cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG G751-JY BIOS 211 NVMe Upgrade Guide Step by Step

chris_tronic
Level 9
Hello volks,
this guide was developed on the ground based work of Fernando in the WIN Raid Forums.
He developed the NVMe Support and the update procedures. Im very thankful and proud of Fernando's work.
Without it, we would never have NVMe support on our older generations Notebooks..

I recently modded my BIOS and now it supports the NVMe Protokoll.
I want to share some experience I made during modding my BIOS,
so that anyone who owns the G751 with an M.2 slot should get a NVMe drive to work.

I dont take any responsibility if you make modifications and somehow brick your BIOS.
I strongly recomment to decide yourself if you want do the BIOS Mod or not.

Its not quite difficult to mod the ASUS G751-JY BIOS. I will give you an easy Guide you can follow step by step.
My System is a G751-JY with 24GB of RAM Georce GTX 980m 4GB and Windows 7 prof. 64

OK, lets start.

What you need:
- actual BIOS Vers. 211 / if not yet installed, please download the Update from ASUS support and install it yousing Easy-Flash in the BIOS.
- AMI Firmware Updater (afuwin64) from AMI for Aptio 4
- MMTool for Aptio 4
- UEFITOOL_0.2.2.1
- EFI NVMe BIOS Module

You can find the actual downloads on the win-raid forums.
https://www.win-raid.com/t871f50-Guide-How-to-get-full-NVMe-support-for-all-Systems-with-an-AMI-UEFI...
This guide was also done with the ground based work of fernando.
Please ask him for further support

1. First of all, downoad all the needed files into a new Folder and Name it "BiosMod"
2. Now we are going to make a copy of the present BIOS using afuwinx64. Start the AFUWINGUI
3. Hit the save Buttom and store your actual copy of your BIOS in a seperate Folder and name it afuwin.rom
4. Copy the afuwin.rom (your EFI BIOS without Capsule) to the MMTOOLs Folder
5. Start MMTooL and Load the afuwin.rom Image
6. Click "Create Report" and close MMTooL.
7. Now open UEfiTool_0.2.2.1 and load the afuwin.rom image by clicking "File" and "Open Immage file" and select
aufwin.rom
8. Now that you loaded your BIOS in Uefitools hit the "File" Buttom --> "Search" select "Text" and enter DXE in the searchfield
9. Hit "OK" and doubleclick at "interface section at offset Ch"
10 . Scroll down to the LANDriver DXE driver and click the right Mouse buttom and hit "Insert After..."
11. Select the "NvmExpressDxe_3.ffs
12. Now you have insert the DXE NVME driver Module in the free memory space below the LanDriver DXE Module. Now you Click "File" and "Save Image file..."
13. Save the new romfile and name it 211nvme.rom
14. Click "Yes" for Open reconstructed file? and parse again if the NVME Module is correctly installed between the LanDXE_Module and the free Space
15. Copy the new 211nvme.rom file to the MMTools Directory.
16. Start MMTool and load the new 211nvme.rom and click create Report. Close MMTool
17. Now you can open both the old afuwin.rpt Textfile and the new 211nvme.rpt Textfile and compare them.

18. Compare the afuwin.rpt and the 211nvme.rpt and you should get the same Text as I have

19. Now that we have checked everything, we are going to flash the new BIOS
20. Open afuwingui hit "Open" and select the "211nvme.rom file" Carefully look at the Lenght of the File it should have exactly 6.144KB as your afuwin.rom also.
Maybe the length could differ from BIOS to BIOS but i think it should be that value.

21. Now we are ready to Flash the new BIOS. Attach your powersupply and close all unneeded Programs
22. Hit the "Flash" buttom and enjoy your computer gets upgraded with NVMe support.

Now that we programed the new BIOS, you can attach a new NVMe SSD at the M.2 socket.
Notice: there is no Drive Listing in the PCIe SSD field or it even disappeared in the BIOS, but dont be afraid.
If the NVMe SSD is bootable, you should get a BOOT Option like I have: Windows Boot Manager.

Here is an overview of my HWInfo:

I hope you find this Guide useful. IF so, you can leave some comments.
Thanks also to the WinRaid Forum for Supporting me with the DXE Drivers.

