cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fan Xpert 4 and Hard drive fans.

Skirnir
Level 7
First a little background

I have an aging (But still awesome) Lian Li Tyr X-2000 Case, it has 3 heat zones, hard drives, motherboard and slot in cards, and 5 1/4", 3 1/2" external drive bays and power supply.

So, the hard drives have their own 2 small exhaust fans at the bottom rear of the case (as far from the fan controller in the front middle of the case as you can get)

So I hook those 2 small but important fans up to the motherboard, as per usual, because that always works, certainly it will work on a Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero with a delidded i7-7700K!

I install the AISuite 3 with the accompanying Fan Xpert 4 because that will be great! (And it is, really it is, except for my teeny tiny little special problem)

I change the performance profile, and the HDD exhaust fans drop to 0 RPMs, that is not good, the HDDs get warm very fast without them.

So, I set a threshold in BIOS of 600 RPMs, because at least the fans will not turn off then.
BIOS Max. RPM Threshold: Moderate failure, fans spin down to 600 RPM (This is too hot for Seagates).
Fan Xpert 4 threshold 1483: FAILURE, fans spin down to 0 RPM.
Fixed RPM of 1500: FAILURE, fans spin down to 0 RPM.
Set the fans to operate indepently of temperature: FAILURE (that option is not there)
Reinstall Aisuite and don't run Fan optimization: FAILURE again.

Why (for the love of kitties) is RPM fixed mode not respected?
1 REPLY 1

Skirnir
Level 7
I ran out of space.

The Workarounds:

Threshold of 600 in BIOS _IS_ respected, but it is far too low.
So I manually have to jog the RPM fixed mode for both fans, whenever I change between High Performance and Power Saver modes in Dual Intelligent Processor 5, yes in both directions, High Performance also set the fans at the BIOS threshold speed.

Obviously I'm going to have to break out a bunch of fan extension cables, which leaves the CPU fan as the only fan I have connected to motherboard.

I just wanted to use 2 fan headers on the motherboard, and now because Fan Xpert 4 is integrated in AISuite 3, I can't (unless the BIOS would have done the same thing to my case, in which case for shame!)

Also, something decided to run my RAM (rated for 3600 at 1.35 Volts) at 1.5 Volts, what is up with that? It's a massive overvolt considering the standard voltage is 1.2?

But, you know, apart from that, AISuite 3 is great, I totally love it. :cool: