cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tuf Gaming A15 laptop Ryzen Cpu problems and crashing!

Kaloyan056
Level 7
Hello! I have the Asus Tuf Gaming A15 laptop with a Ryzen 7 4800h CPU*and GTX1660 Ti GPU. At first I didn't have any problems, but one or two months later I started to get a lot of BSODS and they all said that the driver "ntoskrnl.exe" caused the issue. Later I started to get other weird problems like the laptop randomly Black screening and the only way to fix it was by hard reboot and "Status_Access_Violation" errors. I have done all kinds of software troubleshooting and I even clean installed windows a few times but the problems were still there. Then I noticed that in task manager the CPU for some weird reasons was at a very high clock speeds (even at idle) and was trying to overclock itself (from ~2.9 ghz to 4.25 ghz). Then I decided to enable the "Power Saver" power plan in windows control panel which kept the CPU at ~1.3 ghz clock speed and ALL of my problems were gone! Is this a defective CPU or is it some kind of a software problem?
6 REPLIES 6

RedSector73
Level 12
Firstly I would try rebuilding the OS (fresh install if I was doing this but completely up to you)

Keep an eye on temps as may indicate cpu/gpu issue.

The error may be defective RAM module (in any case, inc cpu if defective than its a warranty issue)

I actually own two of these laptops without the issue (cold confort) but you would be within rights to claim warranty.
There was update recently with windows 10 for a asus driver that caused one of my laptop system to blue screen and had to rebuild it with fresh install, the other actually installed the update without issue. My laptop systems are basically identical.

Hope you find this helpful.

As I said I have done a fresh install of windows a few times. I passed memtest86 without any errors.

RedSector73
Level 12
fresh install from usb image?

anyway than default to next advice, claim warranty.

After I changed my power strip and updated windows a few times my problems seem to have dissapeared. The cpu only goes up to 4ghz now. Also I'm kind of screwed because I lost my box and warranty documents

Kaloyan056 wrote:
After I changed my power strip and updated windows a few times my problems seem to have dissapeared. The cpu only goes up to 4ghz now. Also I'm kind of screwed because I lost my box and warranty documents

I dont undertand, I live in Australia and we have strong consumer laws, none of that would stop warranty claim here.

Well, it's different here in Bulgaria.