cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3080TI FE on Maximus XI Extreme will not turn monitor on until Windows Log-in Screen

Jesseinsf
Level 10
I just purchased a brand new 3080TI FE from Best Buy. This card works VERY well when logged into Windows 11. The issue is the monitor will not turn on until the Windows sign-in screen. This happens only when I restart my computer. Why is this a problem? It's a problem because I cannot access the system UEFI firmware (BIOS) after restarting my PC. If I want to access the BIOS, then I have to choose the shutdown option in Windows and then turn my PC back on to see the post screen and enter the BIOS. This happens with both DisplayPort and HDMI.

Things that I've tried:

- Used the DisplayID VBIOS update tool from Nvidia. The tool stated that my VBIOS was already up to date.
- I pushed the motherboard BIOS reset button and pulled the BIOS battery out for 10-minutes (yes, the PSU power card was also unplugged). No success.
- I reflashed the motherboard BIOS (No success)
- Reseated the graphics card (No success)
- Tried another PCIe slot (no success)
- Installed the 3080 TI on two other computers (Z370 and z590). (Everything works on those platforms)
- Made sure that the primary display setting in system BIOS did not keep changing back to "CPU Graphics". It stayed on PCIe.
15 REPLIES 15

zaza7
Level 7
Jesseinsf wrote:
I just purchased a brand new 3080TI FE from Best Buy. This card works VERY well when logged into Windows 11. The issue is that I cannot access the system UEFI firmware (BIOS) because the the monitor will not turn on until the Windows sign-in screen loads. This happens with both DisplayPort and HDMI. I have already tried installing the DisplayID VBIOS update, however, it said that I already have the latest VBIOS installed. Also, PCIe is chosen for display in the system UEFI firmware.

Now if I want to get into the system UEFI firmware (BIOS) then I have to power cycle the PSU and then turn on the PC. It is then that I can see the post screen and access the UEFI firmware (BIOS).

Hi, Go to the Bios -> Boot -> Boot/CSM (Compatibility Support Module) and Disable... or Enable xD don't remember, just change the one you have selected.
Had the same problem, it's the DisplayPort, should work with HDMI cable.(check if the monitor auto changed to hdmi port, might have to do do it yourself)
If not, just connect the monitor to the onboard gpu and enter the BIOS to make the change.
^

zaza7 wrote:
Hi, Go to the Bios -> Boot -> Boot/CSM (Compatibility Support Module) and Disable... or Enable xD don't remember, just change the one you have selected.
Had the same problem, it's the DisplayPort, should work with HDMI cable.(check if the monitor auto changed to hdmi port, might have to do do it yourself)
If not, just connect the monitor to the onboard gpu and enter the BIOS to make the change.
^

Thanks for your reply. However, as a desktop support technician, I am aware of all those settings. I normally do not seek help unless I am completely stumped. Now, as you noticed in my original post, I am using Windows 11 which will not work in legacy mode (CSM) unless some magical hackery has been made. CSM is out of the equation here. A few things I did not say was that this issue happens on HDMI and DisplayPort (And no, the monitor stays on the PCIe choice), it's not like the Jayztwocents video back in April of this year where the Primary display would change back to iGPU. The difference between Jayz issue and my issue is that my monitor turns on at the Windows log-in screen. I just cannot access system BIOS unless I cycle the PSU power and turn on the PC. Also, Fast startup in BIOS and Windows fast startup were and are always disabled. Resetting the BIOS doesn't help either. It is then that I see the post screen where I can then access the system BIOS. When in Windows, this card works Very Well. Also, above the BIOS status digital display there are 4 lights:

• Red =CPU check
  • Yellow = RAM check
  • Green = GPU check
  • White = All past and BIOS is ready to post
  • No light = Everything checked out and all is handed off to Windows or other OS

HDMI: goes through the above steps and end with the light in the off position but my issue still exists
DisplayPort: It goes through the same order but the white light stays on in the end. However I get the same issue where the monitor will turn on at the Windows Sign-in screen

So, in summery:

• CSM was already off
  • Fast Boot is always off in BIOS and I disable hibernation in Windows which disables all other hibernation based features which includes Windows fast startup.
  • Secure Boot was already on
  • The primary display in BIOS stayed on the PCIe choice and did not change
  • My monitor only turns on at the Windows log-on screen
  • I need to cycle the PSU power to get to System BIOS
  • The card functions very well when logged into Windows

zaza7 wrote:
^

I just tried everything you said and unfortunately it didn't work. Also, DisplayPort works better as with HDMI I literally have to cycle the power on the power supply to be able to see a post and access the system BIOS. With DisplayPort, all I need to do is choose "Shutdown" within Windows and then power up the PC to be able to see a post and access the system BIOS.

