cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4090 TUF OC Coil whine under load

Soupladel
Level 10
So i have just put the aforementioned GPU in my system, hooked it up with 4x8 PIN PCIE connectors via the adaptor supplied with it and under any sort of load, there is a very loud coil whine audible over game audio.

At first i thought it was due to the fact i was doing initial testing after installation and the case side panel was off, but even with the panel on, the noise is still audible over audio during games and synthetic benchmarks.

Anyone else Experienced this?

Is it something that might be fixed with a vbios update, or have i got a card that is perhaps a bit of a lemon?
7 REPLIES 7

Asryan
Level 10
I have the same issue on the same card..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQU6-ILFX5Q

It's been years i haven't been lucky with this, all my previous cards had coil whine; and it sucks even more on this one since the temperatures are gread and so the fans are quite silent in game and so all i can hear is this

Asryan wrote:
I have the same issue on the same card..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQU6-ILFX5Q

It's been years i haven't been lucky with this, all my previous cards had coil whine; and it sucks even more on this one since the temperatures are gread and so the fans are quite silent in game and so all i can hear is this

i don't really do productivity work but i have found a solution, or perhaps its more of a workaround than a solution for the issue in gaming, now i know there are probably people that are going to say "duh! obviously" here but i have never really had to deal with coil whine before so never really paid attention to videos or articles talking about it. However, i have found that if i cap the frame rate, even at something obscenely high like 240fps, it all but eliminates the coil whine and as my displays doesnt do higher than 144hz without enabling overclocking, its not really going to lose me anything by capping the frames

xeromist
It's also worth noting that coil whine can be affected by power supply. So for Asryan's situation, if the same power supply is reused, that could be the culprit.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Soupladel wrote:
i don't really do productivity work but i have found a solution, or perhaps its more of a workaround than a solution for the issue in gaming, now i know there are probably people that are going to say "duh! obviously" here but i have never really had to deal with coil whine before so never really paid attention to videos or articles talking about it. However, i have found that if i cap the frame rate, even at something obscenely high like 240fps, it all but eliminates the coil whine and as my displays doesnt do higher than 144hz without enabling overclocking, its not really going to lose me anything by capping the frames

I tried capping fps, didn't seemd to help.

xeromist wrote:
It's also worth noting that coil whine can be affected by power supply. So for Asryan's situation, if the same power supply is reused, that could be the culprit.

Yep same one. I had the same issue on my strix 3090. I've tried with to a thor a some point in the past same issue but seasonic and thor are quite the same..

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
"Coil" whine or inductor noise is a natural phenomenon.

1) PSUs produce their own coil whine. How much depends on the quality, type, specs, and size of the components used.

2) The graphics card also produces some coil whine. Again, how much depends on the quality, type, specs, and size of the components used.

3) Interaction between the PSU and graphics card can result in louder coil whine.

4) Coil whine is related to frequency and current.

5) Rapid changes in current demands (such as rapid load modulation when transitioning from low power state) is a major contributor to piezoelectric noise (some capacitor types are more prone to this).

6) As ripple frequency and other sources of power-related noise can impact the level of coil whine, some combinations of PSU and graphics cards may exhibit more noise than others. For a vendor, it is very difficult to account for all permutations because the cost is a factor if you want to increase resilience to coil whine. There is only so much a vendor will or can do.

7) As current plays a part, the amount of audible whine will vary from system to system.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Juice2643
Level 8
IDK About your 4090, but my last 2 Asus cards both had it my Tuf 3090 OC, and 2080Ti Strix OC.

My NEW Gigabyte 4090 OC Doesn't have one bit of coil whine.
I am using Seasonic 1000W power supply.

This is an Asus issue, and honestly unacceptable for that cost.

J0nit0
Level 7

I have the same issue. Got my 4090  card 2 days ago. Built a a new system ment to be quiet and now this.. To me this is unacceptable when you buy such an expensive card from a known brand such as Asus. Where is the quality control? Where are the durable components that doesn't whine? Where is the craftmanship? You know.. when you start selling products as expensive as these cards the brands responisibility and the consumers expectations also rises exponentially with the price of the product. Are you redy for this Asus? It's not toys for children you are selling anymore. Such a pity, I like the design, it fits with the rest of my system and my Asus motherboard... but i have to return it.