cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Be Warned, Z170 Deluxe in dual SLI and M.2 Socket 3 NOT compatible

spanishflyer
Level 7
i have ordered a second GTX 980Ti for an SLI configuration, so while it arrives I placed my actual Graphics card lower on the MoBo.

I had already placed the M.2 socket 3 and was about to place an order for a 512GB Samsung SM951-NVMe M.2, or an
Intel SSD 750 400GB - hard drive (400 GB), PCI Express 3.0, 2200 MB/s, 6,35 cm (2.5"), Silver, UL, CE, C-Tick, BSMI, KCC, (similar to the SATA SSD's in shape & size, but with some cooling fins); this one comes with a cable that splits in two, one connecting to the M.2 socket and the other to power it. The whole idea being to install the OS (Windows 7) and have a rig difficult to catch due to M.2 carzy speeds.

But what do you know, when trying to insert the GTX in the lower PCI socket, it just wouldn't go in.... Eventually I realized that the M.2 socket was not allowing the card to sit in properly; din't think it twice and removed the socket :mad:

Now I only (and not sure about it), I might be able to use the PCI M.2 support that comes with the MoBo and go for the Samsung or similar option.

I just can't understand why ASUS placed that M.2 socket where it goes, because SLI and high performance M.2 drives are the most obvious choice for high end computing...

Anyway, just wanted to warn those who had the same idea I did; this afternoon, browsing through the web I found a page where ASUS does admit to this problem, and includes photos and comments; it also seems the Z170 Dlx is not the only one with this problem:

http://pcdiy.asus.com/2015/04/asus-z97-x99-motherboards-intel-750-series-nvme-ssds-all-you-need-to-k...

Best regards,

Spanish Flyer
0 REPLIES 0