cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V gene Z77 hang on ROG Screen

Raptor
Level 7
Hi All,
Just build a new PC and everything went well. Powered up for the first time and took a bit of time to get past the ROG logo screen (The past where you can press delete for BIOS). It hangs for about 15 - 20 seconds before starting windows. Has anyone seen this issue before and maybe know away of fixing this issue? I've seen some similar problems on here however not exactly the same. Any help would be great. Please see below for full spec.

Asus Maximus V Gene Z77 motherboard
2500k 3.3Ghz quad core i5 Sandybridge
16 Gb vengeance corsair DDR3
Sapphire 7950 vapour-x 3GB 950 MHz
OCZ 250Gb Agility 3 SSD
WD Black 1TB SATA III 64Mb cache
Samsung 160Gb (temp was a from my old PC)
Generic DVD RW drive
650W corsair power supply

Thanks everyone

Ian
9 REPLIES 9

HiVizMan
Level 40
If you look on your motherboard, there is a LED two digit poster. What are the codes that are present during that long period of waiting. It could just be that the non-intel SATA ports are looking for devices.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
If you look on your motherboard, there is a LED two digit poster. What are the codes that are present during that long period of waiting. It could just be that the non-intel SATA ports are looking for devices.

When you say codes. Do you mean on the screen or am I looking for a flash code from the LED?

Thanks for the reply.

Ian

HiVizMan
Level 40
I mean the 'flash' codes from the two LED posters on the motherboard.

They are Q-codes and assist in the bios debugging and fault finding. Basically what they do is show where the POST process is.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
I mean the 'flash' codes from the two LED posters on the motherboard.

They are Q-codes and assist in the bios debugging and fault finding. Basically what they do is show where the POST process is.

Found it. It says A2 when it hangs.

Thanks

Ian

HiVizMan
Level 40
A2 - IDE Detect

The POST process is looking for and trying to initialise a storage device.

Please check where you have connected your hard drives. If this is a first time OS install, I strongly suggest only the OS drive in the Intel 6G port.

Check your hard drives and see which one, or which USB device that you might have connected like a flash drive is causing the problem.

Thank you very much I'll have ago at that tomorrow.

Thanks

Ian

Hi again, removed everything (USB devices, all the SATA devices apart from the DVD RW and the OS drive) still booted slow. Thought it might have been the old hard drive but still seems to hang when booting. I turned off the SATA controller and it was a lot faster however only detected my SATA 3 drives not my DVD RW or the old hard drive. (when I say old I mean from my last PC).

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi
It's the DVD RW that's that problem removed it from the boot list and was abit faster then removed to SATA cable for it and it was really quick.

Thanks for all your help.

Ian

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yes the non Intel SATA controller will take heaps of time to find the hardware. If you do not need that controller and there are sufficient empty Intel SATA ports I would use those.

How long did it now take to boot? That is from power up to the moment the A0 two digit code comes up on the LED poster?