cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Maximus XII Hero wifi and two SSD M2

Enzo47
Level 7
I would like to equip my new PC with a ROG Maximus XII Hero wifi motherboard and two SSD M2 (Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1 TB, Crucial P1 1 TB).

Since there are three sockets on the motherboard, which of them should I insert the two SSD M2 into in order to avoid overheating issues?

Thanks in advance.
4 REPLIES 4

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Page 1-12 of the manual has all you need to know to make a decision...the info there is more pertinent to making a choice than temps....temps should not be an issue anywhere with adequate cooling

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Page 1-12 of the manual has all you need to know to make a decision...the info there is more pertinent to making a choice than temps....temps should not be an issue anywhere with adequate cooling

Maximus XII Hero and two SSD M.2

I would like to insert a SSD into slot M2_3 and another SSD into slot M2_1.

Is it mandatory to follow a specific plug-in sequence (for example, first M2_1 and then M2_3)

The OS is Windows 10?

Thanks in advance.

Saltgrass
Level 13
Enzo47 wrote:
I would like to equip my new PC with a ROG Maximus XII Hero wifi motherboard and two SSD M2 (Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1 TB, Crucial P1 1 TB).

Since there are three sockets on the motherboard, which of them should I insert the two SSD M2 into in order to avoid overheating issues?

The M.2 slots have heatsinks and thermal strips. I currently have a 2 TB 970 EVO Plus in the M.2_2 slot and it is showing 109 degrees F. A slot with no drive is showing 94 degrees F. The system is not currently being worked other than just playing music and internet activity..

When you install these drives, be very careful. On at least the M.2_2 slot, the heatsink screw uses the post for the M.2 drive tiedown. It can be hard to make sure the M.2 drive stays in place while mounting the heatsink. What I did was remove all the heatsink screws so I could see the tiedown posts. While placing the heatsink, I held the M.2 drive in place using a plastic tool to keep it from popping up and sliding or being pulled back out of the M.2 slot..

If you were to uninstall the drive, since the thermal strip sticks to the drive, the drive could be damaged if you just lift the heatsink off..

Edit: Oh, and it appears this boards have a setting in the Bios which is a little confusing. If you look at the Boot Section and Secure Boot, it will be set to Other OS instead Windows UEFI... Not sure why that is the case..
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40