cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IX Hero & Z170-A Input Lag

0mirage
Level 7
Hey everyone! I've been trying to figure out what's causing input lag issues on my PC. I'm a competitive Overwatch player that's been just shy of the top500 because of this issue and its beginning to frustrate me. I originally had a Z170-A with a 6700k that had the input lag issues. So after a year of dealing with those issues I thought I might as well just build a new computer. So I built an IX Hero with a 7700k and a 1080ti. It took all but 2 days before the exact issues as the other computer were plaguing me.

To simplify here's exactly what symptoms I'm talking about:
- Input lag when playing Overwatch or any game. Basically feels like I'm dragging my mouse through mud, and when I click the action is significantly delayed. At least significant enough for me to notice. It's not a huge delay that anyone would notice, its more like just bad enough that a competitive player would notice.
- Extra screen tearing (more than normal)
- The problem goes away upon reboot occasionally then slowly comes back as the computer is running. Or upon restart the input lag is already there to begin with.

Now before a lot of you say to change out my graphics card I've tried another. A r9 390 and the exact issues came back up. Now from what I've heard these boards have had a lot of memory compatibility issues so my first though is that might be the problem but I've tried different kinds (corsair) that have had the issue persist. My only other working theory is it has something to do with the CPU. But at this point I'm not sure why two totally different computers (only similar thing is they both have Asus motherboards, and intel chips) would have the exact same problem. The only time the computer has 'fixed' is when I do a fresh install of windows. Then my games feel flawless. But only for the first day, then they're terrible again. I've disabled windows update as well to remove the possibility that its replacing drivers.

Here's the specs of the two computers:

"Old" Computer
OS: Windows 8.1 (tested with same results in windows 10)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A (Bios version: 3504)
CPU: Intel I7-6700K
CPU FAN: Noctua NH-D15
MEMORY: GSKILL Ripjaws V 32GB (2x16gb) 3200mhz
HDD: 850 Evo SSD
GPU: AMD R9 390 (yes its a little outdated)
PSU: 1000w (can't remember the brand of this but I can check if needed)
MONITOR: Asus PG279Q

"New" Computer
Motherboard: Asus Maximus IX Hero (Bios Version: 1009)
CPU: Intel I7-7700K
CPU FAN: Nzxt Kraken x61
MEMORY: GSKILL Trident Z 16gb (2x8gb) 3866mhz
HDD: 950 Pro M.2
GPU: EVGA FTW3 1080 ti
PSU: EVGA Platinum 1000w

Things I've tried:
- Removing all overclocking
- Disabled Hyper threading
- Disabled Speedstep
- Disabled Turbo Boost
- Disabled Fast Boot
- Reinstalled windows about 30 times at this point
- Tried windows 10 & 8.1 multiple times
- Tried windows 7 once with no success
- As a precaution to make sure it wasn't network related lag I changed my ISP to a more stable ISP. It was more to prove to people that the problem isn't internet related as that seems to be the easy 'cop out' for people to suggest. So yes it is input lag and not regular internet lag. I know the difference.
- Installed different GPU Drivers for my 1080 ti
- Installed a different AMD GPU; R9 390
- Put all power settings to performance mode including the GPU & Windows. The only performance based things I don't know whether I should touch are in the bios.
- There's a lot more that I've done but these are the ones that came to mind. *

Has anyone had issues similar to this? To be honest I'm debating on purchasing an 8700k with an X hero to see if that solves the problem, but I'm trying to figure out what's going on before I completely write-off both of these computers. I saw one reddit post that was talking about similar issues to mine but relating to CS:GO where they said the Intel chipset and ME drivers were at fault. So I'm trying to look into the issue with intel support as well as Asus support. But to be honest both of them are pretty slow going so I was hoping you guys might have some thoughts.

Also I was just wondering, should I be setting all my voltages manually? It crossed my mind that my voltages might be unstable despite being at factory settings. I'm new to trying to troubleshoot a motherboard's voltages so bare with me here.

