cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UEFI install / questions

Lynkdev
Level 10
About to start up a new build with this mobo / 2x 840 pro ssds / 2x Titan X's / 5960x and not sure how to go about making sure my win 8.1 pro gets installed in UEFI correctly.

Reading around it looks like i need to put this on a USB as CD-ROM has issues?

The SSD's are used from a prev build, do i create the raid array using CTRL-I first before changing any settings on mobo for UEFI?

No additional drivers needed?

thanks for any info.
3 REPLIES 3

trumpy81
Level 7
It is easier using USB to install in UEFI mode. Not all CD/DVD drives will boot in UEFI mode and therefore they don't give the needed UEFI option in the boot menu.

Use a tool named Rufus to prepare your USB flash drive using the Windows 8.1.iso

I don't recommend using RAID on your boot drive, but yes create the RAID first and then make sure the BIOS is configured for UEFI. You should not need any additional drivers.

Once you have prepared the USB flash drive, boot the machine and press F8 and then in the boot menu select 'UEFI:Name of flash drive' to boot in UEFI mode ready for installation of Windows. If Windows complains that it cannot be installed on your drive, it is because you have not formatted the drive using GPT. Hit F10 and use diskpart to convert the drive to GPT.

trumpy81 wrote:
It is easier using USB to install in UEFI mode. Not all CD/DVD drives will boot in UEFI mode and therefore they don't give the needed UEFI option in the boot menu.

Use a tool named Rufus to prepare your USB flash drive using the Windows 8.1.iso

I don't recommend using RAID on your boot drive, but yes create the RAID first and then make sure the BIOS is configured for UEFI. You should not need any additional drivers.

Once you have prepared the USB flash drive, boot the machine and press F8 and then in the boot menu select 'UEFI:Name of flash drive' to boot in UEFI mode ready for installation of Windows. If Windows complains that it cannot be installed on your drive, it is because you have not formatted the drive using GPT. Hit F10 and use diskpart to convert the drive to GPT.

Thanks for the reply,

When creating the usb with rufus..should I use gpt partition scheme for uefi?

Getselim
Level 7
Yep has to be GPT for UEFI