cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible Performance and stuttering... 6700k, Intel 750 PCIe, 980 ti..

DieselFuel
Level 7
Just built a computer and I'm having a great deal of lag when doing just normal every day things in windows.
It lags and stutters a lot of the time. Moving windows around and such... even just moving the cursor it jumps and stutters. Windows trail behind and catch up. stuttering and creating lines (tearing) across the graphics. Programs lagging and taking along time to load up. just a general feeling that the computer is struggling to do even simple things. Once it's in an application or game it seems "better"... but I still have a lot of lag.

Computer:
Asus Maximus VIII Extreme.
Intel 6700k - Liquid Cooled - Overclocked to 4.6 (lowering to 4.5 or stock doesn't help)
3600 DDR4 - Running at Stock or XMP... doesn't change
EVGA 980 ti hybrid - Liquid cooled (overclocked just a +100proc. 200memory)
Intel 750 PCIe SSD 400GB - Windows 10 Clean installed via USB UEFI boot setup
SAMSUNG 850 SSD 250GB - Windows installed from 7.0 to 10.00 via free update.

Installed the 750 SSD on the 4th PCIe 2x/4x slot and made sure it was locked onto 4x. This deactivated the shared SATA6 port on my board but that's handled as everything is using the other channels. The SSD is the only thing on that channel and running at full speed as far as I can tell at around 2,600mbps with benchmarks.

I thought that perhaps the windows 10 install was causing the problem... So I formatted the Intel 750 PCIe drive and did a fresh install of windows 7. Seemed ok for about a day but the stuttering quickly returned.

The Graphics card is in Slot one on the 16x channel, so it shouldn't be affecting anything as it's also on it's not being shared.

That's probably all the pertinent information on my setup. Everything is running and cool.

Bios is up to date to the latest version on the Motherboard and Hard Drive Firmware.

All PCIe slots are running on 3.0

Any direction on this? I can't fathom how it's working so poorly... I'm not seeing this complaint as I search the internet or forums...
8 REPLIES 8

ondersma80
Level 7
DieselFuel wrote:
I thought that perhaps the windows 10 install was causing the problem... So I formatted the Intel 750 PCIe drive and did a fresh install of windows 7. Seemed ok for about a day but the stuttering quickly returned.

That seems to be the pertinent information right there. If you install Windows 7 and it functions normally for a day the physical installation should be fine. Either storage drive or memory corruption is quickly occurring. My hunch is the memory is causing the corruption. I would start with stock settings for an installation. Jumping right to a significant overclock before even establishing a baseline of stability doesn't make sense. Test at stock, if no problems then move on. If you have problems, you need to start testing one stick of memory at a time. I use AIDA64 and HCI memtest for windows.

ondersma80 wrote:
That seems to be the pertinent information right there. If you install Windows 7 and it functions normally for a day the physical installation should be fine. Either storage drive or memory corruption is quickly occurring. My hunch is the memory is causing the corruption. I would start with stock settings for an installation. Jumping right to a significant overclock before even establishing a baseline of stability doesn't make sense. Test at stock, if no problems then move on. If you have problems, you need to start testing one stick of memory at a time. I use AIDA64 and HCI memtest for windows.

Thanks for the starting point.

When I get home I'll drop everything back to stock and see if it improves.

I think I'll move the memory from A1/B1 to A2/B2
Then I'll run AIDA64 for a while and see if it changes at all and post what I find.

Chino
Level 15

I had the full suite of ASUS apps installed the first time I installed the software.
But as I thought it was a possible cause of the issue the second time I simply installed the ROG CPUz.

I have a Logitech Performance MX Mouse and a Logitech G710 gaming keyboard.
Mouse stutters fully charged or not and plugged in or not.
Keyboard also lags while typing. catches up after half a second or so but you can clearly see the lag.

Alright, I'm home and messing around.
I ran MemTest. turned on 4 of the program at the same time. within 7.5% of the testing 3/4 had 2+ errors.
I just stopped the tests and moved into the bios.

The memory on Auto is humming along at 3600 mhz.

Should I lower that down?

And all of the settings are on auto. I have to enable super... ultra... mega... tweeker or whatever it's called to unlock settings.

Just looking for thoughts on a starting point since Auto seems to just have ranges of everything...

mdzcpa
Level 12
Keep in mind "stock" is the memory at 2133mhz. It doesn't matter what the memory is rated for, the ability to clock above 2133mhz is dependent on the memory controller in the CPU. Run your CPU and memory at default speeds and see what occurs.