cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help finding timing inputs for RAM

Tylersilva93
Level 7
Trying to enter my timings for my ram on the Maximus VIII hero and cant find the box for entering the tRP (RAS Precharge) timing. Can some one show me a screenshot on how to enter all 4 numbers from my ram into the bios.
8 REPLIES 8

Nate152
Hello Tylersilva93 welcome to the ROG forum !

On the Extreme Tweaker tab click " Dram Timing Control"

If your ram supports X.M.P. you can set the AI Overclock tuner to X.M.P. this will set your ram with a click of a button.

Nate152 wrote:
Hello Tylersilva93 welcome to the ROG forum !

On the Extreme Tweaker tab click " Dram Timing Control"

If your ram supports X.M.P. you can set the AI Overclock tuner to X.M.P. this will set your ram with a click of a button.

no i see that im in dram timing control right now. but i only have 4 options, CAS# RAS# to CAS # RAS ACT TIME and the command rate. im missing RAS# pre time like in the older asus maximus boards. I know about xmp, i just wanted to set stuff manually and cant find it

Heres a picture to show you what i mean 54235
Little blurry but i have 16 18 and 35 as my timings. my ram has 16-18-18-35 but i cant see a spot to enter the second 18

Nate152
Oh gotcha sorry about that.

Well I don't know of any ram kits that have just three primary timings, clearing the cmos or updating the bios might fix that.

Here is a guide you can follow if you're not familiar with the bios update procedure.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?1142-How-to-use-ASUS-ROG-USB-BIOS-Flashback

Let us know if either of these help.

Please list your complete system specs if they do not help you.

NemesisChild
Level 12
The Z170 platform only has setting for 3 of the traditional 4 primary settings.
The new DRAM timing bios threw me off as well when I initially set up my newest Skylake build.

Ex: 16-16-16-38 (base timings)

First input is fixed at 16.
The second input of 16 will automatically set the 3rd base timing the same (at 16).
Forth input is fixed at 38.

Hope this helps.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

Chino
Level 15
Tylersilva93 wrote:
Trying to enter my timings for my ram on the Maximus VIII hero and cant find the box for entering the tRP (RAS Precharge) timing. Can some one show me a screenshot on how to enter all 4 numbers from my ram into the bios.

That's normal. The DRAM RAS# PRE Time option isn't available on this platform. The value you input into the DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay option will automatically carry over to the DRAM RAS# PRE Time option. 🙂

Chino wrote:
That's normal. The DRAM RAS# PRE Time option isn't available on this platform. The value you input into the DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay option will automatically carry over to the DRAM RAS# PRE Time option. 🙂
NemesisChild wrote:
The Z170 platform only has setting for 3 of the traditional 4 primary settings.
The new DRAM timing bios threw me off as well when I initially set up my newest Skylake build.

Ex: 16-16-16-38 (base timings)

First input is fixed at 16.
The second input of 16 will automatically set the 3rd base timing the same (at 16).
Forth input is fixed at 38.

Hope this helps.

You two are awesome thanks! Weird they changed that but it makes sense. I was so confused looking thru every menu wondering if I was losing it lol. Thanks guys

darkbreeze
Level 7
So, older thread I know. I appologize for that. However, the idea that the "platform" has done away with the rRP RAS# Precharge is not accurate. My Gigabyte Z170x-Gaming 5 has that setting in the timings section. I just changed boards to the Hero VIII and discovered that the setting is NOT there.

Anybody care to try a different explanation as to why there is no rRP setting on the Maximus VIII series boards? It's certainly not because the setting is gone on Z170, because four Gigabyte boards and two ASRock boards say the setting is still viable and utilized on this chipset, it is simply not there on the ROG and possibly other ASUS Z170 boards.

Plus, when you look at Memtest86 or any other SPD/XMP data for DDR4, or HWinfo/other monitoring sensors on any Z170 motherboard, the tRP timing IS listed, so it MUST be there but is just not listed as a changeable setting in the UEFI memory section.