cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus XI Hero: strange input device issue after BIOS update - please help!

6kbyte
Level 7
Hi,

My System:
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO Z390
Intel 9900k (stock clocks, undervolted)
G.Skill Trident 3600MHz CL15 DDR4 RAM (2x 8GB, XMP 1, 1.365v)

I came from BIOS v1005 where everything was okay before (system was 5 months old). After upgrading to v1105 i noticed that die BIOS didnt updated my Intel ME Firmware as expected so i did it manually. A few days (less then a week) the system seemed to be stable with no problems but then i got a unwanted system reboot (without bsod) - after that i start noticed some very strange issues with my mouse! While i was at windows/idle or while gaming (different games), randomly my mouse input stuck for few milliseconds. Mostly it happens multiple times per day, less or more frequently/regulary. iam not sure but i suspect it depended on ram/vram writings even i was unable to repruduce the issue - the only thing i noticed is that it seems to come more often when iam fast moving or changing graphics settings while gaming. In case that a few days after the bios update everything was fine and i didnt changed anything (no windows updates either) i searched the cause for my mouse issues in something else then the new bios. I tried everything:

- another mouse
- another usb port
- another keyboard
- reinstalled mouse driver/software
- reinstalled chipset driver
- reinstalled gpu driver
- reinstalled sound driver
- reinstalled nvme driver
- deactivated onboard sound
- plugged out all other usb devices and ssd´s
- testet another ssd
- testet another gpu
- checked windows updates
- checked windows energy saver settings
- checked BIOS settings
- checked temperatures
- resetted BIOS
- flashed BIOS back to v1005
- checked windows background tasks and services
- checked cpu workload
- set cpu, gpu, ram @default
- testet other voltages (ram/cpu/gpu)
- deactivated cpu c-states
- and... finaly... reinstalled the whole system

...the funny thing is, during the windows 10 setup-process, the the mouse stucked sometimes too. The troubleshooting wasted a lot of time and now iam out of ideas.

Do you have any ideas? Please help!
6 REPLIES 6

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
I am al ready aware. still unknown. No idea if these is a windows issue or bios issue.

the mouse is a peak on cpu. You can test these, aside these, or not. open a youtube video. if you have 2 screen is better.

then open task manager on process. and press CPU so the top process is visiable and then open notificacion bar and see what is what.There also some ither issues like usb disconect and odd restart. etc. I am not sure why.

I roll back to 1005 and seams better. Here you will see if you add the 5ghz oc, they drop even to 46. no idea why. I am using also 3600mhz c18 memory since i did the MeUpdate i can not roll back o a older bios. is not good. so i will live with it. As far is my understanding, is windows and intel Not the board. now not sure why you have these issue. but you can check with a friend the PSU. sound odd, but try I detect my PSU is getting weird issues. like on sata, my leds (power with sata) dim. not sure how to explain, like running out of energy. anyhow. check that first.

Is just a idea.
Learn, Play Enjoy!

MrAgapiGC wrote:
I am al ready aware. still unknown. No idea if these is a windows issue or bios issue.

the mouse is a peak on cpu. You can test these, aside these, or not. open a youtube video. if you have 2 screen is better.

then open task manager on process. and press CPU so the top process is visiable and then open notificacion bar and see what is what.There also some ither issues like usb disconect and odd restart. etc. I am not sure why.

I roll back to 1005 and seams better. Here you will see if you add the 5ghz oc, they drop even to 46. no idea why. I am using also 3600mhz c18 memory since i did the MeUpdate i can not roll back o a older bios. is not good. so i will live with it. As far is my understanding, is windows and intel Not the board. now not sure why you have these issue. but you can check with a friend the PSU. sound odd, but try I detect my PSU is getting weird issues. like on sata, my leds (power with sata) dim. not sure how to explain, like running out of energy. anyhow. check that first.

Is just a idea.

Thx for your answer. I was on vacation the last 5 days - before I drove, I disconnected the computer from the power supply. When I came back today, I switched the power on again and booted up the pc - during the first 20 minutes my mouse stucked every few seconds (windows and ingame). After some time it became a little less. I have just ordered a new power supply today (be quiet dark power pro 11 750w) and i will report as soon as i installed it. i still suspect it has something to do with the bios/ram/vram, though.

6kbyte
Level 7
Okay, just for your information - it was not the PSU 😞 . It worked for 1 day and now the problem is back. Iam out of ideas now... maybe just a faulty mainboard or bios?!?

Edit: testet another ram today too... nothing changed.

pkincy
Level 8
I hate intermittents. I would much rather something just quit. It appears you have painstakenly taken the computer apart, redone all the drivers and started it with a minimum system and added each peripheral back in to see what works. Make sure you have done that exceedingly well as any step you miss is likely the one with the problem.

I had a very similar problem. Replaced memory, went to one NVME OS drive, then tried another, one stick of memory, then a different stick, then 2 sticks, then in different slots, used iGPU only and removed GPU, new larger PSU after testing PSU.. Then I got drastic and changed motherboards (went from a Hero back to a Strix) and it worked for a day. Then the same thing happened with the mouse. Decided to rma the second mobo. Got a new RMA and was ready to send it and the GPU both off for an RMA. That night I got to thinking.......the only thing I hadn't done was change the case. So rather than ship things off, I went and bought another Fractal Design R6. Reinstalled the system in the new case and Voila! everything worked. Sounds silly but true. The only thing I can think of is that somehow the fan pwm on the back of the case got a short in it and started generating the intermittent problems. So don't quit until you have tried absolutely everything, because the last thing you check will be the solution to your problem.

pkincy wrote:
I hate intermittents. I would much rather something just quit. It appears you have painstakenly taken the computer apart, redone all the drivers and started it with a minimum system and added each peripheral back in to see what works. Make sure you have done that exceedingly well as any step you miss is likely the one with the problem.

I had a very similar problem. Replaced memory, went to one NVME OS drive, then tried another, one stick of memory, then a different stick, then 2 sticks, then in different slots, used iGPU only and removed GPU, new larger PSU after testing PSU.. Then I got drastic and changed motherboards (went from a Hero back to a Strix) and it worked for a day. Then the same thing happened with the mouse. Decided to rma the second mobo. Got a new RMA and was ready to send it and the GPU both off for an RMA. That night I got to thinking.......the only thing I hadn't done was change the case. So rather than ship things off, I went and bought another Fractal Design R6. Reinstalled the system in the new case and Voila! everything worked. Sounds silly but true. The only thing I can think of is that somehow the fan pwm on the back of the case got a short in it and started generating the intermittent problems. So don't quit until you have tried absolutely everything, because the last thing you check will be the solution to your problem.

It was the case? Btw i have a Define R6 too but iam using it without the embedded pwm controller, the fans are directly connected to the motherboard... hmm...

6kbyte
Level 7
Just for your information - problem still exist. Iam so pi**ed! Hopefully a new BIOS/INTEL ME FE will fix this problem. If not, iam going to buy another mainboard (not asus).