cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q-CODE 61 in Rampage V extreme (x99)

ImErick
Level 7
Hi all,
Since february 2016 (almost 1 year ago) I have a currently issue with Asus Mobo Rampage V x99, sometimes the system can not boot and I get the next Q-CODE:
61, and I saw the user guide manual that I means "NVRAM initialization". Does not matter How many times do you restart it, the system cannt boot, the only way to solve that is press the button CL_CMOS, entry in BIOS menu and restart the system (temporary solution), as we know this is kinda annoying and I tried to solve it.
My first attempt to solve this issue was updated the BIOS (1902), when I did that, the update ran well and the issue dissapers..or not? well NOT, the issue come back one or two days per month, but in november 2016 the issue was recurrently again, and I tried to solve when I updated the BIOS, but the series 3xxx are crap because now I got random PC resets (oh god why?), so I reading in this forums I tried with 2101 BIOS version and got again 61 Q-CODE, now I change to 0044 BIOS version and I still get 61 Q-CODE.

Im getting tired of this Asus MoBo expensive crap and Im desesperate to solve this, so Im here asking if anyone have an idea to solve this or if anyone can help me? please.
PD. You can see my specs in my description

Thanks and Regards
4 REPLIES 4

Qwinn
Level 11
Are you sure you're not confusing 61 with b1?

Qwinn wrote:
Are you sure you're not confusing 61 with b1?

Hi all, thanks for responding, I'm waiting until today to replay, because the Q-CODE did not had happen until now
Hi Qwinn, yes I think is 61

I'm add a picture to probe it

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi ImErick 🙂

There are a few things that can throw up a Qcode 61, that is if it is indeed 61 and not b1.
First I would check your RAM. Your CPU officially supports DDR4 1333/1600/2133 so 3000MHz is considered an OC and it will depend on the strength of your chips IMC if they will play fair or not. The i7 5960x is an expensive chip so should have good scalability but no guarantee.

My advice is to first eliminate your RAM from the equation by swapping them out with a different kit that are listed on the MB QVL say at 2133MHz.
Assuming all DIMMs have been tested using Memtest86, you can try with just 1 DIMM in first slot and try switching them around.
If you can get to your Bios you could try them at a lower frequency or with different Primary Timings and Voltage. Also your XMP profile may not be recognized.

Some USB devices can also cause this so try with just mouse and keyboard attached.

I have also read that the GPU can throw up the Qcode 61 so test the unit in another system or swap it out just in case.

See how you go and please report back.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

MeanMachine wrote:
Hi ImErick 🙂

There are a few things that can throw up a Qcode 61, that is if it is indeed 61 and not b1.
First I would check your RAM. Your CPU officially supports DDR4 1333/1600/2133 so 3000MHz is considered an OC and it will depend on the strength of your chips IMC if they will play fair or not. The i7 5960x is an expensive chip so should have good scalability but no guarantee.

My advice is to first eliminate your RAM from the equation by swapping them out with a different kit that are listed on the MB QVL say at 2133MHz.
Assuming all DIMMs have been tested using Memtest86, you can try with just 1 DIMM in first slot and try switching them around.
If you can get to your Bios you could try them at a lower frequency or with different Primary Timings and Voltage. Also your XMP profile may not be recognized.

Some USB devices can also cause this so try with just mouse and keyboard attached.

I have also read that the GPU can throw up the Qcode 61 so test the unit in another system or swap it out just in case.

See how you go and please report back.

Thanks for your help MeanMachine,
For your advice, and I'm here to do my report back, actually in the user guide manual, the rampage V x99 support 3000MHZ (like this model.) GSKILL Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM 3000MHz (PC4 24000) Desktop Memory (F4-3000C15Q-16GRR), and as you know I have others) or 3300 MHz max, but I'm confuse because I think there is not the problem, in the BIOS menu the memory had by default 2133 MHz BUT When I got the Q-CODE today, I look closely and I notice there is a little LED blinking next to Q-CODE leds and find the DRAM_LED light on, I read about it and probably RAM issue.
I will do the memtest86 and test with another RAMs coming soon, but ... Why did this happen now and did not when I use my PC at first time? Any idea

I will keep inform you guys
Regards