cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What buy first: Asus Rog Swift display or Maximus VII Formula?

schurmann
Level 7
Hi,

I'm going to purchase very soon 2x strix970 plus one of the following options:
1- Asus rog swift pg278q, or
2- Asus Maximus VII Formula + 4790k

These parts are to replace my Asus rampage 2 extreme, i7-950 and Asus VW266H.

What should I buy first (remaing will be bought in 6 months), consedering the main purpose is gaming?
Another concern is i have 3x2gb corsair dominator gt 2000 memory that i want to use in the new maximus7f. Can only 4gb be enough to play modern games and support the 970sli?

Thanks!
10 REPLIES 10

Heini
Level 11
I'd opt for #2 and add some memory.

KingsGambit
Level 7
Get the Formula first to start your build. The 4gb dominators are fine, but me personally, I would sell it and use the money to help pay for 16 gb.
i7-4970k | ASUS Maximus VII Formula | GeForce ATX 780 Classified | Corsair AX860i PSU | Corsair 760T

schurmann
Level 7
Thanks Heini and KingsGambit.
I'm going to buy both options wright now but staying with my dominator's for now.

ConkersGrillfor
Level 9
Why do you talk about 4Gb of RAM, when you have 6Gb (3x2Gb)? :confused:
Intel Performance level CPUs have dual-channel memory controller, you can use 6Gb and save money in the coming months for a 16Gb kit.
Desktop: Xigmatek Elysium | Rampage IV Extreme | i7-3960X | G.Skill 32Gb DDR3 2133Mhz|fastest Asus MarsII on the planet:cool: core 950Mhz| Kingston HyperX SSD 240Gb + 300Gb Intel 300series SSD + Velociraptor 600Gb + 3TB HDD | Enermax Maxrevo 1500W| 3xDell U2412m |
Laptop: Samsung 940X3G | i7-4500U | 8Gb RAM | 256Gb SSD | 13.3" 3200x1800 |

Well, the last system i had with dual channel required the same size of memory in both channels other wise it would be single channel. When i read the specs of the m7f i didn't read all the memory config, but after your post and new reading perhaps i can use the 3 dimms and the system will operate with 4gb in dual channel plus the remaining 2gb in single channel. Is it true?

Brighttail
Level 11
Go with the Formula first. The monitor is a bit overpriced as it is pretty much one of two G-sync monitors on the market now. I believe once there is some competition, the price will drop a bit and/or there may be a better version out by then.
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

schurmann wrote:
Well, the last system i had with dual channel required the same size of memory in both channels other wise it would be single channel. When i read the specs of the m7f i didn't read all the memory config, but after your post and new reading perhaps i can use the 3 dimms and the system will operate with 4gb in dual channel plus the remaining 2gb in single channel. Is it true?

Yes, this is correct, 2x2Gb will run in dual-channel mode and 1x2Gb will run single-channel.
So you've still installed 6Gb RAM, which is definitely better than only 4Gb, until you saved the money you need for a new kit.

Brighttail wrote:
Go with the Formula first. The monitor is a bit overpriced as it is pretty much one of two G-sync monitors on the market now. I believe once there is some competition, the price will drop a bit and/or there may be a better version out by then.

There is no first or second, buy it all or buy nothing. :rolleyes::D
Nvidia respectively Mr. Nvidia Jen-Hsun Huang never drops prices, neither for the G-Sync module nor for the GTX Titan Z. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Desktop: Xigmatek Elysium | Rampage IV Extreme | i7-3960X | G.Skill 32Gb DDR3 2133Mhz|fastest Asus MarsII on the planet:cool: core 950Mhz| Kingston HyperX SSD 240Gb + 300Gb Intel 300series SSD + Velociraptor 600Gb + 3TB HDD | Enermax Maxrevo 1500W| 3xDell U2412m |
Laptop: Samsung 940X3G | i7-4500U | 8Gb RAM | 256Gb SSD | 13.3" 3200x1800 |

Thanks Conker! If you hadn't question probably my new system would only have 4gb until the memory upgrade.. 🙂

Thanks Brighttail for your for input but i'm afraid is too late... got carried away and already ordered all the parts :))

schurmann wrote:
Thanks Conker! If you hadn't question probably my new system would only have 4gb until the memory upgrade.. 🙂

Thanks Brighttail for your for input but i'm afraid is too late... got carried away and already ordered all the parts :))

So you bought the monitor already or did you do the motherboard and accessories? Or did you order EVERYTHING? 🙂
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop