

I own the G402 Hyperion Fury so I can confirm that one works.

Perfect, tomorrow I will go out and get (decided against the other listed in original post):
Logitech G502 Proteus Core Tunable Gaming Mouse http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_279_275&item_id=070478

The Logitech is just basically an upgrade from the one you own (newer etc.) I shall report back.

Thanks Chino 🙂

Raja
Level 13
I've used the Razer copperhead and most of the Corsair mice with our boards without issue. The ROG Gladius works well, too (obviously).

XHCI may cause issues with anything old - it will be up to the device vendors to update FW for these devices.

For best compatibility sticking with the newer more popular stuff is best. Things we can buy easily in Tawian are easier for us to test and patch if the issue lies on our side. Anything old or in limited circulation makes it more difficult for us.

The ROG Gladius works well, too (obviously).

Looks like I spoke too soon; ordered one and should have it today, Jan. 23. I like this mouse-looks, specs, thoughtfulness in design, extras and it appears it will be comfortable in my big hands.

I've used the Razer copperhead

I've had a lot of problems with the Razer products I bought in the past (keyboard and separate mouse); reliability mainly, like they're built from cheap parts. So, I stay away from their products like the plague-each to their own though. 🙂

...most of the Corsair mice with our boards without issue

They're nice, but, small for my big ape like paws LOL. Do you think the Logitech G502 Proteus Core is new enough? Logitech is fairly popular, Chino is running the 402 (same diff') without issue and seems OK with this pick because he has not posted any negative feedback.

After I switch the meeses out I will run it for a week or so and report back because in that time my PC would've acted up.

Thanks Raja

RickROG
Level 11
I know I said I'd wait a week, but, I just could not wait any longer to give some immediate feedback.
@ Raja; I guess the Logitech G502s Proteus Core Gaming Mouse is compatable-plus 1 🙂
@Chino; I no longer have to spam the Del key; just once during post and Bob's your uncle to enter UEFI setup, the mouse pointer shows everytime I enter setup, after multi cold boots, reboots, awakening from sleep (I always have hyberfil and Fast Start Disabled) the system completed all without any issue and it would have acted up in at least one of those scenarios by now.
Thanks Chino and Raja
PS; I will report back again in a week