cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ram compatibility

stevengirdham
Level 7
was thinking off getting a ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING and intel 10900k cpu was hoping too install 64 gig off ram was wondering will this ram be compatible .
Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3600 (PC4-28800) C18 1.35V .or would i be better off just fitting 32 gig off ram off a faster speed like this
Crucial Ballistix Elite BLE4K8G4D40BEEAK 4000 MHz, DDR4, DRAM, Desktop Gaming Memory Kit, 32 GB (8 GB x 4), CL18
3 REPLIES 3

MassExit
Level 7
Hey Steven,

I think this question might want to get moved by a mod to the PC Building section of the forum, but either way here's my thoughts on your question.
Also what is your intended use for this build? Gaming, editing, ect?

Both RAM kist will work as max board ram is 128GB. https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z490-E-GAMING/specifications/

I own this board and run 32GB in a 4x8GB configuration also.

If your building to game, the difference in FPS increase with either kits clock speeds is likely only a couple of frames if they were equal in total GB. From my experience when I overclocked my G.Skill PC3200 to 3600mhz I only noticed an increase of maybe 3-4 frames. I prefer to find my builds max frame rate for the game and then lock it in to that so frame times and such stay as constant as possible but that's another discussion on per game basis. Secondly, depending on what titles you play, at this point in time, your unlikely to benefit from increasing to 64GB if your intended use is gaming. In the games in play, the only time I came close to needing more RAM beyond 16GB was with Arizona Sunshine on Valve Index highest settings, it's the only reason I run 32GB in my gaming rig tbh, found it to be possible precursor to needing more in the future.

So if it were me it's going to come down to asking myself these questions-
What am I going to be doing on this PC or what is the largest load it will run?
Is cost a concern?
Is brand loyalty a concern?

P.S. Good luck on finding the i9-10900K. Been selling out in under 15 min everywhere.

Cheers,

-Mass

Thank you for your reply . i have pre orded the CPU for when stock comes back in fingers crossed . will have to think about which way i go with the Ram wats your thoughts abut the motherboard

Got motherboard today Asus Rog Strix Z490-e and BALLISIX ELITE 32gb 8GBX4 ddr 400udimm and Noctua NH-U12S CHROMAX BLACK with second fan for push pull
just waiting too get cpu 10900k has gone on backorder fingers crossed it comes soon