cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum Hero X core voltages are insane?!!?

el_terrible
Level 8
Hey,

So I finally got a hold of an 8700K and really wanted to wait for the Formula to release, but I can't even find a date for the relase of it in Norway so I decided to go for a Hero X, I had the Hero VII in my previous build and was happy with it so why not..

But straight out of the box I started getting really really high temps while just playing games (80-90 celcius) and even high 60's-70's just in windows watchin youtube and at first I thought it was my new Noctua cooler that was faulty so I even RMA'd it and got a Corsair H100i v2, not even thinking about core voltages (I know it was dumb).. but then I got the same friggin bad temps with the H100i..... then I almost RMA'd my 8700K, but THEN I found out my Hero was pumping 1.412 V into my CPU by DEFAULT....... this is with the 0505 Bios (newest)... like what the hell Asus. I could probably run like way over 5GHz with that kind of voltage, something I'm not even interested in doing with my current setup.
Prime95 goes to 100 degrees in less than 10 minutes.. Assassins Creed Origins crashes after 10-30 minutes.. And my ambient temp is only 22 degrees at the moment (Winter in Norway).. Setting my voltage to 1.200 seems to have fixed everything, but still I am spending hours on this.. I usually don't really bother changing too much in the BIOS, because I trust the ROG team with this stuff and I don't want to break anything myself.. Why would they even do this?!?!? I usually love your stuff and have used Maximus motherboards for my last 4 builds now...

Sorry about the rant, but yeah......
61 REPLIES 61

el_terrible
Level 8
ok, so the 0802 update that I found in this very forum seems to have fixed it... You should get that uploaded on the main ASUS site ASAP so people don't have to experience what I did.

el_terrible
Level 8
Haha the new bios actually downclocks my CPU to 4.3Ghz that's why I now get such good temps.... god damn it

el terrible wrote:
Haha the new bios actually downclocks my CPU to 4.3Ghz that's why I now get such good temps.... god damn it

Base frequency of these CPUs is 3.7GHz. We've relaxed the rules to lower the voltages. If your cooling is up to the task, you are free to overclock the CPU as desired.

Also had to remove an expletive from your opening post. Please keep those out of your posts, even if it is a rant.

marcopai
Level 7
yeah same thing happened to me lol my cpu hitted 100 c° Lol
setting the LLC 5 or 6 and AC/DC load line to 0.01 it fixed the high voltages for me , but still if i use adaptive mode my voltages are a little higher than normal so i'm using manual voltage
i have this: bla bla bla rog this rog that heh

marcopai wrote:
yeah same thing happened to me lol my cpu hitted 100 c° Lol
setting the LLC 5 or 6 and AC/DC load line to 0.01 it fixed the high voltages for me , but still if i use adaptive mode my voltages are a little higher than normal so i'm using manual voltage

For Adaptive, you can try setting SVID Behaviour to best case, also.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
For Adaptive, you can try setting SVID Behaviour to best case, also.

yes raja i tried that too 😄 forgot to mention that!
i have this: bla bla bla rog this rog that heh

Is or will there be a comprehensive changelog for the 0802 BIOS for the Hero? I have downloaded and installed it, and I think there are a handful of new options, mostly in the Training Algorithms page. The only 0802 changelog I can find is for the Apex (Improved system stability) I think is the only entry?, That's about as informative as the write-up for a Nintendo system firmware update. 😛

Raja
Level 13
Main changes I know of were the SVID/LLC rules being changed. The training stuff is for advanced tweaking only, and not something the average Joe needs to concern themselves with.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Main changes I know of were the SVID/LLC rules being changed. The training stuff is for advanced tweaking only, and not something the average Joe needs to concern themselves with.

Can we flash back to 0505? I’m having problems finding the sweet spot for LLC now that it was changed. I’m running all manual volts. MCE disabled and XMP enable. Previously my 8700k ran 5000Mhz at 1.28v with LLC6 and it never drooped. Voltage was always a constant 1.28v and she was stable as can be. Now with same LLC and voltage I’m getting vdroop to 1.264v and it’s causing instability in real bench benchmark but I’m stable in realbench stress testing. *I still need to do some gaming to test.

If I set the voltage to 1.285v and LLC6 I’m overvolting to 1.296v now. And if I set 1.29v with LLC5, I vdroop all the way to 1.248v at times. *1.28v with LLC7 overvolts to 1.296 too. 1.275v with LLC7 gives a range of 1.264 to 1.296 depending on load. This is frustrating. I know my chip does not need 1.296v to be stable. Any suggestions?