cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well looks like Intel ME Firmware update just bricked my Asus Z490-I

scgt1
Level 8
I ran MoKiChU's Firmware : 14.1.60.1790 [18/08/2021] from https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?117768-FIRMWARE-Intel-ME-(Z490) by first running the check as Admin then the install.cmd as admin. It went through the update then rebooted and rebooted and rebooted.........To the sum of 20+ times of clicking on, barely spooling the fans and turning on the rgb before shutting off again. Over and over. Can't just let it do that all day so shut it off with hopes that it would properly finish what ever it needs to do and well right back to it again on off on off.

I'm assuming it's rma time on this board since this isn't the bios can't just reflash it I assume.

I've used his ME Firmware on countless boards and done this process countless times with the varying updates as they are released and this is a first time something like this has happened.

Thank god back in on 2201.

Looks like it's still on the 14.1.60.1790 ME FW so maybe the ME FW needs an update to jive with 2301. Guess I'll run 2301 now that the ME is updated and see what happens. YOLO right?

BOOT LOOP.

Bios 2301 DOESN'T PLAY NICE WITH INTEL ME 14.1.60.1790
13 REPLIES 13

Nate152
That's great !

So they are aware of the problem and are working on it, I would expect either a new bios or ME driver soon.

I been using windows 11 Insider on an older Maximus IX Code (z270) with the latest bios but I let windows handle the ME driver.

Is this what you're referring to? The latest driver windows can find is installed.

Click the pic to make it bigger.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi scgt1,
The Intel ME version have been validated would be uploaded to our support site.
Please use the version on our support site.
https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z490-i-gaming-model/helpdesk_bios
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi scgt1,
The Intel ME version have been validated would be uploaded to our support site.
Please use the version on our support site.
https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z490-i-gaming-model/helpdesk_bios
Thank you.

Pretty sure there is no way to roll back the Intel ME F/W version. So downloading an older version on the support site is completely useless.

I've been in contact with Asus for several weeks now going back and forth with information and have filled out my second Motherboard report form. I think this process would go much smoother if their support tickets were assigned to a single rep. Instead each response is from a different agent with basically the same exact copy and paste response with maybe an extra line of information.

I can't tell you how many times I've mentioned either 2301 needs an update to accept up to ME F/W 14.1.60.1790 or a new bios needs to be released that does. Getting close to just buying another board and sending this one back considering 2201 doesn't keep the PTT enabled setting upon save which still negates the ability to upgrade to Win 11. Being that this computer isn't for me and will be for someone whom wishes to purchase it I'm not ok selling it gimped to someone in case they are interested in running Windows 11. Just not the way I roll.

This is probably a coders 5 minute fix why it seems to just be circling around through peoples inbox's at Asus I have no idea.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi scgt1,
If you have contacted local technical support, please wait for the response from technical support.
Thank you so much.