cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions of a noob on this platform (the 10 commandments of the RVE)

sucka
Level 7
Hello,
i bought a rampage v recently, with a 5930k, using with 2x 970 strix, cooled with one dedicated loop for cpu 420mm radator, d5 glass pump/reservoir and ek supremacy evo waterblock with noctua ppc industrial 2000rpm ip67 fans, with an ax1500i psu and a 950 pro ssd for system and many more devices connected.

So, to start the problems i was having, bought like a noob coming from ddr3, some corsair lpx ram and had problems with them so i returned them after seeing they are not under any qvl, so bought some ram that is under corsair's qvl at least.

Question list: 😄

1. Bought corsair dominator 32gb quad channel kit 3000mhz cl15 CMD32GX4M4B3000C15, and still after setting xmp, the only thing that it sets is the frequency of ram, bclk and cpu strap plus multiplier of cache and cpu, wouldn't it need to complete the fields of timings? is this normal behavior for any ram kit?

2. Is it normal with xmp by default my system not to boot? i can boot and works perfectly if i set bclk and cpu strap back to 100, under 125 not working, even with all the rest bios settings default, tried any combination anyways.

3. The ram voltage remains on auto no matter what and under auto the voltage is at 1.4v, is this normal? if i manually set it to 1.35 can't complete on superpi for example.

4. I want to overclock the cpu as well, as i am gaming allot too, not only working, and i got 4.1ghz at 1.1 cpu voltage, is this ok? and my target is a 4.2-4.3ghz and @4ghz for cache but keeping the voltages as low as possible so i don't get over 50 degrees, as i keep my pump at 2000-2500rpm and at 800-1000 rpm the fans so it's inaudible and want a literally cool pc. Do you have any suggestions for the cache voltage to be stable at 4ghz and usual lowest voltage for cpu for 5930k ?

5. If i set manual timings on the ram, spd data read with the uefi bios, and written directly in bios settings, except the main timings if i change anything can't boot and i get error no ram the one beep pause and 3 beeps alert. Is this normal, am i forgetting anything or doing anything wrong?

6. On aida cpu package is around 10 degrees higher that any other software of it's kind, hwmonitor for example shows correctly, but i like aida for the rest of the features, do you know about this, is it a hardware defect or just a bug of how it connects or read the data from the sensors?

7. On 8k video playback i get stutters and lost frames, is this normal or is something wrong? With the same components on a 4790k on maximus vii formula i had no problems like this.

8. On windows 10 boot, i have some pauses where the animation wheel just stops spinning and it does this 2 or 3 times for a couple of seconds each time before entering windows, is this normal too or again anything not working correctly?

9. Shouldn't asus rog boards have ultra fast boot? never managed to get it to work, does anyone know how? of course uefi install and all the classical stuff, i mean,a anything else...

10. Do you think if i put a second quad channel kit identical with the first one will have that many more problems?

I have even changed all settings, multiple ssd drives tested, multiple windows installs, reflashed bios, changed gpu's with others, removed one, tested with the ram sticks one by one and adding one more every time to test.

Thank you everyone! 🙂
21 REPLIES 21

Menthol
Level 14
10. mixing kits even identical is asking for more trouble

Start by reading overclocking and memory guides, there are also windows UEFI install guides on these forums

You have all the hardware to do anything you want, start at all defaults, Install windows and minimum drivers, tweak one component at a time, one bios setting at a time

sucka
Level 7
Of course i know they are trouble, especially they are 8x8gb, but i mean in a situation where spd data is identical and everything is identical from hardware to software inside the ram, all it remains is the problems of cpu's imc capability to work with the sticks, and compatibility because of variation of behavior of ic's in each stick. But usually, at least 8x8gb no matter what kits, would work at 3000mhz or no chance?
I am waiting for the second kit to arrive and to test it, anyhow for me coming from ddr3 i see strange behaviour with my 1 quad kit i have installed now, at least i found it's sweet spot, even if i hate it i have to loose time with this. 😄

Thanks!

sucka
Level 7
Doh, i read everything from the entire forum, and everything that google can find in the last month. Plus have 14 years experience that varies from robotics to web development. And as i presumed, my kits are just a few pieces behind the others made, so the series for the sticks from one kit to another is 10 ram sticks behind. In stock works perfectly as it is with just one quad kit. I had the classical not all ram seen, i still haven't raised bclk just put 2933mhz and they are all seen. The weird thing i am inspecting now is that from @68gb/s memory copy performance i dropped to about 22gb/s. So now to see why, because ok slower performance, but so much drop? Oh and so far for the last half of hour no error with memtest and superpi.

Raja
Level 13
I have heard the 10-30 years of experience line from a lot of folks, but quite often they lack specialization in DRAM signaling, so while they exhibit some logic, fail to grasp the technicalities of things. Combining kits, whether from the same batch or not, creates issues most of the time.

sucka
Level 7
Of course, but hey in 5 mins i made it stable 🙂 And no, the series are identical just 10 ram sticks were between this kits, and while there are so many things that fluctuate at least they are identical in everything software/hardare related. And i have no performance drop on 2133, the only problem at 3000, they work ok as no error or instability now even got them at 3000 directly, but the imc, and yes here i have no great experience to know what to expect of it, the findable info is little at the detail i need.
The problem is that the memory controller cant take all 96186MB/s bandwidth and i have a third of mem performance. I am now in a quest to find out what is the max frequency that the imc can cope with.

Oh and yeah checked the ic's and everything to not have differences, tested again from 1 to 8 sticks, again no difference in mem oc, if i can't find any, i'l have to test one by one to see what frequency is the maximum that doesn't kill the imc capability.

Raja
Level 13
Interesting that someone with so much expertise needs to ask questions on the forum 😉

This has nothing to do with the ICs in the way you are writing - or the SPD. The SPD is programmed to the density of one kit, not two.

sucka
Level 7
:)) don't be evil.
Nobody knows everything, and i hate it that since i got this i had to wait for new ram and now since i got them i have to stay maybe more weeks to get to test everything, of course instead of testing everything and reverse engineering everything, i'd hope for networking info and take a shortcut to play games on the pc and not stay in bios in all my non work available time.

Oh and p.s. made it stable now at 2800 with performance back on top. just max 5% slower, but that's the 3000mhz timings, now to see how low i can get the timings, at least the main ones. 😛 So at 3000mhz is the only problem. 🙂

Raja
Level 13
Well you read the forum threads and decided to go for it anyway.. Good luck!

It isn't plug and play as you are finding out.