cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CROSSHAIR VII EXTREME keeps shutting down while in BIOS

boscacci
Level 8
Hi there!

It's about 10 days that I'm trying to build my new rig with the Ryzen 5950x and the brand new Crosshair VIII Extreme: I come from an Intel 7980XE and I build PCs myself since 1995...

This is my most problematic build ever!

In brief: the new pc keeps shutting down after few minutes, randomly, even in BIOS (actually, the very first time it happened while I was configuring the Bios...)

This should exclude any Windows related problem.

I use an AIO Liquid Cooler by NZXT (Kraken Z63).

I tried,in order:

a. to change the CPU (2 different samples of 5950x)
b. to change the PSU (from an "old" Enermax Platimax 1700W to a brand new Corsair AX1600i)
c. to reseat the cpu and the thermal paste

The only things that, at the moment, remain constant are

The MOBO (a new sample is arriving today)
The RAM (a DDR4 3200 Corsair Dominator supposedly compatible with X570 but not listed on the ASUS Mobo QVL)
The VGA (a quite new ROG STRIX 3080 Ti)

What I noticed is:

a. The Ram voltage in bios is always under the specified value, ie if manually set to 1.35 (as per XMP profile) it's actually at 1.32; if manually set to 1.37, it stays at 1.35
b. The CPU temperatures: under load the CPU is extremely well controlled, 65°C while in AIDA64 Stress Test or Cinebench or Prime95;
c. The X570 temperature: I noticed, starting the pc from a cold boot and going into the bios, that the chipset X570 temp raises slowly to over 60°C, after that the pc shuts down, and keeps shutting down until I unplug the power cord or I let the pc cool down

What could possibily be the problem ?

If the new MOBO sample will present the same behaviour, should I blame the RAM or the VGA (both were perfectly working with my previous Intel rig ) ?

Why the strange behaviour of the RAM voltage ?

Suggestions ?

Thank you very much
Regards
Alessandro
9 REPLIES 9

RedSector73
Level 12
From the CPU, is the RAM in slots 2 &4 (A2 B2) ?
Top left of the motherboard, did you hooked up both E-ATX ?

The RAM from Intel without proof that works on AMD maybe source issue.

RedSector73 wrote:
From the CPU, is the RAM in slots 2 &4 (A2 B2) ?
Top left of the motherboard, did you hooked up both E-ATX ?

The RAM from Intel without proof that works on AMD maybe source issue.

I always use both the two E-ATX 8 pin connectors in the top left + (just to try once) the additional connector on the right side of the board, specific for the pci-e slots.

Yes, I put the ram sticks in the right slots.

RedSector73
Level 12
OK.
AIO back off the screws 1/4 turn and see if this helps.

Rather than me looking it up, does it have its own backing plate or does it use the existing backing plate ?

They help VRM's as well, thats why hook both. Seen anecdotal evidence of fixing issues with RAM/CPU.
Are you running DOCP (xmp) 3200 ?

One issue sometimes find with corsair ram is that might be x570 with todays version number (sticker on the ram) but one version ago was only Intel. They have improved in but specification alone isnt fool proof. I dislike the version numbers as not given or even recorded for the approved specification.

RedSector73 wrote:
OK.
AIO back off the screws 1/4 turn and see if this helps.

Thank you, I will try: may I ask why to try this ? Something wrong with excessive pressure on the CPU socket ?

PS: I'm using the original Mobo backplate

PPS: yes I'm using DOCP 3200, but I reverted back to 2133 default ram settings, with no luck, the mobo keeps shutting down

It comes to my mind that I should try everything outside the case, in order to see if there is any kind of shortcircuit ......

In any case, today it will arrive the new mobo sample and I ordered a G-Skill set officially listed on the QVL

boscacci wrote:
Thank you, I will try: may I ask why to try this ? Something wrong with excessive pressure on the CPU socket ?

PS: I'm using the original Mobo backplate

PPS: yes I'm using DOCP 3200, but I reverted back to 2133 default ram settings, with no luck, the mobo keeps shutting down

It comes to my mind that I should try everything outside the case, in order to see if there is any kind of shortcircuit ......

In any case, today it will arrive the new mobo sample and I ordered a G-Skill set officially listed on the QVL

Excessive pressure can cause issue (not 100% sure suspect board flex upsets the tracks), I've done that myself and get funny things happening or boot error codes.
G.skill are my go to since moving to AMD. So good.
could also try DOCP@3200 and set manual up to 1.1v SOC voltage, try 1.0, 1.05 first

If taking everything out again. dont go overboard on motherboard stand off screws either, just handtight +1/4 turn is good enough.

RedSector73 wrote:
Excessive pressure can cause issue (not 100% sure suspect board flex upsets the tracks), I've done that myself and get funny things happening or boot error codes.
G.skill are my go to since moving to AMD. So good.
could also try DOCP@3200 and set manual up to 1.1v SOC voltage, try 1.0, 1.05 first

If taking everything out again. dont go overboard on motherboard stand off screws either, just handtight +1/4 turn is good enough.

Thanks for all your suggestions: new mobo sample just arrived, I will keep you updated 🙂

boscacci wrote:
Thanks for all your suggestions: new mobo sample just arrived, I will keep you updated 🙂

So, the new sample seems to behave better: so far, no shuts down and even the chipset temperature seems to be quite lower.

I followed the suggestions to not overtight the AIO screws.

Finger crossed.

After 6 days of flawless working, today the (third sample) mobo decided to stop working: error code 94 (vga bios failure). I spent 3 hours to reseat everything, swapped with another gpu, ram, cables, bios, reflashin bios,....nothing changed.

Mobo, ram and processor are finally going back to Amazon.

The end.

Something is wrong with my Dimm.2 device.
I had installed one Nvme 1TB in dimm.2 slots as I didn't wanted to share GPU speed with m.2.
So using Dimm.2
Okay issue is system is Crashing randomly, blue screen, screen freeze and all this happens because of this Dimm.2.
One strange I noticed is there is no issue when I don't install heat sinks.

@Asus please reduce the thermal pads thickness they are too thick.