Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WARNING BIOS 1302 might give u problems

phatmonkey
Level 9
UPDATE 13/12/2019 New Bios 1401 seems to be stable so far, no BSOD

ORIGINAL POST:
Just a heads up in case someone is in a similar sinking boat lol
BIOS 1302 was causing the odd system restart on my ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO (WI-FI), I have now gone back to 1105 with no problems.
I eliminated all possibilities before posting here which includes, PSU, Wire / connections, memory, re-seating, chkdisc, SFC, DISM, GPU, CPU, TEMPs.
I had the odd system freeze since 1302 then it progressed to restarts few days later, since installing 1105 again there has been no restarts and that includes running multiple tasks to strain the PC into giving me an error or BSOD lol

I hope this saves time an energy for anyone else that might be experiencing a similar problem, also as a side note in 1302 Corssair LINK was giving me some teething problems and funny enough that was the fan control for the PSU unit, could this be part of the problem.... who knows, but 1105 is stable.

PS SPECS: ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO (WI-FI), i9 9900k, corsair LPX 64G DDR4. MSI G X Trio RTX 2080Ti, Corsair AX 1200i PSU, 5 Crucial MX500 2TB SSDs and one WD 4TB drive.
Windows 11 | Rog Maximus Z690 Hero | i9-14900K | Corsair Vengeance DDR5 4800mhz 64GB | MSI 4090 SUPRIM X | Apollo x16 | Quantum 2626 | ASUS ROG Swift OLED PG48UQ | H150i RGB Pro XT | AX1200i | Dark Core Pro SE | K100 RGB

28 REPLIES 28

phatmonkey
Level 9
I counted the critical events (restarts) since the bios update 1302 and it was 17 kernel power events since 29/09/2019 lol..... No critical events since flashing back to 1105.
Windows 11 | Rog Maximus Z690 Hero | i9-14900K | Corsair Vengeance DDR5 4800mhz 64GB | MSI 4090 SUPRIM X | Apollo x16 | Quantum 2626 | ASUS ROG Swift OLED PG48UQ | H150i RGB Pro XT | AX1200i | Dark Core Pro SE | K100 RGB

phatmonkey wrote:
I counted the critical events (restarts) since the bios update 1302 and it was 17 kernel power events since 29/09/2019 lol..... No critical events since flashing back to 1105.

check these if you have notes. But is the indication that A. we need another bios. and there are more. like disk. OR we need a urgent windows update. maybe the next iteration, that as far i can tell is a very mayor one, more than right stuff.

The embedded controller (EC) returned data when none was requested. The BIOS might be trying to access the EC without synchronizing with the operating system. This data will be ignored. No further action is necessary; however, you should check with your computer manufacturer for an upgraded BIOS. (event 15)

and there is no data behind these. I am sure is a windows issue than a bios. BUT we need new drivers chipset drivers OEM. IF these issues are present also with post drivers that way newer with 130x bios and present on the old one then is windows. remember security polices are part of the issue and intel intent to cover the problems. I have to check more but have seeing these more and more.

BTW i am talking ideas to make tracks to make a new door to better us
Learn, Play Enjoy!

Ch3vr0n
Level 11
0 problems here

Ch3vr0n wrote:
0 problems here

Strange eh, but when it comes to computers no 2 are the same, even with the same specs eh 😄

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
I will check a friend with 9700kf heroxi and mine 9900k codexi but so far no freezing on any kind. BUT I was working with a msi z390 and 9700k and did see these 1 time.

I do not think is a bios issue. but i have check.

these kernel critical errors could be a windows issue more than a hardware problem. And am not saying that is a defective board or cpu. On the least 2 cumulative windows updates, MS add some new intelligence security thingy. and also some fixes for security. It will be interesting to cross check these with amd users. since they, even with compatible hardware, have issues their own.

so far i have not have freeze. but i will continue checking all events and report back.
Learn, Play Enjoy!

MrAgapiGC wrote:
I will check a friend with 9700kf heroxi and mine 9900k codexi but so far no freezing on any kind. BUT I was working with a msi z390 and 9700k and did see these 1 time.

I do not think is a bios issue. but i have check.

these kernel critical errors could be a windows issue more than a hardware problem. And am not saying that is a defective board or cpu. On the least 2 cumulative windows updates, MS add some new intelligence security thingy. and also some fixes for security. It will be interesting to cross check these with amd users. since they, even with compatible hardware, have issues their own.

so far i have not have freeze. but i will continue checking all events and report back.

I have been trying to do my best to cause a bsod since I flashbacked to 1105 and I have no problems to report, just the usual DNS warnings in the event viewer. For me personally the problem is fixed and will continue to be fixed as long as I stay away from 1302 lol

edrickjk
Level 7
Extreme user here ,was getting white hair trying to find out the issue,had totaly forgot i updated the bios when it came out. Switched to bios 2 and all my problem went away thanks phatmonkey for the head up.

edrickjk wrote:
Extreme user here ,was getting white hair trying to find out the issue,had totaly forgot i updated the bios when it came out. Switched to bios 2 and all my problem went away thanks phatmonkey for the head up.

Your welcome man, I went through hours of testing until it dawned on me it was the bios lol.... glad I saved you some sanity....

Adrian1976
Level 10
No problem here on my XI Hero with a 9700k @5ghz, been running for a couple of weeks now.

Eguun
Level 9
Hi,

I concur on also experiencing stability issues with this BIOS version.
PUBG crashes.
No issue when rolling back to previous BIOS version (for me 1005 was the last working OK, not 1105)

Thanks