cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help updating HERO IX BIOS - First Timer

jakesno
Level 7
Current BIOS is v 0505 out of the box. I'd like to update to v0801 instead of v0906
I've used the system for 4 or 5 days and I've read that I need to disconnect hard drives or clear the CMOS or rename the update file and I'm confused as well as nervous because I've heard if it aint broke, don't fix it. However v0505 seems old within the current convention, and I'm having issues connecting my monitor via DP (HDMI2 is fine) as well as the system recognizing my Arctis 7 headset via the USB I/O ports.
I have downloaded every driver I can find as well as used windows update. GeForce Experience says I have the latest drivers as well.
I've read different things other than what's in the manual so I'd be grateful for a step by step guide.
Also there must be general "Best Bios" settings for headphones, DP high res displays. I'll worry about OC BIOS settings down the road.
XMP is set to auto and using mostly stock BIOS settings.
I have v0801 loaded on a flash drive. It's the only data on the drive. MAXIMUS-IX-HERO-ASUS-0801.CAP 16386KB

Specs:
HERO IX
i7-7700k
M.2 500GB Samsung
SATA 500GB SSD Pro
Kraken x52
Strix 1080Ato8
16GB RAM
750w EVGA3
ACER XR38

Thank you for your consideration!
9 REPLIES 9

ottoyu34
Level 9
You can install EZ Update utility which updates the BIOS in Windows environment.

Else you can use EZ Flash 3 in UEFI which can flash via a USB drive.

ottoyu34 wrote:
You can install EZ Update utility which updates the BIOS in Windows environment.

Else you can use EZ Flash 3 in UEFI which can flash via a USB drive.

The reason for the detailed post was for a call for step by step guidance to execute EZ Flash 3. However, thank you for responding.
Do I rename the file, disconnect drives or components, clear CMOS etc.

Nate152
Hi jakesno

Clear the cmos before flashing the bios, if using the bios flashback feature rename the bios file to M9H.CAP when using EZ Flash 3 you don't have to rename it.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi jakesno

Clear the cmos before flashing the bios, if using the bios flashback feature rename the bios file to M9H.CAP when using EZ Flash 3 you don't have to rename it.

Thanks Nate152
So I'll rename the file to M9H.CAP and reboot into Bios
navigate to EZ Flash 3
Push the "clear cmos" button for 3 seconds
I should still have a bios screen to follow the directions.

Question: Will I need to reinstall Windows10? Programs and Drivers etc?

Nate152
You don't have to rename the bios file when using EZ Flash 3, you only need to rename the bios file when using the bios flasback feature.

Go into the bios and hit F5 this will reset the bios to defaults then navigate to EZ Flash 3.

You should also be able to update the bios from the Asus data base, you can do this in the bios as well and doesn't require a usb flash drive, just make sure you're hard wired to the internet when using this.

No you won't have to reinstall windows or anything.

Let us know how it goes.

Nate152 wrote:
You don't have to rename the bios file when using EZ Flash 3, you only need to rename the bios file when using the bios flasback feature.

Go into the bios and hit F5 this will reset the bios to defaults then navigate to EZ Flash 3.

You should also be able to update the bios from the Asus data base, you can do this in the bios as well and doesn't require a usb flash drive, just make sure you're hard wired to the internet when using this.

No you won't have to reinstall windows or anything.

Let us know how it goes.

So first timer here also. I have not overclocked my system and was planning on using the EZ Flash 3 method from within the bios. I have my new bios on a thumb drive. Do I need to reset my CMOS if the system is not overclocked? I'm in an unfortunately tight spot and getting the back of the computer is a bit of a pain. Plus I am not using the USB BIOS Flashback button.

This makes me nervous, probably shouldn't. I am running version 906 and will be upgrading to 1301. Is this just a matter of going into EZ Flash 3 and running the method?

Another weird thing is that my thumb drive is NOT showing up on the dive list, no matter if I put it in first or add it while in the bios. My hard drives are on the list, seems like I could just add it from there. ????

Chino
Level 15
jakesno wrote:

I have v0801 loaded on a flash drive. It's the only data on the drive. MAXIMUS-IX-HERO-ASUS-0801.CAP 16386KB

Make sure that the pendrive is FAT32 formatted and the BIOS file is the only file on it. 🙂

Chino wrote:
Make sure that the pendrive is FAT32 formatted and the BIOS file is the only file on it. 🙂

Thanks guys. Update was successful, however I'm getting Q-code 40 from time to time. The only settings I've changed is turning on stock XMP settings. I get them whether XMP is on or off and I haven't been gaming or OC'ing at all.

Nate152
Awesome, good to hear the bios update was successful !

Q-code 40 means your pc resumed from the S4 sleep state.

With windows set to never put the pc to sleep I still sometimes get code 40 in fact mine is showing code 40 right now. It's nothing to be concerned with although with sleep disabled it should be showing code A0.

Maybe this could be addressed in the bios.