cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix Z270G BIOS stock voltage too high (temps)?

eknels
Level 7
Hello everyone and thanks for a good forum with good info!

I am posting because I am still a little unfamiliar with the Z270 UEFI Bios.
I have a 7700k running only Turbo up to to 4.5ghz, with this I use a H75 with dual fans push/pull, because i am running the CPU stock at the moment, I don't need OC coolers for my use at this point.
I have Corsair Venegance DDR4 manually OC:d to 3000mhz, without XMP enabled.

When i am in the main screen in bios, my voltage reading (the one next to the CPU temp) jumps rapidly between 1.120 to 1.136 but mostly sits at 1.136.
I get idle temps at 32c mimimun here, normally in Windows 10 64bit minimum it is 33-34c. It can peak up to 78c during normal game stress (e.g. X-Plane 11 Flight Simulator).
And with my old thermal paste it went up to 81c. My room temperature is 21c.

My question: Is 1.136 unnecessary amount of voltage on idle? This is the stock voltage without touching anything.
The strange thing is that using HWiNFO64 my Vcore shows minimum of 0.752v and highest is only 1.216v at 4.5ghz, BIOS is showing constant 1.136. Everything is running very stable, except for the temps being unnecessary high! taking to consideration this is not a stock cooler despite not being an OC cooler, it should run stock temperatures well.
One important fact is that I also ran the CPU without side panels and the radiator outside of the case with no notable differences except for a ~5c lower motherboard temperature., I did this because i run a mATX case and wanted to exclude case cooling problems.

Is there something to be done in BIOS to lower vcore for temperature, or do i have problems in some other areas causing heat?
I attached some HWiNFO64 pictures of my readings.

I would be very grateful if someone who knows, could provide me an answer, thank you very much! :cool:
4 REPLIES 4

Chino
Level 15
Stock voltage looks fine to me. What really strikes me as odd is the temperatures that you're seeing with a Corsair H75. You should verify the AIO liquid cooler and make sure it's working correctly.

Chino wrote:
Stock voltage looks fine to me. What really strikes me as odd is the temperatures that you're seeing with a Corsair H75. You should verify the AIO liquid cooler and make sure it's working correctly.

Thank you!
That's exactly what i thought. I'm not too experienced with voltages and this was my last option to see if there's something crucial going on in the BIOS that i didn't notice.
I know other H75 users have better temps.

I'm beginning to think i either have exceptionally bad TIM in the CPU or my H75 is faulty.
I use noctua NT-N1 thermal paste, I have also taken in to account the well known fact that some newer motherboards are thinner, resulting in the CPU backplate being loose with many Corsair AIO coolers, this has resulted in the heatsink not being tight enough and giving bad CPU temoeratures for many users. This i have fixed fixed with plastic washers.
Everything else like W/pump 100% etc are in order.

Maybe i just need a new AIO

Thanks for your help! 🙂

Chino
Level 15
The Noctua NT H1 paste is high quality stuff. I use it for all my builds.

You either have a defective unit or a problem with the installation. Maybe try taking your system out of the case and put it on the motherboard cardboard box as a test bed. 🙂

Chino wrote:
The Noctua NT H1 paste is high quality stuff. I use it for all my builds.

You either have a defective unit or a problem with the installation. Maybe try taking your system out of the case and put it on the motherboard cardboard box as a test bed. 🙂

I think I'll try to get a different cooler.

I have tried installing the pump block really tight with washers, finger tight, and also without washers. No difference in temps.

Thanks for your help. Atleast now i know the readings are correct and the problem is somewhere in the cooling.