cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freezing and hanging issues with Maximus VIII Formula +950 Pro+7700k+WIN10

tkeysiv
Level 7
Greetings ROG community!

This is my first post, and unfortunately, it's because I can't seem to get my newly built system working without serious freezing issues.

Here are the specs: M8F, i7 7700k, Corsair Dominator Platinum 3ghz (32gb - 2x16), samsung 950 pro nvme 256gb, 2xROG Strix gtx1070

I tried the latest non-beta bios (2202) but my 2nd video wasn't recognized and boot would fail with xmp enabled, so I flashed to 3101. Boot seems fine - everything recognized (although no gpu temps show in bios - but whatever)...

Problem now is in windows 10. I installed win 10 from usb stick to the 950 pro - and no matter what I do I can't seem to get it to run for more than 20 min to an hour without completely freezing ... usually with the disk utilization jumping to 100% and staying there.

I've been all over the internet looking for solutions ... most symptoms have pointed me in the direction of there being an issue with pci express power managment. I've been trying all different combinations of bios settings for native power management and IRST vs. AHCI storage and PCI bus speeds (auto or gen3 pretty much cause immediate failures with the event log flooding with whea-logger warnings).

Setting the PCI bus speed to gen 2 gives much more stable results, with an occassional whea-logger warning in the event log, but the drive utilization still jumps to 100% after some time and the system freezes.

With other combinations of settings (I can't remember which) the system periodically freezes while logging "Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued" (or RaidPort1 ... keep in mind I'm using a single drive, not in raid, but I'm trying all kinds of options to see what I can get to work.

I've tried with and without installing the IRST software, I've tried the registry tweaks to display the ahci power options in the power settings, I've set it to performance power settings (not balanced), I've done the registry change to disable msi on the sata controllers (which were using windows drivers btw, not intels)....

I'm pretty much at my wits end trying to figure out what in the world is the issue with this system. I never thought, after 20 years of building pc's, that the most expensive and up-to-date and supposedly highest quality build I've ever done would be plagued so bad right out the gate.

Has anyone built a comparable system, and have you had these issues? Anyone had these issues and resolved them????

Thanks in advance.
27 REPLIES 27

Nate152
Hi tkeysiv

Welcome to the ROG forum.

The freezing is likely with your ram.

On the Extreme Tweaker tab go to Dram Timing Control and at the top of the timings page try setting Maximus Tweak Mode 2. You can try setting your ram manually too instead of using XMP.

If that doesn't help, on the Extreme Tweaker tab try raising the CPU System Agent voltage and CPU VCCIO voltages. Try both at 1.15v, if it's still freezing try them both at 1.20v, then both up to 1.25v if needed.

See if this stops the freezing.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi tkeysiv

Welcome to the ROG forum.

The freezing is likely with your ram.

On the Extreme Tweaker tab go to Dram Timing Control and at the top of the timings page try setting Maximus Tweak Mode 2. You can try setting your ram manually too instead of using XMP.

If that doesn't help, on the Extreme Tweaker tab try raising the CPU System Agent voltage and CPU VCCIO voltages. Try both at 1.15v, if it's still freezing try them both at 1.20v, then both up to 1.25v if needed.

See if this stops the freezing.

Ok, I'll try that now ... btw, I failed to mention - that almost always the drive utilization goes to 100%, and only on the C: drive (m.2) ... I have another sata drive (d:) that seems to never have an issue and always be at nearly 0%, but it's not the boot drive.

Ok I took the OC preset off XMP and put it back on auto, set the dram timings to tweak mode 2, and the pci bus speed back to auto.

So what's happening now is about 2 min after windows loads, in the Event Viewer>Windows Logs>System, I get the secnvme Warning "Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort2, was issued." ... this is occurring approx every minute (in fact, it's showing 1 exactly per minute - to the second) and the drive utilization is sitting at 100%. The system isn't completely frozen - but it's basically unresponsive.

I can try setting the pci bus speed back to gen 2, but that's a pain because the system might seem ok for up to an hour before failing again.

Nate152 wrote:
All right

Here is an article that may fix your ssd problem.

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/fix-100-disk-usage-in-task-manager-improve-pc-performance-on-wi...

Thanks @Nate152 ... but I've tried all of that already - it doesn't seem to be an issue with any particular process hogging the drive, and I've tried that storage controller registry tweak also.

Nate152
Thank you

Have you installed Samsung Magician? It can sometimes tell you what the problem is.

Nate152 wrote:
Thank you

Have you installed Samsung Magician? It can sometimes tell you what the problem is.

Installed it ... it said everything was good except my firmware was out of date, updated it, still no dice. drive utilization jumped to 100% 6 min after windows startup and everything (except the mouse curser, it survives everything) has frozen.

Nate152
All right

Have you tried setting the windows power plan to high performance ?

Nate152 wrote:
All right

Have you tried setting the windows power plan to high performance ?

yup