cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to get a m.2 drive, but concerned about pcie-lanes

PetroVitallini
Level 7
Hello,

I've been searching for a while on the net, but couldn't find the answer to my situation.
I have a z370 maximus hero x wifi with an 8700k and a 1080ti installed. I want to get an m.2 drive, but currently I have installed a usb expansion card with 4 seperate ubs-controllers on the pcie x4_3 slot. I also have two 2.5 ssd installed. I'm wondering if there will be any issues or limitations if I install an m.2 drive on my motherboard? I'm running out of space so a new drive is needed.

I would idealy keep both my 2.5 drives, but if there is some better way to configure this by removing one (one is quite old and small so not the biggest loss). I need the usb expansion card though (alot of periperals because of simulators and stuff).

If someone could help me out, I would appreciate it.

Petro
5 REPLIES 5

edrickjk
Level 7
You will be fine, the m.2 lane are tie to the chipset. If you set it at 4x sata 5 and 5 will be disable the the 4 other port will still work. If you dont mind me asking why the usb controler card ?

PetroVitallini
Level 7
Hello and thank you for answering my question. I needed the usb-card because I have a joystick, a throttle, vr headset, motion rig, pedals and wheel among other things. It was getting quite cramped.

I don't quite understand this sentence though: 4x data 5 and 5 will be disabled. Care to do a eli5 or point me to a resource I can read?

edrickjk
Level 7
Page 3-19 of your motheboard user manual,

Sata is the interface of your 2.5 hd,you have a total of 6 port ,enabling your m.2, at 4x will disable port 5 and 6.

You have 2 m.2 port both support nvme, take the opportunity to move your os on 1 .

Just as a suggestion im using complete hotas system as well and ended up using a usb c 3.1 hub

https://www.amazon.ca/AmazonBasics-USB-C-10-Port-Power-Adapter/dp/B076YFNTRR/ref=sr_1_13?keywords=us...

PetroVitallini
Level 7
Thank you again!

I have two 4 usb expansion hubs connected. Just now they are not fully in use, got 3 free slots. My simrig is a collection of different motion equipment and also gear sticks, separate pedals and soforth. The reason I bought an extension card was to avoid any saturation of the usb controllers. I got my vr headset, motion rig to the expansion card. Now how realistic is it that I would saturate my usb controllers? Probably not much, but the card had a good price so I thought, why not.

Do people use nvme drives just for their is or is it ok as a general use drive? Wondering if I should buy a 500gb or 1 GB nvme.

edrickjk
Level 7
I always say to buy the highest capacity you can within your budget . You can use them for everything as long a decent quality one, its great for the os since it reduce boot time . Great for video editing because of the higher transfer rate. Faster loading time in game and the m.2 form factor just make it even more worth it.