cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VI Extreme performance vs Maximus VI Formula

twllmscttn
Level 7
My Maximus VI Extreme motherboard failed, and I replaced it temporarily with a max VI formula. Here is the thing, my Chris Windows experience index for graphics went from 8.9 to 7.3. I have consulted Asus, and EVGA but no one can explain the drop off. There was a similar drop off on the cinebench for GPU (not ideal for GPU assessment, however this is one that I used). Any Ideas?

System:

Case: NZXT 630
CPU: 4770k
Graphics: 780 Ti Classified
MB: Maximus VI Formula
Cooler: Corsair H 110
PSU: Corsair HX 850
Storage: SSD Samsung 840 Pro x2 Raid 0
Memory: Corsair Pro 2133
1 REPLY 1

jab383
Level 13
Cinebench is a fair assessment of graphic performance in OpenGL and here it confirms the performance drop.

There is little potential performance difference unless more than one graphics card is used. The M6E with its lane switch can support two or more cards at PCIE3 x16 bandwidth. With two cards, the M6F has to split the 16 native lanes of the CPU to x8/x8. With one video card, you should not see any difference,

For your performance drop, I can suggest that you look in BIOS Advanced tab. Several of the areas under there have to do with system agent and PCIE settings. Check that the video card's slot is running at gen 3 speed and x16 lanes. Aggressive power saving should be disabled for max performance. If you're not using it, the CPU integrated graphics and iGPU multimonitor should be disabled.

Similarly, check the power options in Windows Control Panel. You may get better results with a performance setting.

Hope these help

Jeff