cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will not run in Quad Channel/1 Channel Prevents Post

Canuck5252
Level 7
Hello all,

I've been having an odd issue with this board and the 2950x.

I first set it all up 2 weeks ago using this board and a 2950x with 2 sets of CMW32GX4M4C3200C14 which is on the QVL for 32 GBs. I did want 64 so I bought two thinking that would be fine.

I set it all up, it booted, installed windows, all ram was detected and everything was well. I left it overnight and into the next day and everything was working as it should be. Later on in the evening, the computer went into a boot loop with error D0. I removed all the RAM and started checking 1 by 1 in the A1 DIMM and it all booted fine. I started populated the DIMMs and the only DIMM that would not allow a boot and cause the D0 was C1. I could put ram into C2 and it would be recongized but not usable. Therefore, I had only 49 gBs working.

I also realized that I needed ram that was on the QVL for 64 gbs and purchased this set instead : CMW64GX4M8Z2933C16

After reading forums I figured it may have been a bad board so i changed out the board and same issue; C1 would not allow a boot. I then thought maybe it was a bad memory controller so got a new CPU and when I put the new CPU in, C1 started to work, but A1 is now the issue.

Regardless if on the QVL or not, I can populate now C1, D1, and B1 with no issue, but as soon as anything goes into the A1, I get error O0.

I've reseated the CPU, checked bent pins, and even removed the orange sleeve that the CPU comes in for better contact. Oddly enough, for the new CPU, I had to remove it as it was giving me a 00 error with that on. I assume there was poor contact between the pins and CPU.

I have called ASUS support and I keep getting the same gentleman who puts me on hold and never comes back so I thought I'd try here. Is it my luck I got two CPUs, both with bad memory controllers?

Any help would be appreciated.
9 REPLIES 9

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Not sure what to make of all that Canuck5252

I mean you can get unlucky with hardware but that's two boards and two CPUs with bad result.

Do they have 2950X compatible BIOS installed....I presume yes.

You definitely don't need to remove the orange sleeve around the CPU so something is wrong there...

Did you make sure you are tightening the screws down evenly and in the correct order to the rated torque?

What PSU do you have and are the 24 pin and both 8pin ATX connectors populated?

When you changed out the board was that RMA and a reconditioned replacement or new board?

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Not sure what to make of all that Canuck5252

I mean you can get unlucky with hardware but that's two boards and two CPUs with bad result.

Do they have 2950X compatible BIOS installed....I presume yes.

You definitely don't need to remove the orange sleeve around the CPU so something is wrong there...

Did you make sure you are tightening the screws down evenly and in the correct order to the rated torque?

What PSU do you have and are the 24 pin and both 8pin ATX connectors populated?

When you changed out the board was that RMA and a reconditioned replacement or new board?

Hello

Yes the BIOS is updated to 1501.

The CPU has been torqued down properly with the correct torque in the correct order.

The PSU is: AX1600i Digital ATX Power Supply — 1600 Watt Fully-Modular PSU. I even switched this from a 1200 W earlier that also worked and did the same issue. Got the larger one for more Wattage room.

The board and CPU were just brand new buys, as I was able to just return the one board (gotta love amazon), and it did the same thing.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Only one slot now?
Sounds like you have had more than your fair share of failures.
Did you try logging a ticket through the support portal? Its slower but usually ends in resolution and you have trail of the correspondence. Just be prepared to be patient. You always get someone that will send an automated response via C&P from the FAQ section that does you no good. After one or two of those it gets escalated.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Only one slot now?
Sounds like you have had more than your fair share of failures.
Did you try logging a ticket through the support portal? Its slower but usually ends in resolution and you have trail of the correspondence. Just be prepared to be patient. You always get someone that will send an automated response via C&P from the FAQ section that does you no good. After one or two of those it gets escalated.

I'll give this a try. I tried using their online source yesterday but kept getting some automated response so gave up. I can try again later today.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello buddy can you list your full system specs for me, I am particularly interested in the PSU and the connectors. Could you possibly check and see if they are all firmly and correctly seated. Mate sometimes the little silver metal pin things come out of the plastic connectors and cause no end of grief.