If you want, feel free to contact me:
I can create check and send the modified 211nvme.rom Bios File file to you, if you send me your saved Bios with afuwin (valid only for G751having a PCIe x4 M.2) Than you only need to Flash the new Bios with AfuWin64 without to be afraid bricking your G751.
Just send my an E-Mail to: chris-tronic@gmx.de

Regards

Christian Karbe ( Informatic / Computer Enginneer)
[And again, if your unsure if you wanna do the Flash, better do not. I will not be responsible for any damage.

Have Fun

Christian
110 REPLIES 110

chris_tronic
Level 9
ou don't need to be afraid.
I'm running Windows and Linux as dual boot for a long time on different devices. My Windows is on the SAMSUNG EVO 970 M.2 NVMe and my Kubuntu is on the SAMSUNG EVO 850. And I experienced no troubles at all.
You only need to know were to install your GRUB Bootloader and which Boot Option you choose for initial start.
For example: I installed the Windows EFI Bootloader on my M.2 and the GRUB Bootloader on my SATA SSD.
Than I choose the SATA SSD BOOT Option and adjusted Grub for Multiboot.

Greetings

Chris

Gps3dx
Level 12
Can confirm the OP guide is wonderful and working.
I finally was able to get my hand on my first NVME SDD - an HP EX950 2TB.
I modded the UEFI like 2 years ago but could only just today test it.
PROS: now I have extra storage in my G751JT (G-sync) - total of 4 storage devices: 1 Sata 3 HDD in DVD caddy (SATA II speed), 1 Sata 3 HDD regular slot (Sata II speed), 1 Samsung Evo 860 250GB (Sata III speed) + HP EX950 NVME in THE SAME SLOT.

You can see in my pic that I've improvise a caddy/housing for the NVME stick and that I've took the EVO 860 board out of its original housing ( like someone posted in the forum few years ago ).
I didn't see much difference between Samsung's NVME driver compared to windows 10 (2004) built-in driver, but it was still a bit faster.
The only CONS that I noticed after installing the NVME SSD is that when I restart, after all of the windows screens, there is a delay of ~10 sec during which I see a black screen.
Restarting eventually finishes and laptop do reboot itself.

another thing I noted is that no report is seen in the UEFI screens when NVME SSD is connected - not that I expect from a modded UEFI, nor need.

UPDATE 1:
Well I found out that all of my above reported experience with NVME ssd on my G751JT was using UN-MODDED BIOS 213 !!!
I did mod BIOS 211 and installed it, but forgot that I've upgrade to official UN=modded BIOS 213 since than.
Bios 213 DO NOT have "NVME" module ( at least not by that name when searching in MMTOOL) - but NVME drives WORKS !
Nontheless, I've modded BIOS 213 and injected 'NvmExpressDxe_4' module to the bios, than flashed it.
Results are, well... controversial:
BIOS 213 UN-MODDED ( w/ samsung controller driver )

BIOS 213 MODDED w/ 'NvmExpressDxe_4' module ( w/ samsung controller driver )
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

Nayem33397
Level 7
THanks mate

CrystalIIzation
Level 7
Hi all,

I am currently utilizing a 128 GB SSD which has been filled to the brim with windows updates thereby preventing me from upgrading to windows 10.
Consequently, I made the decision to buy a 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, unaware that it was incompatible with the ASUS ROG G751JY.

I therefore stumbled upon this thread and therefore believed I found my saving grace.
I'd cloned my prior SSD with the windows 8.1OS and files over to the new SSD, alas I am currently still facing difficulties booting from the new SSD despite following the provided steps to MOD the BIOS in accepting NVMe SSDs.

The error which appears would be that windows would continuously attempt to diagnose the computer at boot up and end up being unable to find a solution before restarting in a continuous loop.

I was wondering if there were any BIOS settings which i should be particularly mindful of during the OS boot up?
Either that or would it be the case that I am to conduct a fresh windows installation on a empty drive? (I had attempted this with a windows 8.1 thumb drive but the installer states that the hardware is incompatible...)
Or would this be the case that windows 8.1 is entirely incompatible with this mod as well?

This is the first time that I am attempting to clone a OS drive and as such would like to seek any possible assistance in this matter.

Note: Utilized BIOS Ver 213 alongside the NvmExpressDxe_4 module in my installation of the mod.

