cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Formula X- W Pump+ Header for D5 pump, custom loop?

MoonFrost
Level 7
Ive heard that it used to be mandatory to plug a fan into the CPU FAN header in order for the system to boot, is this still true with modern motherboards?

Im in the process of installing all my watercooling parts, and noticed my Formula X has quite a few different options when it comes to plugging in fans/pumps

I see the CPU FAN, CPU_OP, AIO PUMP, Case fans, W Pump+, H Amp.

Idealy I would like to plug in my D5 pump to the W Pump+ (ill be watercooling my motherboard, cpu and gpu) All 6 fans are connected to the Corsair Commander Pro and the Hub for RGB, Do i still have to somehow plug something into the cpu fan header? Or is there something I can turn off in the bios to disable that safety feature of letting me know theres no cpu fan?

Sorry, first time watercooling, not sure where to plug stuff in.
5 REPLIES 5

Nate152
Hi MoonFrost

You don't have to connect to the cpu fan header but if you don't you will get a cpu fan error, in the bios on the monitoring tab set the cpu fan to ignore.

I would connect the D5 pump to the psu via molex as the W_Pump header is for ALL In One cpu coolers.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi MoonFrost

You don't have to connect to the cpu fan header but if you don't you will get a cpu fan error, in the bios on the monitoring tab set the cpu fan to ignore.

I would connect the D5 pump to the psu via molex as the W_Pump header is for ALL In One cpu coolers.

Hey, thanks for the reply and info. That was the other thing I was curious about, since the ek pump didn't come with instructions in how to power it. I was under the assumption I had to plug in both connectors.

Menthol
Level 14
Is your D5 the PWN model?
The D5 needs connected to via Molex as Nate says to power the pump, that is a must, the other wire that connects to a fan header is to control the pump speed and read the RPM, you can connect it to any fan header but may as well be the CPU header, this not only gives you control but also a warning if pump is non functional

Menthol wrote:
Is your D5 the PWN model?
The D5 needs connected to via Molex as Nate says to power the pump, that is a must, the other wire that connects to a fan header is to control the pump speed and read the RPM, you can connect it to any fan header but may as well be the CPU header, this not only gives you control but also a warning if pump is non functional

It is a pwm. (ek-xres 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM) thanks for the help guys. I'm overthinking everything at this point.

Edit: editing this for future readers who may come accross this same question. This pump only has 2 wires on the 4 pin PWM connector, and those 2 are for the control and sensor for pump speed. the other 2 for power are not there.

Bogartz
Level 7
Resurrecting an old thread, but I believe the EK-Xres 140s have 2 connections a PWM and RBG so if you were going to connect to Molex or SATA you would need a 4pin to Molex/SATA cable.