cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Load Line Calibration

BenTed
Level 7
Hi,

I have some questions if anyone can help with regard to LLC.

Q1: I'm trying to get my 2600k stable at 1.38v on my Maximus IV Extreme...
I seem to be able to get better stability with vCore LLC set at 75% than at the recommended 50% for a 4.6Mhz OC.

Q2: Does it matter if I'm needing to use a higher LLC for stability?

Q3: Can using a higher LLC help lower vCore in general?

thanks
9 REPLIES 9

xeromist
I'm not sure who recommended 50% but I believe that people getting the highest clocks are pretty much all using 75%. It will put more of a strain on the board but I don't think it will be appreciably so. You would likely upgrade the board before LLC would cause problems.

Oh, and Q3: Yes. When the voltage is stable you can use a lower voltage because it won't droop so much.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Actually is LLC more of just forcing the board to deliver pure solid voltage?

I would recommend disabling the LLC, instead upping vCore for stability, but only to (1.4 - peak positive overshoot)V, which is the absolute maximum. But the worst are the voltage transients, caused by the cpu suddenly requiring less current. According to intel they can become dangerous, and the vDroop helps keeps them under this maximum.
Enabling LLC reduces/prevents VDroop, and the voltage transients alone can, and probably will, cause damage and instability.

BenTed
Level 7
Hi,

thanks for your reply

It shows on the BIOS itself what each % is suppose to be good for.
50% suppose to do up to 4.8Mhz and 75% is 4.8Mhz and up 🙂

xeromist
Voltages will always fluctuate as that is just how the physics work. If the voltage droops too far it will cause your computer to crash. LLC is the way of minimizing that droop and the percentage determines how aggressive that process will be.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

BenTed
Level 7
ahhhhh lol.... so many different opinions but I guess this is always going to be the case (I've also been asking this on another forum to try and get matching information)

OK, my next question would have been this...

To reach 4.8Mhz on a lower vCore than 1.45v (which is what I need to hit 4.8Mhz with 75% LLC) I'd decided that I did not want to run my processor at this voltage as I've heard about degradation etc.
After finding that I can hit a lower vCore at 75% LLC than I can with the recommended 50%. I though I was onto something here.

So I was here to ask... to re-try my 4.8Mhz would it be wise to hit it with 100% LLC and lower try a lower vCore than 1.45v?

But I guess not?

xeromist
Nah, the way LLC works people have actually had less stability with 100%. I believe it's for the reasons that iBeta mentioned above. I can tell you that Intel will always spec on the safe side and enthusiasts will always find the practical limits. The practical limit is 75% and there's plenty of people using it 24/7 without catastrophic failure.

BenTed
Level 7
Thanks for your advice x 2. much appreciated 🙂

Retired
Not applicable
You will get Vdroop with LCC disabled. which means if you set your voltage at 1.4, when actually under load the voltage can droop down to 1.38 or 1.35 or something along those lines. Load line calibration helps to keep the voltage consistent at what you have configured it at. is your system not stable running 50% or 75%? our guide is for the broad spectrum of cpus out there. some will be able to OC better than others.