cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manually setting timings in the bios (very, very long post)

syldon
Level 9
EDIT I should point out first I wrote this to try to help people have some information and a method to work from. Sources for info are very convoluted and are diluted with a lot of misinformation. Hopefully this will give people a head start on getting a good set up. One that will pass a memory test. I am confident I did ok with my set up after many, many hours of trying stuff. It is a long post but I tried to get as much info in there as I could.

This is not for the feint hearted. So unless you have a day (or two) to spare then use an automated option. There are the DOCP settings in the extreme settings tab under AI overclock tuner. These are very basic settings which only work for a few people, so chill when they don't. There is a guy called The Stilt who does some amazing stuff with CPUs and Dram. He has made some profiles for single sided B die memory using two sticks. They are under extreme tweaker, Dram timing control and then memory profiles ( I think - it is 2 second option from top). If these work for you then these are the best option to take.

For those that cant get any of the preset profiles to work, then read on.

I don't profess to be any sort of expert. So anything written in this is wide open for scrutiny. I won't come back and edit this post. This is a one time effort to try to help people out. Having spend two full days working on this has left me a bit burned with it. But actually getting a result is a fantastic feeling, and a learning curve that has its steepest climb at the start.

Without a ton of experience you wont just be able to dive in making your own settings. I found the easiest way to get near was to let the system put settings in auto, then change them bit by bit. Some timings are linked, and you can use the auto function to give an indicator of what the other timings should be. But before you start get a grip on what sort of things you will be looking at. Gupsterg has a nice collection off information here. This also has an invaluable guide on memory acronyms.

It is also a good idea to look at some of the set ups other have done. Set ups that have passed memtest86 or another equivalent are the only ones I would look at. I know I am guilty of posting some stupid settings previously. This is a very confusing issue to take on board, which has also led to a lot of bad information. I hope this is not more of it.

You will need some programmes to help you through. Aida64, HWinfo, Ryzen timing checker and memtest86.

Aida64 is a good latency testing tool. It will also give up feedback on the timings of the memory. As well as much more if you want to delve into it ( I haven't).

HWinfo will give you some of the basic minimum timings that the manufacturer has tested with. These are stored in a data file with in the IC on the chip.

Ryzen timngs checker will give you and out put of your current settings. It will not give any advice on anything - it is only a screenshot tool.

Memtest86 is considered one of the most thorough testing programmes. It runs on its own OS and you will need a USB stick to install and boot from.

Ok first I grabbed some basic settings from HWinfo. On the main window of HWinfo select memory drop down list and then a memory module. Within here is some basic minimum timings that the chip will accept. This is just to get you off the mark. Some people will achieve full MHz just using these setting, some will not. It is highly unlikely this will give you your best settings straight off the bat.

Retrieve the timings for :
Cas# lantency
Ras# to Cas# read delay
Ras# to Cas# write delay
Ras# pre time
Ras# act time
Trc_SM:
TrrdS_SM:
TrrdL_SM:
Tfaw_ SM:
Trfc_SM:
Trfc2_SM:
Trfc4_SM:

For setting up the memory start on a non stressed system. CPU on auto, Bclk on 100, and use those timings. Reboot. Your system may still not post at rated speed.

In dram timings at the bottom. Look for ProcODT. This is trail and error. Try one and then reboot till you find one that works. If you have multiple choices, then you can use the Aida 64 tool to check to which is best. Basically I checked for latency output.

You may also get better stability with what I use now

RTT NOM disable
RTT WR ODT off
RTT PARK AUTO

There is a post stating this may help.

RttNom: RZQ/3
RttWr: RZQ/3
RttPark: RZQ/1

ClkDrvbStren: 40.0 Ohm
AddrCmdDrvStren: 20.0 Ohm
CsOdtDrvStren: 40.0 Ohm
CkeDrvStren: 40.0 Ohm

​This never worked for me though.

This is a very basic setup and most will be happy with this.

But if you want to tighten things up read on and I will explain how I got a decent setup (IMHO).

This is a list of all the timings from the Dram timings section

Primary timings
CAS LATENCY
RAS TO CAS READ DELAY
RAS TO CAS WRITE DELAY
RAS PRE TIME (RPT)
RAS ACT TIME (RAT)

(= to RPT + RAT) TRC
activate delay TRRDS
activate delay TRRDL
(X4 or X8 trrds) TFAW
(rd to WR delay) TWTRS
(rd to WR delay) TWTRL
(wr recovery) TWR

TRCPAGE
(rd to rd latency) TRDRDS CL
(wr to wr latency) TWRWRS CL

TRFC (total refesh cycle)
TRFC2
TRFC4

(= to ro -1 CL) TCWL
(rd to precharge) TRTP
(rd to wr latency) TRDWR
(wr to RD latency) TWRRD
(wr to wr latency) TWRWR SC
(wr to wr latency) TWRWR SD
(wr to wr latency) TWRWR DD
(rd to RD latency) TRDRD SC
(rd to RD latency) TRDRD SD
(rd to RD latency) TRTDRD DD
TCKE

ProcODT
CMD2T

GEAR DOWN
POWER DOWN

RTT NOM
RTT WR
RTT PARK

ADDR CMD SETUP
CS ODT SET UP
CKE SETUP

BUS CLK DRV STREN
BUS ADDR CMD DRV STREN
CS ODT DRV STREN
BUS CKE DRV STREN

I wrote in some reminders of what does what. A full description is here as I linked earlier. I had this printed out with a spread sheet to help me record what I have done.

