cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair Hero VIII PCIE problem

fredepf
Level 7
Hello .

I have a Crosshair Hero VIII . Bios 1302,Ryzen 9 3950X (No Bend pin), RX5700XT, 32gig corsair vengeance.
I am unable to run my video card in the upper slot at PCIE 4.0 16X
The card run at PCIE 4.0 8x .
All other slot are empty, i have 1 nvme m.2 ssd 1 tb in the upper slot.
but thats it...

I set evething in the bios but it show the PCIE1_16x at Native 8X .
I RMA the Board and got a new one and the problem are still there.

Any idea?
Thanks for your Help
28 REPLIES 28

fortiscrew1 wrote:
Is bios version 1302 the only one you have used? At this point in time there is no game that can saturate PCIE Gen 3.0 at 16X moreover PCIE Gen 4.0 at 16x.
It could be a case where the bios has not matured to that level. Nevertheless, it is about 1 year since the X570 motherboards have been released. Asus Tech needs to get their act together. I hope it will work eventually.

Best Regards,
Fortiscrew.

Yes the bios is 1302 . i think is the bios problem . i know it does not have impac on the perf but i want to kno why.
I will check the psu but it's the same in the other computer.
Maybe it's bios issue but a this price asus should do something whit the bios cause it's bad imo.

Thanks for your help

Just a update to know if one of you have this problem?
whit x570 , 3950X and 5700XT ?

Thanks

Nobody here have this problem?

fredepf wrote:
Nobody here have this problem?

Have you tried any of the other PCIEx16 slots on your board? The 1302 bios is the most stable bios so I doubt it's that. If the video card works in your other slots you might have a faulty PCIE slot. But if you've RMA'd the board and it's still an issue. Most likely it's not the board. That leaves 3 possible issues:
1. Human error, are you sure you're mounting it correctly?
2. Other faulty hardware.
3. Software.
When you turn your PC on does the GPU power up? Did your GPU always have this issue or is it something new with this board/bios version? If you turn your PC on and your GPU powers up but doesn't display anything, it could be your drivers crashing your GPU.

Scottx125 wrote:
Have you tried any of the other PCIEx16 slots on your board? The 1302 bios is the most stable bios so I doubt it's that. If the video card works in your other slots you might have a faulty PCIE slot. But if you've RMA'd the board and it's still an issue. Most likely it's not the board. That leaves 3 possible issues:
1. Human error, are you sure you're mounting it correctly?
2. Other faulty hardware.
3. Software.
When you turn your PC on does the GPU power up? Did your GPU always have this issue or is it something new with this board/bios version? If you turn your PC on and your GPU powers up but doesn't display anything, it could be your drivers crashing your GPU.

Hello .

Everything is mount correctly for sur .
I Check all the Hardware on other computer and everithing is fine.
I update bios to 2206 Now and even if in the bios i set to 16X the GPU run at 8X.
i have no bug , computer run fine .

i know i don't lost perf but i want to find why it not run at 16x

Thanks

OP
(1) How do you determine a loss of x16 to x8 ?
(2) Can you show us why this even matters ?

I doubt your card could soak all of x8 PCIe gen4 bandwidth in any case.

RedSector73 wrote:
OP
(1) How do you determine a loss of x16 to x8 ?
(2) Can you show us why this even matters ?

I doubt your card could soak all of x8 PCIe gen4 bandwidth in any case.

In the Bios it sowh Native 8X
GPUZ Show it can work at PCIE 4.0 16x but run at PCIE 4.0 8X
Even The Radeon Software show same thing.

I know i don't lost Perf but i want to find what is the problem.

Thanks

In the latest BIOS did you reset to default setup / clear the bios and manually reenter any data ?
Do you have both EATX connectors (top left of CPU) connected ?
Have you checked every connector is properly connected to the motherboard - fully seated ?
What happens when you set AUTO - still get x8 ?

Also, what is actual RAM and version number ?
Have you tried it set default speed or running XMP speed or do you have manual / custom settings and if so what ?

In windows, have you installed the latest chipset drivers from AMD ?
https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570

What version of windows are you running, use {CMD} and then {VER} to get exact version number and post it.

Hope you find this helpful, trying to understand all the missing information and check for anything that might cuase issue.

Hello Thanks for your Help.

Yes All the connector are connect i check tree times.
Yes The Card are seat good i even clean whit alchool the goldfinger.
When i set to Auto it the same . WOrk at 8x .

Ram is on DHCP (XMP) and work Good .
The revision is 4.31 CMW32GX4M4K3733C17

Microsoft Windows [version 10.0.19041.450]

I don't know where to check lol.
But i want to find the bug.

Thanks for your help .

Thank you for the information. From it, I see, a thing left that maybe a long shot or nothing as well, anyway your ram
CMW32GX4M4K3733C17 is not on the QVL for memory for both Asus website for CH8 or AMD for Ryzen 3 series
https://www.amd.com/en/products/ryzen-compatible-memory/ready-for-3rd-gen-amd-ryzen

There are four modules, perhaps lets try 2 (in second and fourth slot from CPU) and see if this changes anything and if this does not work, let's try not running DOCP just default and see if this changes anything.

If the above test fails to fix, then I would try borrowing another graphics card to see the issue is there, and
from the information given, I'm all out of ideas if this does not resolve the issue or pinpoint the source for you.