cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on Bios 2004 and XMP with rated 4266 ram in MB QVL 4 sticks

SK8
Level 10
So my system was stable on 602 bios and a manual OC on ram to get its rated speeds and like a goof I decided to update the bios to bios 2004 and did not know once I did I could not go back to my old bios as Asus thinks its to old. Yes its a old bios but it was stable on the manual OC someone helped me with. So my manual OC I had on bios 602 is a no go as I dont know enough on manual OC and whats safe for voltage etc . Now the first bit when I tried xmp one on my ram with bios 2004 it all booted up and no issues I ran my ram test all was good until I rebooted after a 12hr ram test on Karhu RamTest and landed in BSOD land after a reboot. Turned my windows was not stable I suspect maybe I'm wrong. Now I have windows stable before I go back into bios does this bios support 4266 rated ram on XMP 1 or 2 if at all and yes this ram is in the QVL for the MB. I just don't want to muck everything up again as its been just over a week already mucking about with windows and bios.

So have they sorted it out on Bios 2004 for 4 sticks of ram to go on XMP at 4266MHz? Before I clued in my windows was maybe a issue I had better luck on XMP 1 then XMP 2. Bottom line I just want to get my ram back up to its rated speeds like I had it at. Lesson learned never update bios unless you have a problem lol.

PC specs...

CPU - Intel I9 - 9900K Processor
CPU Cooler - Hydro Series H150i Pro RGB 360mm Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard - ROG Maximus XI Extreme
RAM - DDR4 G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4266Mhz 32GB
Video Card - ROG Strix OC 2080Ti OC
Case- Corsair 780T
Power Supply - Corsair HX 1200i
SSD's - Samsung 860 evo X3 1-500GB 2-1TB
Fans - Corsair ML140 Pro 140mm
Command Pro- 1

Win 10 Enterprise 64bit

What I had for manual OC on bios 602...

Bios 602
passed 8hr test on Karhu RamTest
Set to Manual OC
Dram Frequency 4266MHz
Dram voltage 1.45v
CPU VCCIO Voltage 1.25v
CPU System Agent Voltage 1.29v
Dram timing control 17-18-18-38
Mode1
Dram command rate set to 2N set dram current capability to 130%
Bios 602 and did a bios update doh
Set to Manual OC
Dram Frequency 4266MHz
Dram voltage 1.45v
CPU VCCIO Voltage 1.25v
Mode1
17 REPLIES 17

Nate152
Hi SK8,

Your memory kit is rated for 1.45v which you have the Dram voltage set to.

Intel recommends a maximum of 1.50v for the Dram voltage so you can safely try up to that.

For 4266MHz, you may get better results setting your ram manually rather than using X.M.P.

Try Tweak mode 2.

Tweak mode 1 helps with compatibility
Tweak mode 2 helps with overclocking

Nate152 wrote:
Hi SK8,

Your memory kit is rated for 1.45v which you have the Dram voltage set to.

Intel recommends a maximum of 1.50v for the Dram voltage so you can safely try up to that.

For 4266MHz, you may get better results setting your ram manually rather than using X.M.P.

Try Tweak mode 2.

Tweak mode 1 helps with compatibility
Tweak mode 2 helps with overclocking

Thank you for your time and the post back I will have a look at it.
Set to Manual OC
Dram Frequency 4266MHz
Dram voltage 1.45v
CPU VCCIO Voltage 1.25v
Mode1

Nate152
You're welcome,

When you change the voltages in the bios, they should change color, purple is ok, red is the danger zone.

If you're almost stable, Tweak mode 2 might get you there.

If it's still not fully stable....

The VCCIO voltage is for the memory controller on the cpu, you can safely take this up to 1.30v - 1.35v.