When I first started I was all over trying different stuff. But common sense applies to some stuff because they are linked.

TRC is equal to or higher than RAS PRE TIME (RPT) + RAS ACT TIME (RAT). So what ever you decide on your main timing block then this one should be adjusted to suite. If you set it higher than RPT + RAT then you are just creating redundant cycles. Try to keep it equal to rather than above. The stilt had one set up where it was way above. I have no idea how he worked out a different timing, but it came back as very low latency when I tried it. Shame it was not stable for me.

TFAW is either TRRDS X 4 or X 8. X4 is a much better option than X 8. It is kind of a delay function to allows four banks of data through. Obviously at X8 you are doubling that delay.

TRFC is the time of writing data back and forth in one bank. TRFC2 and TRFC4 are linked to it.
TRFC2 is TRFC divided by 1.34
TRFC4 is TRFC2 divided by 1.625

TWR is a free ride function. It will create a wait state just for stability. The higher you set it the higher latency you gain. The stilt has some set to 10, I got mine to 14 on this chip. It was defaulting to 26 on mine. I would leave it at 26 till you find some better settings. It could just be because this is set high that you are booting with settings from HWINFO.

OK after this it is just down to playing with timings. I dare say once you have done a few different chips, then you will have a better idea of what to trim. If there is a better way to do this, then please, please, please send a guide. Looking at other people settings will help lots here.

Using the timings already in from HWinfo I found TRRDS and TRRDL to be linked. Both are for exactly the same thing, but one is for long data, and the other for short. So adjusting one, and leaving the other on auto, then rebooting the system. If the system posts, then you know the new setting you put in is near good. The other linked setting should also adjust to compensate for the new value.

As an example, I set TRRDL from 5 to 4, TRRDS to auto. ( remembering TFAW is linked to these I set that to auto also. Straight off it booted and left TRRDS and TFAW the same. I now know that TRRDS 4 and TRRDL 4 worked. It would also work on 5/5 but that was slowing the system down so I stuck with 4/4.

I did the same again with TWTRS and TWTRL. I ended up with 3/8. When I got the end of my set up I had to change 8 to 9. It literally boiled down to sucking and see which was causing issues. This is basically the method I used for all the values of the same sort.

Moving on from top to the bottom

TRCpage stayed at 0 always for me.

TRDRDS and TRDRDL forums said set to 1 and 2. I could only get away with 2 and 2. This is good for increasing latency. Mine was default to 3/3 so this one was an easy plus.

TCWL is stated as being set equal to or one less than CAS latency. When I looked at a few set ups, they had it set to 3 less than CL. I have no idea why its different, but I had to set mine to -3 also to get this to work. It always defaulted to -3.

TRTP I left till one of my last settings then guessed around the auto figure.

TRDWR and TWRRD looked kind of linked so I used the auto method to get somewhere near.

TWRWR SC
TWRWR SD
TWRWR DD
TRDRD SC
TRDRD SD
TRTDRD DD
TCKE

Came as a set. On all the settings I found I only ever saw them set to

TWRWR SC 1
TWRWR SD 7
TWRWR DD 7
TRDRD SC 1
TRDRD SD 5
TRTDRD DD 5
TCKE 6

This seemed to be the norm for all. But I got better results from where it fell on auto at

TWRWR SC 1
TWRWR SD 6
TWRWR DD 6
TRDRD SC 1
TRDRD SD 4
TRTDRD DD 4
TCKE 5
This was the default for me, which is where I got the settings from.

Once I test each setting I check with memtest86. Once it loads up it gives a latency report. If your latency report goes up then you are not adding to a better set up. There are some settings that will reduce latency, but will stop stability. I checked these once I was confident a set up was good with memtest on test 6.

The first 5 tests on memtest86 never failed on me so long as the system booted. I never got any errors till test 6. So for a quick stability test > press T > then enter to deselect the first 5 tests > S will set the test away. Once test 6 completed without errors, I took it as a possible setting then moved onto the next. Most settings just errors early on.

I spent an age on this. This is my two days off used up. I hope this takes some of the frustration away for some people.

As a side note there is a downside the CH6. It is very good at booting even on bad settings. So just because it boots doesn't mean it is good. Something to consider while playing.

Good luck
0 REPLIES 0