cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL502VS Bios 306 = no boot with secondary SATA SSD connected?

john_matrix
Level 7
Hello,

I have updated the BIOS of my GL502vs to the v306 and it simply cannot boot anymore.
Indeed, it's now freezing with the Republic of Gamers logo.

After some investigations, I have discovered that this is the SSD (Samsung 860 EVO) connected on the SATA port that is causing this freeze (a mechanical HDD or nothing connected cause the system to boot normally).

I have compare the logs of the v302 and the v306 BIOSes with AMIBCP and the only differences are some mentions of nvme settings).

Are some GL502vs owners in the same case?
52 REPLIES 52

msilcher wrote:
I stopped using ASUS updater some time ago since it contains know bugs (allow remote code execution).

Ironically, that's what the new bios update fixes.

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
Ironically, that's what the new bios update fixes.

Really? Where did you get that info? I never saw a changelog for ASUS BIOS updates... No fixes for the internal NVME drive causing issues with W10 reboot/upgrades? 😞

msilcher wrote:
Really? Where did you get that info? I never saw a changelog for ASUS BIOS updates... No fixes for the internal NVME drive causing issues with W10 reboot/upgrades? 😞

From the Asus website, it was not really a changelog, more like a blog post. I'll see if I can find the link.

msilcher wrote:
Thanks for clarifying, now I got it!!! It is almost my scenario, I stopped using ASUS updater some time ago since it contains know bugs (allow remote code execution). Also using Samsung EVO SATA as secondary drive and had to rollback from 306 to 302. In fact I'm still waiting for feedback from ASUS support team since I reported the issues with BIOS 306 as many of you. They say they are working on it and it will take some time...

At least they told you they were working on it. They basically told me they had no plans for release lol. I hope whomever you talked to was correct. Anyway glad it worked for you.

Still no update to the BIOS and now they've removed 302 for some reason so I hope no one else gets stuck at 306 now. Otherwise youll be at the mercy of support.*

For anyone who needs to roll back to 302 or simply is looking for this BIOS version, please find it below.

ASUS GL502VS BIOS 302

raju2529
Level 7
I am using 3 disks in r542uq-dm153

Samsung 860 Evo 250gb m.2
Seagate 2tb sata
Toshiba 1tb sata
Intel i5 7200U_ Nvidia 940MX _Windows_11_Enterprise_64bit_22H2_buildno_22621.754

nytwolf45
Level 8
Do I get it correctly that BIOS 306 does not work?
I've recently updated to Windows1903 as windows now force the update. After struggling with installation, I managed to install 1903 via usb fresh install. I have issue wherein I get stuck in the ROG splash screen whenever I restart. I was hoping the new bios306 would fix this restart problem. Any other steps in fixing this troubled laptop?

Updating to 1903 problems are getting stuck at 85%. Restarting freeze at ROG splash screen.

nytwolf45 wrote:
Do I get it correctly that BIOS 306 does not work?
I've recently updated to Windows1903 as windows now force the update. After struggling with installation, I managed to install 1903 via usb fresh install. I have issue wherein I get stuck in the ROG splash screen whenever I restart. I was hoping the new bios306 would fix this restart problem. Any other steps in fixing this troubled laptop?

Updating to 1903 problems are getting stuck at 85%. Restarting freeze at ROG splash screen.

Do you have a Samsung SATA SSD or other SATA SSD in your secondary or tertiary drive spot? If so you’ll need to remove it and this should allow you to boot up. Then you will probably want to revert to the previous version of Windows 10 and flashback the BIOS to 302. Until ASUS releases a new BIOS update that doesn’t have this issue I think we are stuck with the old version of Windows 10.

Has anyone had any luck updating to Windows 10 1903 using the regedit to block driver updates? If ASUS is saying they don't support Samsung drives that kind of sounds like we can either 1) buy a new drive or 2) try to get around it if we want to continue receiving Windows updates.