cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Struggles with Maximus X Hero (WI-FI AC)

Brautigan
Level 7
I am rapidly approaching my wits end with my new Maximus X Hero (wifi) motherboard. I replaced a 2500k and asus mobo with the Hero and 8700k. The system posted and booted up just fine from the get go. I installed the Intel chipset and tried to install other drivers from the included asus CD. I cannot get the following drivers to actually install:

Realtek audio
Intel Lan
Asus wi-fi
Asus Bluetooth

Consequently the pc has no internet access. I went to the asus website on an old laptop and tried downloading drivers directly from there to a usb drive. I tried to install them on the main system and no dice. For example, when I try installing the LAN driver from the asus website it seems to start ok but eventually i see a message stating there are no Intel adapters present in this computer. However I can see it (with a yellow triangle icon) in device manager.

Upon further research it seemed the issue might be an outdated bios... so I downloaded the 0505 bios from the asus website (to a fat32 formatted usb drive) and tried to flash the bios via the ezflash utility in the uefi. No luck. Further research led me to believe I needed to change the cap file name to m10h.cap or m10hwifi.cap. Neither worked.

Am I missing something or might I have a defective board?

I am using Windows 10 Home

Thank you
3 REPLIES 3

Brautigan
Level 7
In case it is helpful to anyone in the future, a second clean install of Windows did the trick.

Nate152
Hi Brautigan

Welcome to the ROG forum.

Rename the bios file to - M10H.CAP

You don't need to rename the bios file if using the EZ Flash 3 utility, you only need to rename it when using the bios flashback feature.

After reading your post reinstalling windows is what I would have done too. I let windows 10 install the necessary drivers then just update the graphics driver. If using an Nvidia gpu 388.13 is the latest.

Good to hear everything is working, now time to have some fun ?

If you have any questions about anything please ask or if you like, you can show us some performance results once you get her set up. 🙂

Thank you - I appreciate the warm welcome!