cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VI Formula Discussion Thread

Raja
Level 13
Maximus VI Formula Overview and Discussion Thread

The Maximus VI Formula should be available to purchase in a few weeks. A motherboard many have been waiting for, and for good reason. Plenty of cool features on offer, we won't go into them all, but have picked out some of the salient ones for you to check out below:

Board layout and features at a glance:

Gaming Features

SupremeFX

The Maximus VI Formula sports a specialized audio solution called SupremeFX. Based on Realtek’s latest ALC1150 chipset, the Cirrus Logic DAC and the TPA6120 headphone amplifier and an optimized PCB layout - isolating PCB layers and spacing sensitive traces away from other areas of the motherboard. Shielding is also utilized to minimize spurious noise from entering signal lines. High quality capacitors are used for power supply decoupling to minimize ripple and provide a low impedance at audio critical frequencies. The end result is a 120dB SNR, placing the Maximus VI Formula's onboard audio solution on par with the best discrete soundcards available.

On the software side, the latest addition to the package is Sonic Radar:

The Sonic Radar GUI

Sonic Radar is a HUD that is useful in FPS games. It shows a visual representation of where sounds are coming from. The location of footsteps, gunshots, explosions and anything else is shown in the 360 degree HUD while gaming:

BF3 – Sonic Radar showing direction of audio effects

The HUD can be made more transparent and its location on the screen changed. Sonic Radar very useful feature when gaming with stereo headsets, where surround effects are simulated and may not be easy to pinpoint.

On the subject of headsets, Perfect Voice has been added to improve the clarity of VOIP calls. It’s a software based filter that uses digital signal processing to remove noise pickup from your mic while making a call:

DSP helps reduce ambient noise for clearer comms

Perfect Voice works with any plug in microphone/headset to clean up voice transmission during calls.

ROG RAMDISK

With high density memory modules and kits becoming the norm, many of us have an abundance of free memory on our systems that never gets utilized. ROG RAM Disk has been coded to take advantage of that free space to help speed up the system.

ROG RAM Disk GUI

Unlike many free RAM drive tools, ROG RAM DISK has no size limitations – up to 80% of the free memory (not used by the OS) can be configured as a RAM drive.

To get you an idea of how fast a RAM drive is, check the screenshot below:

10000 MB/s sequential write speeds

Applications stored on ROG RAM DISK are written to hard storage (HHD/SSD) when the system is prompted for shutdown.

Of course, re-installing games to the RAM DISK would be a painful experience. That's why ROG RAM DISK has a feature know as Junction Mode.

Setting a junction point to a game folder allows critical game files to be transferred to the RAM DISK without interfering with the original installation. Just point the software at the game folder and it will take care of the rest. This way, critical files such as maps can be accessed directly from the RAM DISK, speeding up load times.

Discussing features is fine, but what really matters for many users in knowing a board can overclock and run stable. How about 24 hour stability testing? Here's a few screenies from JJ, showing the Maximus VI Formula running different memory configs and CPU overclocks:

Over 24 hours AIDA64 passed at 4.7GHz DDR3-2800 16GB 4x4

Over 24 hours AIDA64 passed at 4.6GHz DDR3-2133 32GB 8X4

4.8GHz DDR3-2400 AIDA 1 Hour - right at the limits of the CPU and cooling

Use this thread to discuss/share results when you get your boards folks 🙂
1,087 REPLIES 1,087

Barefooter
Level 7
Orange is not my favorite color... but you build is magnificent!

Nodens
Level 16
Indeed! Your rig looks amazing!
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

I had my entire build ready and working outside of the case while i waited for the case to ship in. I got the system to run and everything and I enjoyed the hours spent playing BF4. My case finally shipped in and I put everything together and i booted it and it gave me a cpu fan error in the American Megatrends screen so i tuned it off and i realised i put the kraken x60 3 pin fan wire in the CPU_OPT header so I fixed my error and then flipped the switch on the PSU and pressed the power button on my computer and nothing happened. I look through the window in my case and i see that the red "Republic of Gamers" logo is lighting up is slowly lighting up then fading in a slow rhythm which never happened before. The entire system was good to go and i got everything to work except that misplaced. And I know none of the parts are faulty because it wouldnt have let me even get to the American Megatrends screen if they were. Can someone please shed some light on what the slow pulsing of the Republic of Gamers logo means and why it wont turn on?

Edit: i just tried pressing the power button about an hour after the initial tries and it powered on for a second before it shut itself down

My build http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/dashivang/saved/3BJE

dashivang wrote:
I had my entire build ready and working outside of the case while i waited for the case to ship in. I got the system to run and everything and I enjoyed the hours spent playing BF4. My case finally shipped in and I put everything together and i booted it and it gave me a cpu fan error in the American Megatrends screen so i tuned it off and i realised i put the kraken x60 3 pin fan wire in the CPU_OPT header so I fixed my error and then flipped the switch on the PSU and pressed the power button on my computer and nothing happened. I look through the window in my case and i see that the red "Republic of Gamers" logo is lighting up is slowly lighting up then fading in a slow rhythm which never happened before. The entire system was good to go and i got everything to work except that misplaced. And I know none of the parts are faulty because it wouldnt have let me even get to the American Megatrends screen if they were. Can someone please shed some light on what the slow pulsing of the Republic of Gamers logo means and why it wont turn on?

Edit: i just tried pressing the power button about an hour after the initial tries and it powered on for a second before it shut itself down

My build http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/dashivang/saved/3BJE

On the Kraken X60 do you have the usb connector plugged in? That same thing happened to me when I had the usb connector off.

The "Republic of Gamers" logo probably is not related to your problem. Also that can be turned off in the bios if you want to turn it off.

Barefooter wrote:
On the Kraken X60 do you have the usb connector plugged in? That same thing happened to me when I had the usb connector off.

The "Republic of Gamers" logo probably is not related to your problem. Also that can be turned off in the bios if you want to turn it off.

The slowly pulsing ROG logo does seem related to the problem because when the light is solid it would let me boot it and when it isnt solid it wouldnt let me boot and the kraken is plugged in correctly. When i got home today i tried to turn it on and IT WORKED for a second then shut down then it turned on again but i didnt have my screen in the same room so i turn it off and move the computer and when i got to my room i tried to turn it on but now it wouldnt WTF

Rargo
Level 7
Considering this board for my 2nd build but having a hard time finding memory compatability info. Was hoping to use Corsair Dominators 32GB but would like to know what is the fasted most reliable option. Please list model number.

Rargo wrote:
Considering this board for my 2nd build but having a hard time finding memory compatability info. Was hoping to use Corsair Dominators 32GB but would like to know what is the fasted most reliable option. Please list model number.

hello

There are a couple of memory QVLs on the support page of the M6F.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VI_FORMULA/#support

Thanks I checked that out!

can anyone please tell me if this is a Bug or a defect ? :

At Load the Voltage goes up to 2.2v. At the beginning i remember there was a Bug between CPUZ and Asus Boards were the VCCIN was read instead the Vcore but this is not the same because its also wrong in the Bios

Thanx

EDIT: made a own Thread here now :

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?44978-Maximus-VI-Formula-reads-1.9v-on-Core-Voltage-0-in-Bi...

You shouldn't run more than one temperature or voltage monitoring app at the same time it can confuse the apps to giving erroneous data.
ASUS Maximus VI Formula - i7 4770K - H80i - MSI R9 Fury X - HyperX 16GB Ram - 250GB + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD - Benq XL2730Z 2560x1440p 144hz Freesync - Seasonic 1000w 80 Plus Platnum...