cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G51/53/71/73 Keyboard Mod

grungeboy2
Level 10
there's been a little done in regards to changing the keyboard color. i think xoticpc offered it as a option on some of the G-Series laptops.

i saw a pretty thurough video the other day.

on the g51 there's no need to remove the screws on the bottom, it was easily popped out by the 5 tabs.

i used a small flathead screwdriver to pop the tabs, they don't take much pressure at all. once you get one end up you can lightly lift up to aid in the popping of the other tabs.

once open and out, i laid the keyboard back towards me. it was not nessacery to unhook the keyboard, but i did the first time i did it. i then took the plastic i wanted to use and laid over the back of the keyboard. there's a black band going around the out side of the back of the keyboard. the plastic you use needs to fit with in that band.

there are two screws that need to be removed as well. i didn't mess with putting the screws back in, once i put my film in (making sure to get it all the way to the bottom of the keyboard so that it covers all the rows of keys) i used a little clear tape.

i put it along the sides and then over the back. i used two at the top, one at each side, and then two at the bottom.

when seperating the led light panel care must be taken that you don't completely remove it. the object is to break the seal, open it enough to slide the color film you want to use, then seal it up.

i fiddled with it while the laptop was on, but this obviously should be recommended.

another mistake i made when hooking it back up was to hook the backlight power cord into the top of the black connector instead of the bottom of it. easy mistake to make.

the effect is quite nice. the blue was ok, but came out to faint, so it was a very light blue. a darker blue would produce a nicer effect, as i'm sure a darker red would too.

19 REPLIES 19

Is there a way to change the lights on the G74sx?
G74SX-XR1, i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz
16.0 GB RAM @ 1333MHZ
GTX560M 3GB DDR5

Great Mod, What is the actual name of the film you used? I do like the blue. Thanks
William "Vern" Van Matre:)

Which is the back light cable among these two?

eugvor wrote:
Which is the back light cable among these two?

Ok. Never mind, I found it, it's a smaller one.

i live in nashville and sometimes do stage hand work for shows that go on at the Bridgestone Arena. the blue film i used came from a lighting guy during a Reba McIntyre set up. i couldn't tell you what it was. it was blue and thin. light shined through it easily. the red material was from a $1 cooking pan for sale at the dollar store.

the cooking pan was a aluminum pan with a clear red lid. i bought it then cut the lid up for the plastic.

i used clear tape around the edges of the keyboard once i got the film the right size and in the right place. send pics of what you ended up with. how'd it turn out?

grungeboy2
Level 10
the keyboard lights?

probably the same way i did the mod on mine, the difference being in how the keyboard comes apart.

if the folks at ASUS would supply me with a G74 i'd be happy to mod it and do a write up on it. 😄

it's probably pretty similar inside. as for how to take it apart or mod it. dunno.

RoG1
Level 7
This is sow sweet but, i just bought the "logitech G110", but very nice mod indeed m8!

another one to consider is the Alienware TacTX keyboard.

they're $80 from Dell. that's not bad.

hopefully Asus will add a similar feature to their G-Series. a few others already have theirs out (the msi comes to mind, but i think the steel series they use has some issues).

it'd be great to see Asus pull it out and make it work right. that'd be a great hit for the next line up (G55/G75). a move like that would keep them ahead of the pack and help the RoG line really stand out.

fisherman
Level 7
I have spent 2 days looking for the backlit film without much luck. Not to mention getting a blue piece. Is there another film that would work on the chiclet keyboard?
William "Vern" Van Matre:)

Giannis996
Level 9
epic!!!!!!!!!!!!just epic!
Project Name: System Specs:
Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition
Prossesor: Intel Core i7 4820k
Graphic Card: Asus GTX Titan x2
*Power Supply: Cooler Master V850
Ram: 32Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133Mhz
Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D
SSD: 2x Samsung Evo 250Gb Raid 0