cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage V Extreme sudden CODE 00 but occasionally boots up

Heretic123
Level 7
Hello 🙂 I built my PC in 2015 and it has been running fine until now with the exception of smaller issues (drivers etc.). Last week, the system suddenly wouldn't boot up and I noticed it gave a CODE 00 on the motherboard. I disconnected the power, removed/put back the battery, reconnected power and then it booted up ok and I didn't think much about it. The next day I had the same issue, but this time it took about 2-3 attempts before it booted up. Once up, I ran all the tests I could think of but nothing seems to be wrong (CPU, GPU, RAM, SSDs...). I also updated the BIOS - something I hadn't done before as I didn't see any need (things were working fine). Since then this is a daily routine and it's getting worse every time. Today, the system started/stopped by itself about 3 times before it eventually booted up (after about 7 attempts). If the motherboard is faulty, I'll be fine with getting a new one - it has done a good job so far - but I just want to identify what the issue is so that I am not wasting time and money. I am hoping that someone on this forum can help!

Current symptoms: When the power button is pressed, the motherboard immediately shows CODE 00 and nothing starts up except the main fan. PCIe cards and GPU seem to have power but boot isn't initialized. If I disconnect power and remove the battery on the motherboard, then put back/connect power, the system will boot up about once per every 6-7 attempts. When it does boot up, everything is completely normal though it does give me the BIOS start screen on startup. Having accepted the defaults and restarted, Windows loads fine and functionality is 100% on all components, peripherals, as far as I can tell.

MB : ASUS ROG Rampage V Extreme U3.1 Rev 1.xx
BIOS: 4101 (07/10/2019)
CPU: Intel i7-5930K @3.50GHz
PWR: Cooler Master V1200 Platinum
GPU: Asus NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan X
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4-2666 64GB (4 x 16GB)
HDD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
PCIe: Intel SSD 750 NVMe, QNAP QXG 10GbE Network adapter

I would be happy to submit logs but I don't know how to do that/what tool to use! I greatly appreciate your help!
2 REPLIES 2

Magic_Smoke
Level 7
Heretic123 wrote:
Hello 🙂 I built my PC in 2015 and it has been running fine until now with the exception of smaller issues (drivers etc.). Last week, the system suddenly wouldn't boot up and I noticed it gave a CODE 00 on the motherboard. I disconnected the power, removed/put back the battery, reconnected power and then it booted up ok and I didn't think much about it. The next day I had the same issue, but this time it took about 2-3 attempts before it booted up. Once up, I ran all the tests I could think of but nothing seems to be wrong (CPU, GPU, RAM, SSDs...). I also updated the BIOS - something I hadn't done before as I didn't see any need (things were working fine). Since then this is a daily routine and it's getting worse every time. Today, the system started/stopped by itself about 3 times before it eventually booted up (after about 7 attempts). If the motherboard is faulty, I'll be fine with getting a new one - it has done a good job so far - but I just want to identify what the issue is so that I am not wasting time and money. I am hoping that someone on this forum can help!

Current symptoms: When the power button is pressed, the motherboard immediately shows CODE 00 and nothing starts up except the main fan. PCIe cards and GPU seem to have power but boot isn't initialized. If I disconnect power and remove the battery on the motherboard, then put back/connect power, the system will boot up about once per every 6-7 attempts. When it does boot up, everything is completely normal though it does give me the BIOS start screen on startup. Having accepted the defaults and restarted, Windows loads fine and functionality is 100% on all components, peripherals, as far as I can tell.

I would be happy to submit logs but I don't know how to do that/what tool to use! I greatly appreciate your help!

It's been a long time - and it wouldn't cost much. Try a new battery!

red-454
Level 8
Heretic123 wrote:

Mine is doing the EXACT same thing. It first took 3 or 4 tries, then took maybe 20 attempts to get a successful boot. Well, now it is just the 00 code. Haven't gotten a boot in several days. Every once in a while I will get a solid CPU LED, and the PCIe LEDs will light up - with the last one flashing.

What I have tried:
Changed the CPU back to the original 5820K that I saved (just in case). No luck - put the 6950X back in.
Changed the PSU, memory, GPU, switched between both BIOS chips, cleared the CMOS, safe boot, MEM ok, Try it. Pulled the battery in and out - check voltage, 3.3 volts (new battery last year).

Conclusion: It's dead, Jim. Really going to miss my 6950X.