Hello everybody!

I built a new computer:

- ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO
- Samsung SSD SM951-NVMe Series 512GB
- Intel Core i7-6700K
- Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 CL15, 4x8GB
- Enermax Digifanless 550W ATX 2.4
- Old LG Monitor M2762D

I celebrated the installation, did it carefully and as I do this every 2-3 years I should be a little bit experienced.

At the first switch-on: Nothing. Only a very short impulse let the CPU-cooler rotate for a second. After check with my old power-supply (also Enermax) I was sure: The power supply is faulty, because everything was physically running: CPU cooler, 3 system coolers, hard disk. I sent the new Enermax back.

Afterwards I started everything, this time with monitor and everything else, because I wanted to step into the BIOS. But the monitor remained black. "No signal" it signaled.
Looking deeper to the mainboard: The Q code freezes at code 32 (sometimes at 3b). The Q-Led´s are not burning which should signal that all devices are ok. The hard disk Led is not on (don´t know if that has an impact at that early state of system start).

I did every alternative installation to see if there is something faulty, specially with the SM951 SSD - i tried with/without - no impact, i tryd with another conventional hard disk (which i tested on another computer). The result was always the same: 32 (3b).

For me it seems most probably that the CPU is the reason.
Just one add. info: When i searched for Qcode 32 I found "http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?41970-Maximus-VI-Impact-Q-Code-30-31-amp-32-No-bios-screen", but unfortunately the thread is without answer or solution. However, therefor i added my monitor to the listing, its a PC/TV hybrid. (Still).

I really don´t know what should now be the next right step.

Dear everbody, maybe you can help me!
Tom
6 REPLIES 6

NemesisChild
Level 12
Hello Tom, welcome to the forum!

Are you saying that it posted with your old PSU and that it didn't post with the RMA Enermax replacement?
Did you try posting with just one stick of memory and/or try in different slots?
Try posting with no USB devices attached.

What graphic card are you running?
What CPU cooler are you using?
Have you checked the CPU socket for bent or missing pins?
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

Dear NemesisChild, thank you for your quick reply!

The system did´nt start at all with the new PSU. With the old PSU it started, but only till Code32.

With different memory installation I did not try - but it´s a good idea.
I had never USB devices attached. (If i install Windows then from DVD).

Currently NO graphic card, wanted to use the Intel internal GPU for the first time.
The CPU cooler is Nocuta NH-C14S (14cm Fan, should be strong enough, http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&setlng=en&products_id=111&news_id=)

No. I din´t check the CPU since I wanted to avoid this effort....

So the next step will be different tests with the memory as you recommended, this will take a while, i will do it tomorrow.

Thank you very much so far!

NemesisChild
Level 12
I'm suggesting that you leave your USB mouse and keyboard unattached just to see if you can post to the bios.
I've seen it happen from time to time, a faulty USB devices can cause a system not to post.
That cooler should be fine but over tightening can definitely bend the socket pins.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2

HEY!!!
This was it: The RAM!

After all story above, now first I tried with only one Dimm in A2. And for the first time something on the monitor appeard: "Amibios, blabla,.. Error: No Keyboard detected" The error was clear because i followed NemesisChild´s instruction and did´nt plug in a USB device.
However: I cannot remember that an error was so fine with me, because the system woke up the first time!

I tried afterwards with 2 Dimms: worked.
Then 3 (don´t know if this theoretically also works) - I ´ve got a BIOS beep: Long + 2x short. (manual: "no memory detected")
Then i tried the other Dimm instead of the 3rd before: Code 3b but no BIOS beep.

However, this seems for me the evidence:
CPU is ok. Hero is ok. SSD 951 is ok.
Faulty are the Kingston Dimms.
I don´t know if they generally don´t work while using 4 pieces or if this one with the BIOS beep is damaged.
Next step: I will return the Dimm´s. Wait for new ones & for the new power supply.

Thank you very much!
NemesisChild you helped me a lot!
I´ll let you know when there are news!

NemesisChild
Level 12
You're welcome! Glad you got it sorted out.

Let us know how the memory and PSU replacements work for you.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2

Menthol
Level 14
Some memory modules designed for the X99 system is going to give you problems on the Z170 platform, the kit you stated above is stated as being auto overclocking which i believe does not default to 2133 MHZ, which I believe could be your issue, either try memory specifically for the z170 platform or if you can get into the bios where you can manually set voltages and timings you may get it to work