cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q-Code Error Code B2?

dlerium
Level 7
Hi all,

Just finished building my system with my new Maximus IX Hero motherboard, and upon boot I'm seeing error code B2. My display is initiated and all I see is a "_" on the upper left corner. The sequence of 4 LEDs on my motherboards shows the boot LED in green.

Here are my specs:

- i7 7700k
- 32gb TridentZ DDR4 PC3200
- Define Fractal R5
- Samsung 850 Pro (carry-over from old rig)
- Sapphire Radeon 7850 (carry-over from old rig)
- Corsair HX850i (carry over from old rig... this was actually an RMA replacement I got in Dec 2016, so its nearly brand new)

I've tried a few things with troubleshooting:

• Reseated GPU, reseated RAM, tried different slots, currently using A_2, B_2.
  • RAM is known good because I tried it in another system too.
  • Checked ATX Plug and 8 pin CPU power plugs and they are tight.
  • Tried booting with no SSD/HDD connected.
  • Was able to boot fully into windows using IGPU, and then was able to get in with the 7850 at least once or twice, but after that I've not been able to get back in
  • Tried a different set of PCI Power cables to my power supply, also as a modular PSU it has multiple plugs for PCIE cables. I tried different ones to no avail.
  • Flashed to latest 0906 BIOS.

In reading more about error code "B2" and seeing that it refers to "Legacy Option ROM Initialization," I'm suspecting this is my GPU because the system only struggles booting with the Radeon 7850. With that said it's also suspicious I was at least able to get into Windows at least once or twice and then subsequent reboots would show "B2." Is this the motherboard being picky regarding legacy video cards and non UEFI BIOS support?

I know this is an old video card and the gaming I do is totally fine on it (Dota2). While I would love to upgrade to a GTX 1080, I'm trying not to spend any extra money if I don't have to. What should I try next? Should I try updating my video card BIOS? That would probably require me to stick it in some older system.

Edit: Added PSU into list of components.
10 REPLIES 10

Nate152
Hi dlerium

In the bios on the boot tab check that Launch CSM is enabled and in there should be something about legacy booting or support make sure that's enabled as well.

Let us know if this helps.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi dlerium

In the bios on the boot tab check that Launch CSM is enabled and in there should be something about legacy booting or support make sure that's enabled as well.

Let us know if this helps.

Yup it's enabled. I've read things about this board being very picky with old non-UEFI GPUs.

I'd love to upgrade, but it's annoying I'd have to shell out like $300 for a GPU when my current one works just fine 😞

Chino wrote:
Install a fresh copy of Windows. 🙂

I'm unable to POST even so Windows isn't the issue. Plus all drives were disconnected.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
The cursor flashing in top left is the PC looking for a boot device...

If you have carried OS drive over from an old rig you probably want to do a clean UEFI install of Windows as Chino has said...and things would probably get back to normal.

When installing windows only connect target drive...no other drives...windows can place boot info on another drive and lead to problems such as this too.....

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
The cursor flashing in top left is the PC looking for a boot device...

If you have carried OS drive over from an old rig you probably want to do a clean UEFI install of Windows as Chino has said...and things would probably get back to normal.

When installing windows only connect target drive...no other drives...windows can place boot info on another drive and lead to problems such as this too.....

Like I said, my system can't even POST even without my hard drives connected. I can't get into BIOS either. Windows is not the issue. Plus, I can boot into Windows with the IGPU, so my point is it's something about the 7850. Given B2 is regarding Legacy ROM support, it's likely a legacy BIOS issue, and I'm suspecting a graphics card with UEFI will solve it.

FuryA@ASUS wrote:
hi Arne,

The B2 usually means Legacy ROM has an error or Graphic card problem
Try to remove the Sapphire Radeon 7850 or switch the iGPU , Let us know if this helps.

Correct. With the Radeon removed it boots fine. I have no problem using the IGPU in Windows. The issue is this Radeon worked fine in my last computer and actually prior to switching to a Maximus IX Hero, I was using the 7850 on my Gigabyte Gaming K7 just fine.

Also I can boot using IGPU primary but having the 7850 hooked up as secondary. I tried flashing a new Sapphire BIOS but in the end I'm still stuck at "b2" when I try to use the 7850 as primary.

Unfortunately I have no newer graphics cards in the house and I doubt my 3x5830s from my Bitcoin mining days have UEFI support either.

Anyhow, I ended up swallowing the pill and pulling the trigger on a GTX 1060 today. Same day shipping via Amazon. Kinda annoyed because I was hoping to wait for the new 1060 9gbps or RX580 to release. But oh well.

FuryA
Level 8
hi Arne,

Try to remove the Sapphire Radeon 7850 or switch the iGPU , Let us know if this helps.

FuryA@ASUS wrote:
hi Arne,

OK, good to know

dlerium wrote:
pulling the trigger on a GTX 1060 today

That's one way to solve it 😄

Nate152
The gtx 1060 is on par with the gtx 980 and a touch faster in some games and the 980 is twice as fast as the 7850.

I don't think you'll regret your decision. 🙂