cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VIII Hero / 6700k Q Code 35, 00, CPU Q LED Wont POST

Blast3D
Level 7
Hello!

I am currently experiencing issues with my build (assembled at the end of August) not booting up at all (no POST, nothing as of now). Here are my specs.

• i7-6700k (no overclock)
  • Asus Maximus VIII Hero
  • G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2800 (PC4 22400)
  • Samsung evo 850 ssd (1TB)
  • EVGA 970 SC 4GB
  • Antec 750w Power Supply
  • Windows 10

Here is my breakdown of when the issue started and the events that took place after-

Up until yesterday (12/29), the PC was running beautifully. I had been using for 3D modeling, as well as gaming and streaming, and put hundreds of hours of use into it with no issues.

Yesterday, while playing a game and streaming through OBS, I went to alt-tab out of the game, when the PC suddenly froze. I was not monitoring temps or loads at the time, but usually, streaming and gaming will max out, or at least come close to maxing out CPU usage.

I restarted the PC, only to find that it would not POST. I saw the Q Code 35 (CPU post memory initialization) and did a bit of research online. I attempted to test with 1 stick of memory at at time, but would get the same error. After clearning CMOS, and utilizing the MemOK! button, I was able to get the PC to run through each stick of RAM, which came up with a text screen indicating that the memory was okay.

I also removed the cooler, and the CPU, resetting both on the mobo, after inspecting for damage/bent pins. The Graphics card was removed as well during all testing to eliminate it as an issue.

Another attempt actually saw the computer POST, and I was able to get into the BIOS. All settings were at default, and CPU temps were normal. XMP was not enabled, and RAM was running at a slower speed than 2800. I would restart with default settings, as well as XMP enabled, and would not get the PC to fully load windows. I finally ended up putting all 4 sticks of RAM back in for whatever reason, but after doing so, and another reboot, I was actually able to get to the windows login screen. I chalked it up to RAM that was not seated properly.

Everything seemed back to normal, so after about 30 mins I decided to load up a game and test it out. After playing 1 match of the new Battlefront (roughly 20 mins maybe?), the game began loading the next level during the post-match stats screen, when the PC hard-froze again, bluescreening ('machine_check_exception' error, most freezes showed this, often not restarting on its own, as the blue screen states it will). Restarting, I getting back into windows, but the computer was freezing just after a few mins of being in the OS.

I attempted to run through the same troubleshooting process as before, but ended up back with q code 35.

At some point, when restarting, mobo was only showing Q-Code 00 (not used), and the CPU Q-led is fully lit (steady, not flashing).

Finally, I disassembled the entire rig, having only the Mobo on a bench, with the CPU, heatsink/fan, 1 stick of RAM (in single-stick slot configuration, as per the manual) and necessary power leads plugged in from the power supply to eliminate as many possible points-of-failure as possible (including shorting out on the case). Currently, I am still showing code 00, and Q-LED for the CPU fully lit.

I am at a loss at this point, and am leaning towards the CPU being damaged, or the mobo is faulty. Any insights or advice is greatly appreciated, I am currently trying to decide if I should RMA the mobo, CPU, RAM, or some combination of the three. I have not had to RMA any PC parts in the past, so information regarding this (time frames, costs, etc) would be greatly appreciated as well.

I apologize for such a long post, but I wanted to be as thorough as possible in my description of the issues and my troubleshooting.
Thank you.
13 REPLIES 13

NemesisChild
Level 12
If you ruled out the memory & GPU, I would focus on the PSU.

What is the Antec model number and it's age?
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

Chino
Level 15
Blast3D wrote:

• i7-6700k (no overclock)
  • Asus Maximus VIII Hero
  • G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2800 (PC4 22400)
  • Samsung evo 850 ssd (1TB)
  • EVGA 970 SC 4GB
  • Antec 750w Power Supply
  • Windows 10

Are all of your components brand new?

Chino wrote:
Are all of your components brand new?

