cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8th 980ti Matrix Platinum failure SOON TO BE THE 9TH! PLEASE HELP!!!!

etihad
Level 7
Hey all,

I thought my best option was to reach out on here to get some help, either from the community here or ASUS member of staff.

I bought my first high-end graphics card last year roughly September. It was a 980ti Matrix platinum at the time costing me £630. I then bought my 2nd 980ti matrix Platinum just before Christmas 2015. Both of these were bought from CCL Computer based in The UK in Bradford.
I had trouble free gaming experience for roughly 3 months. Perfect cards, extremely high performance and reliability. Little did I know that this was the only time I would experience a problem free gaming experience.

The first card I bought randomly started to switch off (monitor not detecting signal) during first 5min of gaming. My 2nd card was working fine, so after basic trouble shooting I determined the card had developed a fault. I returned the card to CCL which they tested and sent back to ASUS under warranty. I received the card back after a Month thinking ASUS would fix without a problem, since it's such a high desktop GPU and costing £620. I got the card back when i first installed it, it would let me enable SLI at all, and when i did play (mainly BF4) the screen would flicker on and off. Again after some trouble shooting I determined it was the card. I went back to CCL who refunded me as they didnt have the cards in stock again and neither did ASUS.
Thinking this was just a one off problem I then found these cards in stock at Overclockers UK. I purchased the same card with the refunded money. The trip for me is about 120 miles to Overclockers UK. When I got back home i plugged the video card in, and straight away the LED would go Amber in colour (showing under load) . Knowing that the LED lights are controlled by the Bios there was no other options for me apart from to check the GPU bios and made sure that the card was installed separately just encase SLi was putting the card under load. Again The amber LED issue continued. I then went back to overclockers UK and they replaced it with a different card.

I asked the staff there to check the cards LED was working before making the journey back, which they did and everything seemed fine. I was problem free for about a month, where the card decided to develop the same issue as the previous one. However this time no matter what I did the card wouldnt load anything. My 2nd card was still fine so i knew it wasnt a issue from my pc. Yet i decided to try it on another fully working computer and still it would load anything on the screen. I then went back to Overclockers UK.
I was given another card after them testing the faulty one. I got home and once more the LED the card was stuck on AMBER and RED and would flicker under load and max boost was 1200MHZ.

I took the card back they tested it again and gave me another one. This time everything seemed fine till again another month goes by and i started experiencing game crashes, computer sometimes doesn't switch on. I again go through a troubleshooting situation and find out the card was causing the problem. I return it and get another one. (4th)

The 4th one again has the LED amber issue so i return it and get the 5th

The 5th card worked fine until a night of gaming and start hearing electrical buzzing noise and my computer switches off. Once more I find out the culpret is the GPU. I took this back and again given another one. I get home and I have the LED issue. I decided to call overclockers and tell them to either refund me or replace the card with a different make. They said they cant refund me but only replace. This was last month. So i went back to overclockers they gave me my 6th replacement which had the LED issue. Again replaced it with the 7th card, which am using as I type this; but now after 20min of gaming my screen switches off and i have to restart my computer for it to work. And sometimes a restart isnt enough i have to turn the power supply off from the mains wait 1 or 2 seconds then switch it back on.

Now my 2nd card that I had bought from CCL computers also decided to stop working and will not switch on at all. I have returned the card to CCL which they have sent to ASUS under warranty. I will either get a semi-fixed card back from ASUS or a refund as CCL dont stock them anymore.

I have all the paperwork from the RMA's and proof the issue is not from me. I run MSI afterburner when gaming to keep a eye out on temps etc. Even though they are large cards and fairly close to one another the temps on the top card never gets about 75 degrees after a long gaming session. I also mix the setup when i get a new card, I put the older one on the top and new one at the bottom just incase the slightly increase in temps by being at the top is causing the issue. I have tried everything i can think off. I have more than enough cooling, I run everything at stock no overclocking on anything.

I have tested these gpu's on more than one machine, i have lost count on how many formats and taking my pc apart.

I seriously think this is unacceptable from ASUS. Spending £1240 and i am having so much problems. I have never ever experienced this from any manufacturer. I have many ASUS products...

ASUS Swift PG279Q (no issue)
ASUS ROG Maximus Viii (No issue)
ASUS Gladius (no issue)
Asus vulcan headset (recently returned due to developing a fault and got refunded)

Now i'm not a newbie and I have been building computers for years so I am clued up and know fully well when something is caused because of user error which this is not the case.

I need advice please, it will soon be on my 9th GPU REPLACEMENT!!! I cant even remember the last time I have had a smooth gaming experience because of my issues. The staff at overclockers have tried, and they have not caused me issues when RMA-ing the card but there is only so many times you can replace a product.

I also have signed up to ASUS VIP, which has done absolutely nothing for me.
What should I do now? please help me!!

My system specs are in my signature but I have replaced my PSU with a Corsair 1000W, even the my RM850 was more than fine.

