cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[SOLVED] 9590 & CHV-F-Z random reboots

ohms139
Level 7
I just finishing upgrading my PC last night and re-installing Windows. I noticed while I was using the PC installing drivers and such that the system would randomly hang and the screen would go dead.

My system is not currently overclocked and all bios settings are at factory minus the LAN and Onboard Sound being disabled.

I have the 8-Pin CPU power cable and 4-Pin molex connected. I see there is an additional 4-Pin CPU power connector, but is this required? Could that be the the source of issues?

My Hardware consists of:

FX-9590
Crosshair V Formula-Z
16GB AMD Radeon DDR3-2133 Memory
(2) MSI R7970 Lightning
Sound Blaster Recon3D

Corsair AX1200 Power Supply
CaseLabs M8 w/ extended top

128GB Samsung 840 SSD
(2) 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM HDD
4TB HGST Desktar 7200 RPM HDD
LG Blu-Ray DVD-RW

Custom Water Cooling - Dual Loops - Dedicated CPU and GPU loops
Laing DDC 3.25 12V pumps with Koolance Heatsink Kit for each loop.
All Radiators fitted with Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1450 RPM Fans
CPU Loop - EK Coolstream RAD XT 360 / EK Supremacy water block / EK CH-V-F-Z Motherboard block / EK 150 Reservoir
GPU Loop - (2) EK Coolstream RAD XT 360 / Heatkiller 79XX waterblocks / EK 150 Reservoir
15 REPLIES 15

TheNerdBench
Level 10
I have the 8-Pin CPU power cable and 4-Pin molex connected. I see there is an additional 4-Pin CPU power connector, but is this required? Could that be the the source of issues?

Thanks for posting the specs of your system and yes because you are running two GPUs then yes you will need to populate the EZPLUG.

Populate that connector and post back if you are still encountering random freezes.

[/HR]
For trouble-shooting tips see my blog at:

[/HR]
http://thenerdbench.blogspot.com/p/bench-testing.html

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]

TheNerdBench wrote:

Thanks for posting the specs of your system and yes because you are running two GPUs then yes you will need to populate the EZPLUG.

Populate that connector and post back if you are still encountering random freezes.

My EZPLUG was in. What I did not have plugged in was the EATX12_2 4-Pin, but plugging that in did stop the random reboots and hangs.

Interestingly enough, after I got that sorted out another mysterious problem surfaced that whenever I accidently hit my case the computer would freeze and the screen would go blank and I'd get an FF POST error.

Turns out that my CPU wasn't happy with the way it was seated, so that was fun tearing apart and draining my loop so I could re-seat the processor.

All is good... Now I just have to stabilize my OC at 5 GHz.

Sorry; I just saw 4-Pin plug and assumed you were referring to the 4-Pin AUX CPU Power connector; glad that you caught that 🙂

Thanks for letting us know what was causing the newly discovered FF error; I wish more people would let us know what the actual problem was.

Glad the system is up and going. I don't do any OCing but there is a guide as well as a number of posts in the forum on this subject.

[/HR]

[/HR]

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]

ohms139
Level 7
Here's my rig put back together.

ohms139 wrote:
Here's my rig put back together.

WOW! THAT is a really SEXY clean system! ::thumbsup::
-hax0rmort

MOBO - ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula-Z
CPU - AMD FX-9370
RAM - AMD Radeon R9 Gamer Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 2400 MHz
SSD1 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB // Boot
SSD2 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB // Game
GPU1 - ASUS Radeon R9 290X
GPU2 - ASUS Radeon R9 290X
COOLER - Corsair H100i AIO Liquid Cooler
PSU - Corsair RM Series 1000W Gold PSU
AUDIO - Creative Sound Blaster Z
CASE - NZXT H440 Red/Black
KEYBOARD - Corsair K95 RGB
MOUSE - SteelSeries Sensei
HEADSET - Logitech G430

TheNerdBench
Level 10
Nice; very clean system!

So are the radiator fans blowing hot air into your case? May want to check this so you don't overheat the VRMs.

Also what is your CPU temp running water-cooling?

PS: Being an old electronics guy I appericate your name of "ohms" 🙂

[/HR]

[/HR]

[/HR]

[/HR]

TheNerdBench wrote:
Nice; very clean system!

So are the radiator fans blowing hot air into your case? May want to check this so you don't overheat the VRMs.

Also what is your CPU temp running water-cooling?

PS: Being an old electronics guy I appericate your name of "ohms" 🙂

Thanks!

As for the radiator, it is blowing hot are into the case but my two bottom case fans and one front case fan in the motherboard compartment gives good positive pressure flow of cool air from the outside. As a result it is very cool inside of the motherboard compartment. There is only one 360mm radiator in the compartment. The other two radiators for the video cards are in the other compartment.

My CPU temperature at 1.535V / 200 FSB / 25 Ratio was 30.9 celcius (this was not idle but it wasn't on full load).

Haha, you are one of the few to understand my name.

ohms139
Level 7
Well... so much for my issue(s) being resolved.

It seems like I fix one problem and another crops up.

I am back down to running at 4.7 GHz at default voltage to see if I can resolve the random FF error. I will be playing a game and then I get a black screen and nothing responds. I look at the motherboard POST code and it shows FF.

I'm running BIOS 2002.