*If you guys need more detail on my setup let me know.*
9 REPLIES 9

Monkburger
Level 7
0mirage wrote:
Hey everyone! I've been trying to figure out what's causing input lag issues on my PC. I'm a competitive Overwatch player that's been just shy of the top500 because of this issue and its beginning to frustrate me. I originally had a Z170-A with a 6700k that had the input lag issues. So after a year of dealing with those issues I thought I might as well just build a new computer. So I built an IX Hero with a 7700k and a 1080ti. It took all but 2 days before the exact issues as the other computer were plaguing me.

To simplify here's exactly what symptoms I'm talking about:
- Input lag when playing Overwatch or any game. Basically feels like I'm dragging my mouse through mud, and when I click the action is significantly delayed. At least significant enough for me to notice. It's not a huge delay that anyone would notice, its more like just bad enough that a competitive player would notice.
- Extra screen tearing (more than normal)

Now before a lot of you say to change out my graphics card I've tried another. A r9 390 and the exact issues came back up. Now from what I've heard these boards have had a lot of memory compatibility issues so my first though is that might be the problem but I've tried different kinds (corsair) that have had the issue persist. My only other working theory is it has something to do with the CPU. But at this point I'm not sure why two totally different computers (only similar thing is they both have Asus motherboards, and intel chips) would have the exact same problem. The only time the computer has 'fixed' is when I do a fresh install of windows. Then my games feel flawless. But only for the first day, then they're terrible again. I've disabled windows update as well to remove the possibility that its replacing drivers.

Here's the specs of the two computers:

"Old" Computer
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A (Bios version: 3504)
CPU: Intel I7-6700K
CPU FAN: Noctua NH-D15
MEMORY: GSKILL Ripjaws V 32GB (2x16gb) 3200mhz
HDD: 850 Evo SSD
GPU: AMD R9 390 (yes its a little outdated)
PSU: 1000w (can't remember the brand of this but I can check if needed)

*"New" Computer
Motherboard: Asus Maximus IX Hero (Bios Version: 1009)
CPU: Intel I7-7700K
CPU FAN: Nzxt Kraken x61
MEMORY: GSKILL Trident Z 16gb (2x8gb) 3866mhz
HDD: 950 Pro M.2
GPU: EVGA FTW3 1080 ti
PSU: EVGA Platinum 1000w

Things I've tried:
- Removing all overclocking
- Disabled Hyper threading
- Disabled Speedstep
- Disabled Turbo Boost
- Disabled Fast Boot
- Reinstalled windows about 30 times at this point
- Tried windows 10 & 8.1 multiple times
- Tried windows 7 once with no success
- As a precaution to make sure it wasn't network related lag I changed my ISP to a more stable ISP. It was more to prove to people that the problem isn't internet related as that seems to be the easy 'cop out' for people to suggest. So yes it is input lag and not regular internet lag. I know the difference.
- Installed different GPU Drivers for my 1080 ti
- Installed a different AMD GPU; R9 390
- Put all power settings to performance mode including the GPU & Windows. The only performance based things I don't know whether I should touch are in the bios.
*- There's a lot more that I've done but these are the ones that came to mind.

*Has anyone had issues similar to this? To be honest I'm debating on purchasing an 8700k with an X hero to see if that solves the problem, but I'm trying to figure out what's going on before I completely write-off both of these computers. I saw one reddit post that was talking about similar issues to mine but relating to CS:GO where they said the Intel chipset and ME drivers were at fault. So I'm trying to look into the issue with intel support as well as Asus support. But to be honest both of them are pretty slow going so I was hoping you guys might have some thoughts.

Also I was just wondering, should I be setting all my voltages manually? It crossed my mind that my voltages might be unstable despite being at factory settings. I'm new to trying to troubleshoot a motherboard's voltages so bare with me here.

*If you guys need more detail on my setup let me know.*

This honestly sounds like USB errata with high resolution devices.

Try making sure HPET is disabled in the BIOS - and useplatformclock is NOT enabled. (There are some boards that do not let you toggle the state of HPET in the bios)

Useplatformclock will cause the interrupt timers for things like devices to be driven by HPET

If useplatformclock / HPET /is/ disabled, then try enabling it to see if there's a change. If there is no change, then there's something else going on, such as out of control DPC latency from a driver on the system, which would probably need something like http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon to rule out a specific driver.

Monkburger wrote:
This honestly sounds like USB errata with high resolution devices.