Maybe try a combination of

Dram voltage - 1.48v
CPU VCCIO voltage - 1.28v
CPU System Agent voltage looks good with - 1.29v

SK8
Level 10
OK Thank you Nate152, I have not gone into bios yet as I made a system image of windows so I don't lose a stable windows install lol its happened in years past and last week so trying to cover it all before I start again tomorrow . My husband keeps saying its not even your main rig to game on leave it on 2133MHz who cares its your VR PC now, umm I care lol. One thing this build made me learn in 2019 forget the 4 sticks of ram with high speeds its not worth the grief only buy 2 stick kit and never ever will I buy gskill again first and last time with that build. So on my new rig / build I went back to corsair ram and got CORSAIR DOMINATOR 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR5 5600 and xmp works with zero issues. My new build is killer and all started due to me getting the Samsung 55� Odyssey Ark 4K UHD 165Hz 1ms Quantum Mini-LED Curved Gaming Screen on sale at xmass lol. I love that screen but it needed a new build to bring out its full glory lol.
Set to Manual OC
Dram Frequency 4266MHz
Dram voltage 1.45v
CPU VCCIO Voltage 1.25v
Mode1

Nate152
Whoa, yeah that is a nice gaming set up for sure you have there.

You're running 32GB 4266MHz cl 17, that is fast. With that, I wouldn't expect X.M.P. to work straight out of the box. The further you stray from 2133MHz and the more capacity you add, the more strain it puts on the cpu's memory controller, this is where I think your instability is. Some slight voltage adjustments and you should have it.

For just gaming, 32GB is more than enough, 16GB (2x8GB) is enough and is what I use (see my specs), 16GB will give you the best chance at hitting the highest speeds.

For a work computer it's pretty much the opposite, higher capacity with lower frequency to ensure stability.

Give us an update at anytime.

Nate152 wrote:
Whoa, yeah that is a nice gaming set up for sure you have there.

You're running 32GB 4266MHz cl 17, that is fast. With that, I wouldn't expect X.M.P. to work straight out of the box. The further you stray from 2133MHz and the more capacity you add, the more strain it puts on the cpu's memory controller, this is where I think your instability is. Some slight voltage adjustments and you should have it.

For just gaming, 32GB is more than enough, 16GB (2x8GB) is enough and is what I use (see my specs), 16GB will give you the best chance at hitting the highest speeds.

For a work computer it's pretty much the opposite, higher capacity with lower frequency to ensure stability.

Give us an update at anytime.

Will do and yes if I pulled out two sticks it would work on XMP but that ram was expensive four years ago and I just cant so I need to start over with a manual OC and this page is bookmarked.
Set to Manual OC
Dram Frequency 4266MHz
Dram voltage 1.45v
CPU VCCIO Voltage 1.25v
Mode1

Nate152
I understand, when you pay for something you want to use it.

Instead of raising voltages, another way to achieve stability is loosen the first primary timing to 18 or try one step lower with the Dram frequency.

But if you're like me, and I think you are, I'd raise the voltages a little to reach the advertised specs.

Setting your ram manually is easy and is how I'd do it, if you'd like a step by step just say so.

SK8
Level 10
I just turned on the PC again and came back to take notes what you suggest for settings in a manual OC as I am going into bios to try so it can run a ram test all night. So fingers crossed. if it fails maybe then I will ask for a step by step for settings but I should be ok as I have every setting from the one that worked on the old bios 602. I will save my bios before I start as well in case it all goes to pot as its a pain to reset it all or I'm just lazy lol.
Set to Manual OC
Dram Frequency 4266MHz
Dram voltage 1.45v
CPU VCCIO Voltage 1.25v
Mode1

Nate152
Writing the settings down is good or if you can remember them.

To set your ram manually, you'll want to reset the bios to defaults (F5 key).

Then on the Extreme Tweaker page set:

Dram Frequency - 4266MHz
Dram voltage - 1.48v
CPU VCCIO voltage - 1.28v
CPU System Agent voltage - 1.29v

Dram Timing Control:

The primary timings may show only three timings as the middle two are tied together, so you'd enter the primary timings:

Command Rate 2N

Maximus Tweak mode 2

And that's it, F10 and Enter to save and exit.

Pretty easy for setting it manually?