All components, minus the PSU are brand new. The PSU is from a previous build, and I want to say the Antec Power supply is 2-3 years old. Model is HCG-750. I currently do not have a power supply tester or volt meter, however, I do have another PC I could potentially hook this PSU to and see if it boots up properly.

I will attempt to pick up a PSU from Best Buy tomorrow and test it with my build. Thank you for all the help so far - I will report back with details.

Picked up a Corsair CX850M 850 watt PSU, but no change in the issue. I went ahead and initiated an RMA with Intel, and will be obtaining a replacement CPU next week. Stay tuned!

Blast3D wrote:
Picked up a Corsair CX850M 850 watt PSU, but no change in the issue. I went ahead and initiated an RMA with Intel, and will be obtaining a replacement CPU next week. Stay tuned!

Yeah, Blast3D, i've had the same issues you've been having.

Please post back here if the replacement from Intel does the trick.

What'd you tell them to RMA it? I'm wanting to RMA mine but it's hard to say it's exactly faulty. I feel after going through 6 or so motherboards, that my CPU (which has been replaced once) may be the culprit?
Z790 Asus Hero Maximus on 0816 BIOS (0914 and 1202 crashes for me on XMP I), Intel 13900k stock clock, Asus 4090 Strix OC edition, FF3D532G720 Teamgroup Ram running XMP I, 16gb x 2, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB x 2, Seasonic VERTEX GX 1200W, Win 11 Pro 64, Deepcool LS720 AIO, NZXT H7 Flow. Comfortably using Armoury Crate for updates/fan xpert.

Vinny1001 wrote:
Yeah, Blast3D, i've had the same issues you've been having.

Please post back here if the replacement from Intel does the trick.

What'd you tell them to RMA it? I'm wanting to RMA mine but it's hard to say it's exactly faulty. I feel after going through 6 or so motherboards, that my CPU (which has been replaced once) may be the culprit?

I explained to them my process of elimination about checking each component and narrowing it down the the mobo or cpu, and after providing my cpu's info, they were able to initiate a warranty claim.

Soo update, I recieved and installed my new 6700k replacement, and the computer instantly booted up and ran fine. However, I am currently running cpuid HWMonitor and notice my Vcore appears high - from what I understand shouldnt this be below 1.4 if I am not running an overclock (bios shows all settings at default, and I loaded UEFI defaults.

Any input on this would be great, I would hate to fry a cpu!

EDIT:

Bios is showing a lower value - thoughts?

EDIT:

One more edit! I just remembered that when I assembled the PC I installed pretty much all included software from Asus, including AI Suite III, which if I remember correctly, ran an auto-overclock at some point. I remember resetting it as I decided against overclocking at the time, and would rather go through bios if needed later.

I have since uninstalled AI Suite and some of the other included software, but could this be a cause/source of this issue?

Also, I just realized I'm running Bios version 0214, which is the first release bios? I'm assuming it would be best to update that as well.

Blast3D wrote:
I explained to them my process of elimination about checking each component and narrowing it down the the mobo or cpu, and after providing my cpu's info, they were able to initiate a warranty claim.

Soo update, I recieved and installed my new 6700k replacement, and the computer instantly booted up and ran fine. However, I am currently running cpuid HWMonitor and notice my Vcore appears high - from what I understand shouldnt this be below 1.4 if I am not running an overclock (bios shows all settings at default, and I loaded UEFI defaults.

Any input on this would be great, I would hate to fry a cpu!

EDIT:

Bios is showing a lower value - thoughts?

EDIT:

One more edit! I just remembered that when I assembled the PC I installed pretty much all included software from Asus, including AI Suite III, which if I remember correctly, ran an auto-overclock at some point. I remember resetting it as I decided against overclocking at the time, and would rather go through bios if needed later.

I have since uninstalled AI Suite and some of the other included software, but could this be a cause/source of this issue?

Also, I just realized I'm running Bios version 0214, which is the first release bios? I'm assuming it would be best to update that as well.

Update your BIOS to the latest revision. Put the BIOS file on a empty, fresh FAT32 formatted USB pendrive and update it through the EZ Flash Utility in the BIOS.