cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with First GPU - only PCIX 3.0 @ 8x

bernisv
Level 7
Hallo all,

I have just finished my new build this night.
Now i have the problem, that my first GPU is only running PCIX 3.0 @ 8x.
The funny thing is, that my second GPU (its the 480 GTX) is running at full 16x (its a PCIX 2.0 Card).
Im using a M2, but i - but that cannot be the reason......

Greetings
Berni
MB: Rampage V Extreme
CPU: Intel Core i7 5960X (@4,2 / Adaptive Voltage 1,23V)
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 (32GB-Kit 2666-15-15-15-35 @1,2V)
GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX Titan X Superclocked and Geforce 480 GTX
PSU: Corsair AX1500i
M2: Samsung XP941
SSD: 2 x Samsung 840 pro
HD: HGST He8 8TB
Display: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q
Keyboard: Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse: Steelseries Sensei MLG Edition/ Zowie ZA12

CPU and GPUs watercooled
57 REPLIES 57

Hopper64
Level 15
You might try Gen3 in Advanced/PCH configuration in the bios, but I wonder about your 2 different cards and the M2. Question whether these 2 things may cause issues. One of the gurus will be along to shed light on this.
MZ790A Bios 2002, GSkill F5-8000J3848H16GX2-TZRK, 13900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ Optimus block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Samsung 990, Windows 11 Pro

Chino
Level 15
1. Have you run the render test in GPU-Z to see if it cranks up to x16?

2. In which slots are you using your GPUs?

3. Also, which BIOS are you running on your Rampage V Extreme?

bernisv
Level 7
Hi all,
Hi Chino,

1. I have tried the render test in GPU-Z, but it still remains at x8. Also the BIOS shows x8.

2. I use the "standard slots" for a 2 GPU-Configuration. So the Titan is in slot x16_1 (but still remains at x8), and the 480 GTX is in the x16/8_3 and works correct at x16.
When i put both cards in my Rampage IV board, they work correct both at x16. So it has to be a problem with the Rampage V.

3. Im running the latest BIOS, 0802.

CPU and GPUs watercooled

Avenger411
Level 10
What if you remove the gtx480 ? Is your primary slot switching to 16x natively ?
Cpu : Intel 5930K@4.25ghz@1.2v / Cache @4.25ghz@1.20v
Cpu Cooler : Corsair H100i
Case : Corsair 780T
Memory : G.Skills 32GB DDR4-3200mhz CAS 15-15-15-35-1T@1.370v
Motherboard : Asus Rampage V Extreme (BIOS 3504)
M2 : Samsung 950 Pro NVME 512gb (Gaming)
M2 : SSD1 : OCZ RD400A 128gb (windows)
SSD1 : Crucial MX100 512gb (data)
Gfx : EVGA Titan X w/ 980 Hybrid Cooling AiO Liquid Cooler
PSU : Antec HCP-1000W
Monitor : Asus RoG Swift

bernisv
Level 7
Hello all,

i have tested now the PCIX 16_1-slot alone (without second graphics card).
When i put the 480 GTX in, it is running at x16! So the slot works, as it mentioned! The BIOS goes to compatibility mode for the card, because it has no UEFI-Driver.
But when i put in the GTX Titan, it only works at x8 and it still remains at X8 (setting GEN3 for the slot doesn´t help and when the GPU is in heavy use also)!!!!!!!

Then i tested the same configuration in my Rampage IV - all works as mentioned (both cards at x16).
So this is a bug with the BIOS of the board, or an incompatibility issue with something.
Thats the same with my Soundblaster Z - it wasnt recognized in the 4_1 PCIX slot. I had to activate the ASmedia PCIX controller in BIOS, then it was recognized - but what the hell? Whats the reason for this? The PCIX slots are natively connected to the Intel chipset! So for what i have to activate the ASmedia SATA controller to recognize the soundcard, which is in the 4_1 slot? I think the Rampage V has more problems, then it should.....

So what can i do now? Buy a board from an other company, or what?

CPU and GPUs watercooled

bernisv wrote:
Hello all,

i have tested now the PCIX 16_1-slot alone (without second graphics card).
When i put the 480 GTX in, it is running at x16! So the slot works, as it mentioned! The BIOS goes to compatibility mode for the card, because it has no UEFI-Driver.
But when i put in the GTX Titan, it only works at x8 and it still remains at X8 (setting GEN3 for the slot doesn´t help and when the GPU is in heavy use also)!!!!!!!

Try the following for me.

1. Remove both GPUs and sound card.
2. Disconnect the 24 pin, 8 pin and 4 pin power cables going to the motherboard.
3. Remove the CMOS battery for 10 minutes.
4. Press the Start button to discharge any remaining power.
5. Insert the CMOS battery back into place.
6. Reconnect the 24 pin, 8 pin and 4 pin power cables.
7. Install your GTX Titan in the PCIe 3.0 x16_1 slot.
8. Connect the PCIe power cables to your GTX Titan.
9. Power up your system.

Any changes?

Go with a Gigabyte or MSI!!!...if you rma it..be careful..you might get screwed...especially if your in Canada..ASUS service in Ontario sucks real bad.

bernisv
Level 7
Hi Chino,

i have tested your options - with no result.
Something is also weird. After i have activated the ASmedia Sata Controller, i have installed the driver in Windows 8.1. Without problems.
But in the device manager is no entry for the ASmedia SATA-controller, only for the Intel! Is that normal?

I have really set up many boards, also the ones, where i was an early adopter - but this board is bullsh....really.
How is that possible, that the Titan works only at x8 and a GTX 480 in the same slot with x16?
I think its the UEFI-Driver in the BIOS for the Titan, that is ****ty programmed. The GTX 480 has no UEFI driver support, so it works only as legacy device - and this works.......
This board is too early released!
Also the missing ASmedia SATA controller in the control panel..... and the need to activate it, to get a soundcard in the PCIX 4_1 to work.....
Please tell me, whats the reason for this, that i need to activate him, that the soundcard work in the described slot? As i said - this board is far from being stable - its a beta release.
Sorry for that conclusion, but i have never seen an Asus board with such low quality in terms of stability and usability.
I think i will send it back and try another one, i dont like to use more time with it, only to become the things to work, which are absolutely standard!
I cant believe, that standards as the PCIX lane config, are so problematic and also not logical engineered (like the ASmedia Sata Controller need for the PCIX 4_1 lane.....).

PLZ dont take it personal, its not youre fault - you are trying to help - and thats respectable and i want to thank you for that.
Greetings from a frustrated user...

CPU and GPUs watercooled

Chino
Level 15
The PCIe_X4_X1 slot shares bandwidth with a few other devices. One of the devices on that list is the SATAEXPRESS_E1 port which belongs to the ASMedia controller. Therefore disabling that controller will also disable the PCIe slot.

Have you tried reflashing your BIOS? If not, try using the USB BIOS Flashback procedure to reflash the 0802 BIOS. Also, what is the brand of your GTX Titan? If it's ASUS, the BIOS should be able to pick it up in the GPU POST utility in the BIOS and tell you if it's running at x16. Also, have you tried the GTX Titan in the other PCIe slots to see if the issue remains?