cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VIII Dark Hero new, 3204 BIOS is useless

mpowerph
Level 7
Hi, I am just wondering, what did the company think, when they released this crappy 3204 BIOS? Absolutely awful... The memory system became unstable, I receive random shut downs, critical errors, WHEA, sometimes with 00 POST Code, when the only way to restart the board is to cut off the power supply. Sometimes takes ages to boot into Win, because there is no POST or there is an endless boot circle with various POST Code errors. There is no PBO activated, only PB and the XMP profile.

I have tried backflash one of the old, stable BIOS, but it does not work at all, it does not allow me to do it, I cannot use the old, stable one again. So, I am seeking advice, what to do, I want to get a rid off the crap. There was a good BETA BIOS in middle of Dec, it just worked fine.
11 REPLIES 11

mpowerph
Level 7
Right... I managed to reflash the BIOS. I needed to use a smaller pendrive, it was not able to read the 32GB one.

I also found the reason of the restarts. I am sure, the new AMD AGESA caused those idle restarts, with the high boost frequencies. As I wrote it before, I do not use PBO, I use PB, with DOC, so I did not touch the Curve Optimiser.
So, I have tested the boost frequencies with the newest, 3204 BIOS is 5045MHz with 1 core under load. Also, up to 3 core is still 5037MHz. And up to 6 cores, it is 4950MHz. U can check those with Ryzen Masters, HWInfo Effective clock, or CTR2.1, and just use Cinebench R20, and just set the threads for 1 core load to 1 thread, 3 core load to 3 threads, etc...

With the old BIOS' , these frequencies are much slower, on 3 core under load is only 4840MHz... Huge different, it is. So at least it is clear, my CPU is not enough for the new Agesa, and if I want to use my PC with the new BIOS', I need to switch off the precision boost too. I sad, honestly, I think, it is unacceptable. I will send a message for the AMD with these details, and have a look, what they gonna answer me. I got the CPU from the first batches, in the first week, so I was lucky, but maybe I was not lucky enough, and this will not be stable with the newest AGESA versions. This will affect the 5950X only, as that CPU has the highest factory boost frequency. The other models does 4950MHz or less with 1 core boost.

mpowerph wrote:
Right... I managed to reflash the BIOS. I needed to use a smaller pendrive, it was not able to read the 32GB one.

I also found the reason of the restarts. I am sure, the new AMD AGESA caused those idle restarts, with the high boost frequencies. As I wrote it before, I do not use PBO, I use PB, with DOC, so I did not touch the Curve Optimiser.
So, I have tested the boost frequencies with the newest, 3204 BIOS is 5045MHz with 1 core under load. Also, up to 3 core is still 5037MHz. And up to 6 cores, it is 4950MHz. U can check those with Ryzen Masters, HWInfo Effective clock, or CTR2.1, and just use Cinebench R20, and just set the threads for 1 core load to 1 thread, 3 core load to 3 threads, etc...

With the old BIOS' , these frequencies are much slower, on 3 core under load is only 4840MHz... Huge different, it is. So at least it is clear, my CPU is not enough for the new Agesa, and if I want to use my PC with the new BIOS', I need to switch off the precision boost too. I sad, honestly, I think, it is unacceptable. I will send a message for the AMD with these details, and have a look, what they gonna answer me. I got the CPU from the first batches, in the first week, so I was lucky, but maybe I was not lucky enough, and this will not be stable with the newest AGESA versions. This will affect the 5950X only, as that CPU has the highest factory boost frequency. The other models does 4950MHz or less with 1 core boost.

Please report on this if you get any info