Thank you
i9 10900K @ 5.3GHZ | Asus ROG Maximus XII Extreme | 32GB 8Pack @ 3600MHZ | 1.8TB HDD WD Raid 0 | H115iGTX | Sapphire 6900XT Toxic Extreme Edition| Samsung Pro 950 M.2 512GB | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q | Corsair RM850 | Kingston HyperX 500GB | Corsair 780T |
18 REPLIES 18

Heini
Level 11
Get a refund and apply it to a 1080 or 1070.

Heini wrote:
Get a refund and apply it to a 1080 or 1070.

I would but they will not give me a refund
i9 10900K @ 5.3GHZ | Asus ROG Maximus XII Extreme | 32GB 8Pack @ 3600MHZ | 1.8TB HDD WD Raid 0 | H115iGTX | Sapphire 6900XT Toxic Extreme Edition| Samsung Pro 950 M.2 512GB | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q | Corsair RM850 | Kingston HyperX 500GB | Corsair 780T |

irq_tikrit
Level 7
is this where i get to find out that the 900 series customers are screwed over wtih regards to support??

Anyone?

Nate152
Hi Etihad

Wow if you're on your 9th 980 Ti I'd say something is killing them and it's likely your psu.

You might want to have a look at an evga supernova or seasonic psu.

evga supernova 850w platinum - 10 yr. warranty - $129.99, it looks like there's a promo code for an additional 10% off which ends in 5 days.

Platinum is more efficient than bronze, silver, gold.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2F84BD0535&cm_re=evga_platinum-_-17-438-056-_-Pr...

How is it working with your 1000w psu?

irq.tikrit - I'm pretty sure all Asus gpu's carry a 3 year warranty, the 900 series gpu's are still supported.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi Etihad

Wow if you're on your 9th 980 Ti I'd say something is killing them and it's likely your psu.

You might want to have a look at an evga supernova or seasonic psu.

evga supernova 850w platinum - 10 yr. warranty - $129.99, it looks like there's a promo code for an additional 10% off which ends in 5 days.

Platinum is more efficient than bronze, silver, gold.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2F84BD0535&cm_re=evga_platinum-_-17-438-056-_-Pr...

How is it working with your 1000w psu?

irq.tikrit - I'm pretty sure all Asus gpu's carry a 3 year warranty, the 900 series gpu's are still supported.

Thanks for your reply mate.

I'd agree with you it maybe the PSU, however i have had the cards break on two different power supplies my 850w and 1000w. Also as mentioned I have had these graphics card fail in a completely different system. Furthermore i have had atleast 4 come out of the box faulty straight away.

Yeah 3 years warranty but will Asus still manufacture them in 3 years? these cards are out of stock/end of product life cycle newrly everywhere.

It isnt a PSU issue, i have a power draw reader, when everything was working under full load my max pullage from the wall was 690W ~ 710W. HoweverI still bought another one just incase and the same issues.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
That is ridiculous!

Have you kept track of serial numbers? maybe these retailers have a box of returned cards and you are getting the same two or three over and over?

:confused:

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
That is ridiculous!

Have you kept track of serial numbers? maybe these retailers have a box of returned cards and you are getting the same two or three over and over?

:confused:

Yeah i know tell me about it.

i kept track of the first five, but they have it on the system and i do check against it when they gave me the "new ones".

😞

xeromist
If not the PSU I'd be tempted to blame the motherboard. I know you said you tried the cards in another system but they were also in the primary system so the damage may have been done already. That kind of luck is astronomically improbable. No matter the cause that just sucks. Sorry man.

Another thought I had: were all your tests done with the same monitor? I wonder if it's possible for a monitor to damage a GPU like this. I mean it's possible for a damaged device to send high voltage over a low voltage cable but I don't know if it would cause the specific symptoms you are seeing.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
If not the PSU I'd be tempted to blame the motherboard. I know you said you tried the cards in another system but they were also in the primary system so the damage may have been done already. That kind of luck is astronomically improbable. No matter the cause that just sucks. Sorry man.

Another thought I had: were all your tests done with the same monitor? I wonder if it's possible for a monitor to damage a GPU like this. I mean it's possible for a damaged device to send high voltage over a low voltage cable but I don't know if it would cause the specific symptoms you are seeing.

I also thought of both of these issues. However i quickly concluded that it is highly unprobable. The reason being one of my cards, (the first 2nd) GPU i bought in December had only just failed that is 10 months of usage as both primary and secondary card. So it has been in more than one PCI-E slot, and also had my Asus swift PG279Q connected to it.

Adding to this, I have also received 4 cards faulty out of the box. The LED lights were broken and they are connected to the GPU via the bios, so it's impossible for my motherboard or screen to play a part in.

Unfortunately I genuinely think that these cards are faulty and can only be put down to quality control issue. However at £630 a pop, this is beyond acceptable.