cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hero MoBo audio no longer stutters after today's install of BIOS 1701

Zforgetaboutit
Level 9
I'm using Realtek driver v6.0.1.7553. Sonic Studio II is still installed.

Audio now sounds good.
19 REPLIES 19

mooq_
Level 7
Wait for it...

As predicted 😛 (but I hoped not in my case) the problem returned today. I sampled several audio files and could easily hear brief distortion at predictable times. After a reboot just now, the audio is good again. A few days ago I also uninstalled Sonic Studio II, as I don't have a use for it.

mooq_
Level 7
To be honest, I have given up any hope for a solution for this issue from Asus, advertising this as premium sound-quality seems to be a big joke and the guys at Asus are having a good laugh about us "believers" on every cigarette break.
I have settled for the Microsoft drivers and have to use a different soundcard to use my headset for gaming with this "gaming-mobo"...

mooq! wrote:
To be honest, I have given up any hope for a solution for this issue from Asus, advertising this as premium sound-quality seems to be a big joke and the guys at Asus are having a good laugh about us "believers" on every cigarette break.
I have settled for the Microsoft drivers and have to use a different soundcard to use my headset for gaming with this "gaming-mobo"...

Do you get stuttering only when gaming or when listening to media also?

mooq! wrote:

I can only agree on that. I have the Viii Hero board also and the microphone input has a LOT static which cannot be removed, neither with windows standard driver nor their own driver from realtek/asus.

My output is spotless though. But i choose this board ONLY for the "highly recommended" sound and was greatly dissapointed since i use VoIP every day.

And like a lot of others, i cannot install the asus/realtek sound driver on the new windows update.

I have had Asus boards with problems before, but after a couple of Gigabytes i thought to myself to go back to Asus, only to be very dissapointed yet again...

Pkalle wrote:
... the microphone input has a LOT static which cannot be removed...

I wonder why more people don't RMA these mobos for replacement in order to get a certified fixed board. If no such thing, then get a refund. I don't use microphones, and am disappointed with the buggy audio output, but tolerate the need for periodic reboots to have temporary OK audio output.

In the past I've thought about what I'm saying next but never did it. Here goes...

For the websites which published technical reviews of this mobo, ask

• If they didn't do it (and say so) in their review, why didn't they test every input/output?

• If they offer an excuse then let them know about the current PITA audio problems we're discussing here and how skipping due testing is professionally sub-par.

• Did the ASUS reviewer guide for this mobo even mention microphone testing? Was it expressly forbidden?
  • Can they publish ASUS (et al) reviewer guides?

• No? Why not? Why the secrecy by ASUS? It's reasonable if ASUS marketing wants to present the mobo in the best light, but if they already knew a significant percentage of mobos had a permanent audio problem and tried to hide it, that's not fair to the Consumer.

• What was the serial number of the mobo tested?

• This way we may know which sites are testing the SAME reviewer sample. Knowing the statistical size of the reviewed samples may be useful in making a buying decision.

ondersma80
Level 7
Zforgetaboutit wrote:
I'm using Realtek driver v6.0.1.7553. Sonic Studio II is still installed.

I wish I had better advice for you guys - I am not sure why some are afflicted by the sound oddities with the realtek driver. I see you are using the older driver from 2015. Have you given 6.0.1.7786 a try? It was released a couple weeks ago. It says improvements for microphone noise reduction but perhaps it has some compatibility fixes in there too.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/audio/Realtek_Audio_Win7-81-10_6017786.zip?_ga=1.102328897.118...

I've installed the update you mentioned and will try it out.

Thank you very much for your help.

Zforgetaboutit wrote:
I've installed the update you mentioned and will try it out.

1 week later and the symptoms persist; still temporarily relieved by reboots.