Try making sure HPET is disabled in the BIOS - and useplatformclock is NOT enabled. (There are some boards that do not let you toggle the state of HPET in the bios)

Useplatformclock will cause the interrupt timers for things like devices to be driven by HPET

If useplatformclock / HPET /is/ disabled, then try enabling it to see if there's a change. If there is no change, then there's something else going on, such as out of control DPC latency from a driver on the system, which would probably need something like http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon to rule out a specific driver.

Do you know where HPET is in the BIOS? I don't think I've ever seen that option while poking around in there. I'll give that a shot in Windows in the meantime. I have actually checked out latencymon and mine has EXTREMELY low latency supposedly. The only issue I've seen is a lot of page faults sometimes its reporting 10,000+ in the bottom bar on the main page of latencymon. Do you know what causes page faults? That's always been the part that I haven't understood, as well as what page faults might be affecting. I'll take a screenshot of my latencymon stats when I get home in any case for you just to be sure I'm not missing anything.

@Itzycharles I honestly can't tell what the issue is anymore. I'm just hoping its something I can fix.

0mirage wrote:
Do you know where HPET is in the BIOS? I don't think I've ever seen that option while poking around in there. I'll give that a shot in Windows in the meantime. I have actually checked out latencymon and mine has EXTREMELY low latency supposedly. The only issue I've seen is a lot of page faults sometimes its reporting 10,000+ in the bottom bar on the main page of latencymon. Do you know what causes page faults? That's always been the part that I haven't understood, as well as what page faults might be affecting. I'll take a screenshot of my latencymon stats when I get home in any case for you just to be sure I'm not missing anything.

Not sure about your specific board - Do you have 'useplatformclock' enabled in the Windows bootflags?

Try this, though.

Hook up a USB pin drive to the same controller/port block as your mouse/keyboard and run some I/O tests (sustained ones) and see if you can notice any input lag from your mouse.

Monkburger wrote:
Not sure about your specific board - Do you have 'useplatformclock' enabled in the Windows bootflags?

Try this, though.

Hook up a USB pin drive to the same controller/port block as your mouse/keyboard and run some I/O tests (sustained ones) and see if you can notice any input lag from your mouse.

I double checked and 'useplatformclock' was disabled to begin with so I enabled it and disabled it to be sure.

Thanks Monkburger I'll try that out. Whatever the issue is its not a 'defect' per se but maybe both of my boards have some I/O issues. I'm looking into one other possibility which is my Asus monitor. Just to confirm faulty monitors can cause Input lag correct? This one is supposed to be a 1ms response time but I'm looking into it to make sure its not the reason. Though I would be ecstatic if it was, then I could just swap my monitor while I get that one replaced.

In any case I'll keep testing, appreciate there help so far guys.

Ran more testing and no luck at all. It wasn't the monitor, I tested it with another one I had elsewhere and the same symptoms came up. I'm still under the impression that the motherboard is at fault here. I really have no idea what to do at this point other than changing to a different company for motherboards, and test that to see if it fixes the issue.

Only problem right now is people are draining their stock of the 270 boards so its almost only worth it to explore three options:*

*1) New motherboard for my 270 (if I can actually find one)
*2) 370 board with an 8700k. Don't know if I'd risk sticking with Asus with that board though I don't know a comparable company to asus in terms of quality. Though the reviews I've heard for their premium 370 board were quite terrible.
*3) Completely go a different route and buy an AMD thread ripper and a motherboard for that.

Anyone have any recommendations? This computer is exclusively for gaming, and I'm really not sure what the safer bet is right now.*

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
i have the same issue of lag. My setup is 1 27 screenn 144hz 1ns and the other a 60hz 27. both 1080. imput lag is horror (the lag is on the 60hz panel). that appears on a mix stuff. from MS update and new drivers, from nvidia. I can tell that is not the Asus ME and chipset. since was working fine with those installs before all the intel .... issues
Learn, Play Enjoy!

Chino
Level 15

Yes I've tried it with XMP completely disabled. I actually am rebuilding my old computer to run some test and compare/contrast. Its the last computer I used with no input lag. So we'll see how that goes.

0mirage, Have you fixed your issues?