cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about PCIe configuration

DemonOfElru
Level 7
Forgive my ignorance if this has been asked previously, trying to understand if the board I have is faulty or I am doing something stupid (most likely the latter).

My current configuration:
- Mobo: ASUS ROG ZE
- CPU: AMD TR 1950x
- Mem: 32GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MHz (CL16)
- Graphics: 2 x Sapphire RX Vega 64
- Storage: 3 x Samsung 960 PRO 512GB NVMe (1 x under ROG shield/heatsink, 2 x in DIMM.2 raiser)
- Other: Elgato 4k60 in PCIEx4 (right above the PCIEX16_3)

When I installed Elgato it wasn't recognized in any of the slots other than the x4. When I say recognized I mean that it powers on (logo light comes on and seems to be powered, but Windows doesn't seen any new hardware). Once I installed it into x4 it was recognized and is functioning just fine. PCIEX16_1 and PCIEX16_3 are occupied by GPUs , PCIEX8_2 and PCIEX8/X4_4 are empty, PCIEX1 is empty, and PCIEX4 now has Elgato in it.

While doing this I recall trying to install Intel DC P2500 into PCIEX8_2 and PCIEX8/X4_4 and seeing the same behavior around October last year, so I thought mobo doesn't support it, but as I experienced the same behavior with Elgato it makes me think either I am not doing something or doing something wrong, or the board is defective and I should probably look into an RMA?

I can't shuffle GPUs around and unplug everything and move things around as the system is water cooled in dual loop configuration so GPUs are set in place. I'd have to drain the entire GPU loop and remove hard tubing to shuffle things around.

Can someone shed some light on this? If I have to RMA the board I'll probably replace it with a different manufacturer board and sell ZE as it's a hit and miss when things work and don't work. I can disable SATA, Audio, WiFi and some other onboard devices if the number of lanes is the problem (will test this later), just wondering if I am doing something wrong or if someone else experienced similar problem.

Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4

Ljugtomten
Level 9
DemonOfElru wrote:
Forgive my ignorance if this has been asked previously, trying to understand if the board I have is faulty or I am doing something stupid (most likely the latter).

My current configuration:
- Mobo: ASUS ROG ZE
- CPU: AMD TR 1950x
- Mem: 32GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MHz (CL16)
- Graphics: 2 x Sapphire RX Vega 64
- Storage: 3 x Samsung 960 PRO 512GB NVMe (1 x under ROG shield/heatsink, 2 x in DIMM.2 raiser)
- Other: Elgato 4k60 in PCIEx4 (right above the PCIEX16_3)

When I installed Elgato it wasn't recognized in any of the slots other than the x4. When I say recognized I mean that it powers on (logo light comes on and seems to be powered, but Windows doesn't seen any new hardware). Once I installed it into x4 it was recognized and is functioning just fine. PCIEX16_1 and PCIEX16_3 are occupied by GPUs , PCIEX8_2 and PCIEX8/X4_4 are empty, PCIEX1 is empty, and PCIEX4 now has Elgato in it.

While doing this I recall trying to install Intel DC P2500 into PCIEX8_2 and PCIEX8/X4_4 and seeing the same behavior around October last year, so I thought mobo doesn't support it, but as I experienced the same behavior with Elgato it makes me think either I am not doing something or doing something wrong, or the board is defective and I should probably look into an RMA?

I can't shuffle GPUs around and unplug everything and move things around as the system is water cooled in dual loop configuration so GPUs are set in place. I'd have to drain the entire GPU loop and remove hard tubing to shuffle things around.

Can someone shed some light on this? If I have to RMA the board I'll probably replace it with a different manufacturer board and sell ZE as it's a hit and miss when things work and don't work. I can disable SATA, Audio, WiFi and some other onboard devices if the number of lanes is the problem (will test this later), just wondering if I am doing something wrong or if someone else experienced similar problem.

Thanks!

It should work fine to use that slot.
I use the Areion 10G NIC in that slot, together with two graphic cards in the same slots as you.
Try to install the supplied NIC in that slot, if it works the problem is not the connector itself.

Ljugtomten wrote:
It should work fine to use that slot.
I use the Areion 10G NIC in that slot, together with two graphic cards in the same slots as you.
Try to install the supplied NIC in that slot, if it works the problem is not the connector itself.

Thanks. Yeah I was thinking the same thing, trying the 10G card that came with the mobo and see if Windows picks it up. I'll try that tonight when I get home just to confirm that slots are working.

Windows recognized Areion 10G adapter in both x8 slots so it may be something with Elgato hardware and compatibility. Thanks for the tip.

paulmarc
Level 7
I hope you are able to fix your issue, here.

Just wanted to point out to this:
DemonOfElru wrote:
if the number of lanes is the problem !

I don't think so, the board is quite rich, and it wouldn't struggle to work with the components you mentioned.
I'm running way more components (nearly full setup right here) and it's working fine.

Sometimes, it's the pins in the slot, some loose device.
I had this (Check this post) and reseating the VGA fixed my issue (was dealing with a VGA going 8x instead of 16x).