cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Solution to the Multiple Reboots/Resets?

jasonvp
Level 7
When I started using my X99 Deluxe board last summer, I was a little annoyed at the reset/reboot/reset/reboot/power-off/power-on cycle I had to do to get it to finally start loading Windows. That curse seems to have followed me to the Rampage V, and I know I'm not the only one that suffers it. Are there any common suggestions and/or solutions?

Thanks.
System specs: click here.
37 REPLIES 37

Minsekt
Level 7
more information? does it reboot/reset itself, do you do a restart?

whats your current bios? do you have any usb devices connected except mouse/keyboard? if so what are those? what Qcode does your Mobo show when it happens? i assume youre using the same cpu/ram youve used in your X99 Deluxe?

I know I'm not the only one with this problem re: the Asus X99 motherboards. There are far too many reviews out there with people complaining about the same sort of thing. That said:

Minsekt wrote:
more information? does it reboot/reset itself, do you do a restart?

It doesn't crash/reboot if that's what you mean. Merely when I try to power it up cold, OR when I have Windows restart it, it generally takes about 4-5 RESET button presses before the BIOS decides to load the OS off the drive. It happened with both Windows 8.1 and 10 on the previous X99 rig, and is happening with Windows 10 on this one. So I've scratched the OS off the list of trouble makers. I've also tried different drives for the boot drive, be it the M.2 or one of the SATA SSDs. Again: it doesn't matter.

whats your current bios?

It doesn't matter. I'm currently using 1801, but it happens with the stock 1601 that the board came with, and the newer 1902 that recently became available.

do you have any usb devices connected except mouse/keyboard? if so what are those?

Yes. A USB3 hub, a SD/CF card reader, a joystick, throttle stick, and rudder pedals. They're not the problem because it happens even without them connected.

what Qcode does your Mobo show when it happens?

Different every time. Same with the X99 Deluxe.

i assume youre using the same cpu/ram youve used in your X99 Deluxe?

Yep. Once booted, they work fine.

Praz wrote:
Tune for stability and those issues will go away.

I'm not sure what you mean by that but I'd bet a paycheck against it. FWIW, this happens whether the machine is overclocked or not. In fact, it happens even with (mostly) default BIOS settings, save disabling the WiFi, Bluetooth, and on-board audio (because I don't need any of those).

Korth wrote:
Test the system with a different PSU?

I wish I could, but I don't have another one powerful enough to handle the load. CoolerMaster's PSUs are quite stout and capable, so my gut tells me it's not the PSU.

i think praz meant to say you should fix your ram timings and voltages. with a 64gb kit and that cpu, its highly unlikely itll work right out of the box. set your system agent voltage to 1.05v and your ram timings + voltage manually. are you using a xmp profile?

also write down the QCode your mobo tells you once it happens, its much easier to find a solution this way

Minsekt wrote:
set your system agent voltage to 1.05v and your ram timings + voltage manually.

Hm. I was hoping to not have to dig into any of that as my grasp of that stuff is tenuous at best.

are you using a xmp profile?

I'm not. I don't think it's available for these sticks, though I may be looking in the wrong place.

jasonvp wrote:
Hm. I was hoping to not have to dig into any of that as my grasp of that stuff is tenuous at best.

I'm not. I don't think it's available for these sticks, though I may be looking in the wrong place.

with your 5960x and 64gb ram its high likely a voltage problem if you dont touched anything. just set system agent voltage to 1.05v and see if it happens again, if not its fine. 1.05v is totally fine

Minsekt wrote:
with your 5960x and 64gb ram its high likely a voltage problem if you dont touched anything. just set system agent voltage to 1.05v and see if it happens again, if not its fine. 1.05v is totally fine

Thanks for the suggestion. For what it's worth, I just did a series of reboots starting with a running Windows 10. I told it to restart. I got:

Ad - completely blank screen. No BIOS screen, nothing. Stayed that way. Pressed RESET.
61 - ROG logo, the one without the "Press F2 to get into BIOS". Stayed that way. Pressed RESET.
61 - Preparing for Windows Repair, but never actually loads it. Just sits there. Pressed RESET.
Ad - ROG logo (sans BIOS). Pressed RESET.
61 - Preparing for Windows Repair, but never actually loads it. Just sits there. Pressed RESET.
Ad - ROG logo. Pressed RESET.
AA - Actually loaded the Windows Repair. Told it to "Boot Win 10".
AA - Finally loaded Windows 10.

I'm going to call this tentatively solved. For now. I did play around with the memory voltage and it had literally no effect. However...

Minsekt wrote:
do you have any usb devices connected except mouse/keyboard? if so what are those?

I'm the idiot here. I have the cables from my USB devices (all the joysticks, etc) all zip-tied together for the sake of neatness. I thought I had them all disco'd from the motherboard, but one lone plug remained. I'll determine which device it was later; my suspicion is that it was the Thrustmaster throttle stick from the Warthog set. In any event, after verifying that the only thing connected were mouse/keybd, the motherboard began POSTing far more reliably.

To further verify this, I connected the aforementioned devices to a powered USB 3 hub, connected that to the motherboard, and then killed the power to the hub. Sure enough, the mobo POSTed fine; as soon as I saw the little Windows spinning dots, I powered the hub on.

If this is indeed the issue, then it's interesting that a USB device could be throwing the mobo off like that. Again, the devices:
- Unicomp IBM M-style USB keyboard
- Logitech G500 mouse
- Thrustmaster Warthog joystick
- Thrustmaster Warthog throttle stick
- Saitek Pro rudder pedals
- multi (SD/CF/etc) card reader (forget brand name)
- powered USB 3 hub (forget brand name)

The hub and the card reader are the only things that are actually USB 3. The rest are 2.

In any event, I apologize for getting folks spun up over this; it was a very challenging troubleshooting issue just due to ignorance on my part: I didn't realize that cable was actually connected to the back of the motherboard. Doh!

Praz
Level 13
Hello

Tune for stability and those issues will go away.

Korth
Level 14
Test the system with a different PSU?
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]