Hello. I have a laptop ASUS G751JT equipped with a M.2 PCIe port and Windows 10 last version.
I followed your method. My computer restarts well as long as I don't install the NVMe SSD.
When I connect my SSD PNY CS3030 1To NVMe PCIe Gen 3 x 4, my computer gets stuck on an empty screen I rule CSM Launch on Disable. My computer stays stuck on the ASUS logo if I rule CSM launch on enable. The F2 button is inactive. I can't get into the BIOS. In order for it to restart normally, I have to remove the NVMe SSD to hand over the SATA SSD.
So I started the NVMe SSD using an external USB-C case. I cloned W10 on it. It doesn't change anything as soon as I place the NVMe SSD on port M.2.
As soon as I connect the NVMe SSD to the M.2 port, the computer does not boot. Please, do you have a solution?
I'm sorry if I'm not very clear. I don't speak very good English and I use the translation module to communicate with you.
Thank you so much for your help !

Machin-Truc wrote:
Hello. I have a laptop ASUS G751JT equipped with a M.2 PCIe port and Windows 10 last version.
I followed your method. My computer restarts well as long as I don't install the NVMe SSD.
When I connect my SSD PNY CS3030 1To NVMe PCIe Gen 3 x 4, my computer gets stuck on an empty screen I rule CSM Launch on Disable. My computer stays stuck on the ASUS logo if I rule CSM launch on enable. The F2 button is inactive. I can't get into the BIOS. In order for it to restart normally, I have to remove the NVMe SSD to hand over the SATA SSD.
So I started the NVMe SSD using an external USB-C case. I cloned W10 on it. It doesn't change anything as soon as I place the NVMe SSD on port M.2.
As soon as I connect the NVMe SSD to the M.2 port, the computer does not boot. Please, do you have a solution?
I'm sorry if I'm not very clear. I don't speak very good English and I use the translation module to communicate with you.
Thank you so much for your help !

Hello Machin-Truc,

Did you modded your BIOS to include the NvmExpressDxe_4 module as described on the first post in the thread?
You must be sure that the inclusion of the module into the BIOS was successful (step 18).
The module position is very important. Must be the last one just after the LANDriver.

Also it is recommended to make the changes into the latest BIOS (version 213).
You must first update to BIOS 213 than extract it from your machine to make the modifications (this way you will not lose your Ethernet Adapter's MAC address).

Kinomoto wrote:

Did you modded your BIOS to include the NvmExpressDxe_4 module as described on the first post in the thread?
You must be sure that the inclusion of the module into the BIOS was successful (step 18).
The module position is very important. Must be the last one just after the LANDriver.

Hi Kinomoto. I followed every step well and I checked everything from version 213. Everything is good except when I plug in the NVMe SSD. I wonder if I don't have a PCIe problem because I have WIFI disconnections with complete disappearance of connection points. The DVD burner is not detected all the time. I have to say I've had a lot of problems with my G751 since I bought it. Maybe there is a pcIe malfunction but I don't know how to test that. There had been a lot of crashes during the standby outings until I removed the HS battery. I wonder if an MOFFSET would not have burned and caused all my worries. I even had to replace the BIOS with a new one that I welded in place of the old one that was HS. The LAN network card is no longer recognized either. I'd like to order a new motherboard from Aliexpress but I don't know if the hardware will be reliable. Anyway thank you for your answer if you know how I can test the ICHE. Have a nice day.

Hello.I finally managed to make my NVMe work. I changed my motherboard which was defective. Now everything is working well but I can't get the same performance as you. Can you help me make the adjustments?

Machin-Truc wrote:
Hello.I finally managed to make my NVMe work. I changed my motherboard which was defective. Now everything is working well but I can't get the same performance as you. Can you help me make the adjustments?

Hello Machin-Truc, since the advertised performance of your drive is 3.500MB/s for reading and 3.000MB/s for writing those results are really strange.

Are you using Windows 10 default NVMe Drivers ("Standard NVM Express Controller")?

Please download Crystal Disk Mark from the official website: https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskmark/

Run the 64bit version of the software and select "NVMe SSD" in the "Settings" menu.
Set the test file size to 1GiB.

Make sure TRIM is enabled for your NVMe drive: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-ensure-trim-enabled-windows-10-speed-ssd-performance

Make sure that all partitions in your NVMe drive are aligned: https://www.howtogeek.com/270358/how-to-speed-up-your-solid-state-drive-by-re-aligning-its-partition...

Maybe someone needs it.
Checked for SSD Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB MZ-V7S1T0BW
https://drive.google.com/file/d/14Q61DV2nXdjwH4p6_4Y0uXI-7jHFmFcY/view?usp=sharing