I had a similar problem. Computer will boot with DisplayPort, but not with HDMI. Tried DP to HDMI cable but still didn't work. Just now, got working with CSM enabled and everything manually set to UEFI as documented here:

https://hardforum.com/threads/pc-wont-boot-with-rtx-3080ti-and-hdmi-to-tv.2019052/

I have an Asus CH7 Dark Hero with BIOS 3904 (as 4201 was having both strange issues with ARGB and Clonezilla with drive identification; rolled back and was fine), and Strix 3080 OC 12GB.

Hope this continues to work...

ckong3309 wrote:
I had a similar problem. Computer will boot with DisplayPort, but not with HDMI. Tried DP to HDMI cable but still didn't work. Just now, got working with CSM enabled and everything manually set to UEFI as documented here:

https://hardforum.com/threads/pc-wont-boot-with-rtx-3080ti-and-hdmi-to-tv.2019052/

I have an Asus CH7 Dark Hero with BIOS 3904 (as 4201 was having both strange issues with ARGB and Clonezilla with drive identification; rolled back and was fine), and Strix 3080 OC 12GB.

Hope this continues to work...

Resizable BAR doesn't work when CSM is enabled (regardless if UEFI is chosen when CSM is enabled). Also, Windows 11 doesn't like CSM mode being enabled (regardless if UEFI is chosen when CSM is enabled).

Also, my issue is different. My PC boots, it's just my monitor will only turn on at the Windows account sign in page (which prevents me from accessing the system firmware/BIOS). This only happens during a system restart when using DP and is a toss of a coin when using HDMI. If I shut down my PC completely and then turn it back on, then all works great when using DP (HDMI will work intermittently when powering up from a complete shutdown).

Jesseinsf wrote:
Resizable BAR doesn't work when CSM is enabled (regardless if UEFI is chosen when CSM is enabled). Also, Windows 11 doesn't like CSM mode being enabled (regardless if UEFI is chosen when CSM is enabled).

Also, my issue is different. My PC boots, it's just my monitor will only turn on at the Windows account sign in page (which prevents me from accessing the system firmware/BIOS). This only happens during a system restart when using DP and is a toss of a coin when using HDMI. If I shut down my PC completely and then turn it back on, then all works great when using DP (HDMI will work intermittently when powering up from a complete shutdown).

Have you found a solution?
I am also with the same issue.
ASUS XG258q monitor with SUPRIM X 3080 ti.
Only difference is that HDMI works without any issue.

Displayport : screen starts and then only when it reaches windows sign in, it appears.

CSM change doesnt matter since resize bar will be disabled besides the win11 thing you were saying.

Not sure what to do.
People say flash my msi card with an asus or evga vbios that has a fix or even change the monitor.
I am not really looking to do that.

Someone else suggested a fake hdmi plug and put it on the card to "trick" it to think it's going with hdmi.

HDMI is the only way for me to reach bios.

Any options or alternatives?

diogogmaio wrote:
Have you found a solution?
I am also with the same issue.
ASUS XG258q monitor with SUPRIM X 3080 ti.
Only difference is that HDMI works without any issue.

Displayport : screen starts and then only when it reaches windows sign in, it appears.

CSM change doesnt matter since resize bar will be disabled besides the win11 thing you were saying.

Not sure what to do.
People say flash my msi card with an asus or evga vbios that has a fix or even change the monitor.
I am not really looking to do that.

Someone else suggested a fake hdmi plug and put it on the card to "trick" it to think it's going with hdmi.

HDMI is the only way for me to reach bios.

Any options or alternatives?

I have not as Arrogant Nvidia thinks that nothing is their problem. To them, the problem is some other companies' problem. I made up an illness for this: Corporate/Fanboy Clinical Narcissism.

no1yak
Level 8
@ Jesseinsf I had this issue with my Hero XI and a LG 43 Ultra display. I cured the problem by clearing the Bios and re-flashing. After I did that the monitor fires up as it should. In My case I couldn't even see the bios.

Warre1
Level 9