Just trying to remove variables at this point as statistically it is nearly zero to have both 2 x CPU and 2 x motherboards being defective. Can happen of course but...
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Hello buddy can you list your full system specs for me, I am particularly interested in the PSU and the connectors. Could you possibly check and see if they are all firmly and correctly seated. Mate sometimes the little silver metal pin things come out of the plastic connectors and cause no end of grief.

Just trying to remove variables at this point as statistically it is nearly zero to have both 2 x CPU and 2 x motherboards being defective. Can happen of course but...

CPU: 2950x
Mobo: Zenith Extreme with BIOS 1501
GPUs: 2 2080 Tis FE
RAM: CMW64GX4M8Z2933C16
M2 Drives: 1 950 Samsung, 2 960's
SSD: 6 Total (2 samsung 850, 2 860, 2 ADATA990)
PSU: AX1600i Digital ATX Power Supply — 1600 Watt Fully-Modular PSU

When I reinstalled the PSU for 1600 I reconnected everything. As well, I use a open cooling loop so open it with the bridge (short trick) to active the pump to start moving the water around and then reseat it nice and tight.

Canuck5252
Level 7
Canuck5252 wrote:
Hello all,

I first set it all up 2 weeks ago using this board and a 2950x with 2 sets of CMW32GX4M4C3200C14 which is on the QVL for 32 GBs. I did want 64 so I bought two thinking that would be fine.

I set it all up, it booted, installed windows, all ram was detected and everything was well. I left it overnight and into the next day and everything was working as it should be. Later on in the evening, the computer went into a boot loop with error D0. I removed all the RAM and started checking 1 by 1 in the A1 DIMM and it all booted fine. I started populated the DIMMs and the only DIMM that would not allow a boot and cause the D0 was C1. I could put ram into C2 and it would be recongized but not usable. Therefore, I had only 49 gBs working.

I also realized that I needed ram that was on the QVL for 64 gbs and purchased this set instead : CMW64GX4M8Z2933C16

After reading forums I figured it may have been a bad board so i changed out the board and same issue; C1 would not allow a boot. I then thought maybe it was a bad memory controller so got a new CPU and when I put the new CPU in, C1 started to work, but A1 is now the issue.

Regardless if on the QVL or not, I can populate now C1, D1, and B1 with no issue, but as soon as anything goes into the A1, I get error O0.

I've reseated the CPU, checked bent pins, and even removed the orange sleeve that the CPU comes in for better contact. Oddly enough, for the new CPU, I had to remove it as it was giving me a 00 error with that on. I assume there was poor contact between the pins and CPU.

I have called ASUS support and I keep getting the same gentleman who puts me on hold and never comes back so I thought I'd try here. Is it my luck I got two CPUs, both with bad memory controllers?

Just a quick update: I've included the CPUz and About showing that I do have RAM in the A2 DIMM slot and it detects the ram but it is not usable. There is no Ram in DIMM A1 as it causes no post.

sKutDeath
Level 8
Canuck5252 wrote:
Hello all,

I am having the exact same problem! If I have a DIMM in C1, it will not post! I can even double up Channels D1 & D2, but put a stick in C1 and it won't post and gives the error Code: 0D. If I put one DIMM in C2 it fails to post with a error Code: 16.

Like I have written, the board works in single channel, dual channel and tri channel, so long as nothing is in C1. I also have a post on the AMD forum and I am getting the same comments as listed in this thread. But to no avail, it just doesn't post with DIMM C1 Populated. I have reseated the CPU some many times I am out of paste,(2 x tubes).

At a loss...

I got the same error until i checked and tightened the screws that hold the front and back plate from the cpu together:

Red: CPU / Socket Screws (If those screws are too loose, your system will do nothing)
Orange: CPU Fan Screws
Yellow: Front / Back Plane Screws (If those screws are too loose, there will be a gap between the frontplate and the mainboard when you tighten the CPU / FAN screws, resulting in tension that prevents the memory controller from recognizing all RAM modules.)